Receiver for my Setup?

Mesz

Hello all,

I'm new to buying speakers and receivers so my knowledge about them is pretty slim. I want to get these speakers, a preamp, and a receiver to upgrade the sound coming out of my turntable. I've been doing a lot of research online the past few days on what receiver I should get for the speakers that I want, which are listed below. I'm not asking for receiver recommendations; I just want to get a better grasp on what to look for. So my first question is about power. The front speakers (excluding the center speaker which is at 100 w cont) and surround speakers are rated at 75 w cont. Do I look for a receiver that puts out a little bit above 75 w per channel rms at 8 ohm (8 ohm is the speakers nominal impedance)? I've read a lot of conflicting opinions on this. What I've seen mostly is that you should get a receiver that puts out more power than what your speakers are rated at because if you under power them you can damage them. I just don't want to buy some really nice speakers and then damage them because I don't know what receiver I should get. Also, if I were to get an external preamp, how would that effect the specs of the receiver (if it does at all)? I know that if you get an external amp and connect it to a receiver it will just bypass the receivers amp if you plug it into the appropriate inputs. So will a preamp have any effect like this? If there are any other important things I should look for in a receiver please enlighten me and thank you in advance!

RP-150M bookshelf speakers

RP-250C center channel speaker

RP-240S surround speakers

R-110SW subwoofer

254090.pdf

R-110SW_-_Spec_Sheet_635466333600152000.pdf

RP-150M-Spec-Sheet.pdf

RP-250C-Spec-Sheet.pdf

•  
Edited by Mesz

You need to look for an AVR that has the features you want mainly.  Secondly, you need to disregard watts.  Most AVR's have misleading power ratings.  Few - if any - under the $1000 will provide you with more than about 80 WPC when all channels are active.  Most will provide you that with 2 channels at a time, but not all.  Klipsch speakers, likewise, do not need much power.  It's not about quantity,  but quality.

I encourage a modest modification to your proposed speakers (assuming you didn't buy them) - 

RP-160M's - yes, they're worth the price increase

RP-440C - again, worth it

R-112SW - see above

The RP-240S should suffice.

AVR's you want to look at would vary depending on your budget, but you'll want to examine Pioneer Elite's in the SC series (not LX), Marantz, Denon X series, and Yamaha Aventage (I highly recommend Integra too - above the rest - depending on your feature desires) - those are the usual culprits and should provide you with what you want.

If you opt for pre-amp and power amps, that opens a whole new realm of possibilities, but the question I'd pose at that point is what is your end goal?

You won't damage speakers by using a 50 WPC system, if those 50 watts are decent quality.  Likewise, it's highly unlikely you will ever utilize more than 8 or 16 watts under normal conditions.  Your peaks will use more - upwards to 80 or 100 watts, depending on your listening level.