Chorus I HELP needed

Reisman

Running into obstacles trying to determine some information to handle my Chorus I vintage speakers. These were made back in 1988. I just discovered a tear in the woofer cone of one of them. I have no idea how this could even happen. Does age and just playing them somewhat loud (not excessive) cause this? I would appreciate an opinion on likely cause....

At any rate, I need to replace the woofer, and I have spoken to people at Klipsch who have no technical information or specifications to help me out. They tell me that the K-48-E is the woofer that was designated to go in those, although I have not extracted the speaker yet to confirm that. They tell me the K-48-EP is the replacement for that, but they can't tell me if it is an exact replacement, is a cheaper alternative, or if it is different in some way. That is what they have now, but before leaping I would like to know in detail, specification & performance comparisons between the two.

The second part of this is will there be enough difference in the two that I should buy two (2) of these and replace the one in the fellow speaker at the same time?

Any other suggestions that you know, historically speaking, would go into that one speaker?

Also have heard patching the defect with silicone would buy time until a replacement can be found. Not sure the best approach. Someone may have a replacement woofer or would know how to solve my problem, and I would be most appreciative, so I can make an informed and accurate decision..

I would appreciate any help on my questions.

Sincerely,

Mike Reisman
(480) 694-4808 - cell
reism@cox.net
37697 N. 94th Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85262-2539

Subwoofer Tear 1.jpg

Klipsch Label 1.jpg

Hello Mark, a few members here have found a cheaper alternative to brand name replacement speakers.

The Eminence Kappa 15C in this case, and many others, would likely be the same or better and they are significantly lower cost.

I have used them in Cornwalls and LaScalas and not found them lacking in any way. 

The Chorus 1 does not spec as low as the Cornwall to begin with so it would be ever better suited for that application.

I would be inclined to change out both woofers if they are different models (OCD...lol).

Ebay sometimes has just what you need too if you are diligent and it’s not urgent.

You could touch up the tear with glue in the meantime and still use your speakers.

Re-coning is an option too, but I have never gone that route.

Wait, wait, wait

IMO, the above post is giving some suspect advice and suggesting that a single driver can be substituted for both the K-33 and K-48.

I would either re-cone the speaker or buy a K-48 from Klipsch. If you insist on trying to substitute a driver, then check with Bob Crites to see if he has something or what he might suggest. In a vented system like the Chorus, the box geometry is heavily determined by the specs on the driver. 

Swapping drivers may lead to disaster 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am with the try the repair first idea. I have had pro SLV guys tell me stories about gluing tears and getting years more service in unfriendly environments. Lots of ideas for glue floating around and I suspect many work just fine. I have used the black speaker cement sold by various re cone and speaker parts sellers with success. The repair could ding the value if you resell but if you keep them who cares and save the money.

• Like 2

Best to find a correct used klipsch replacement, they do show up on ebay from time to time.  Or I would suggest having it reconed from a place like simply speakers, they have the correct type cones & would be the cheapest option... next to repairing it.  Looks like an easy fix, you can use elmers type glue carefully in the tear & push it together with a piece of tape from the back to hold it untill dry, probably can barely see it afterwrods.  Then remove the tape & use the glue & paper trick on the back side for strength, I've used cig papers with good results but have heard of tissue or coffe filters too. 

Weldbond (what djk recommends) is readily available, dries clear and stays flexible. I've used it on tears in cones and on surrounds (rubber and fabric). If you are careful, you don't need any on the front, or very little. Thin a tiny bit with wat and use a small brush on the back side. Do multiple coats so you don't have a thick mess. Should only take a couple hours (put on a coat, let dry, repeat...). Other than time it only costs about $5.

Bruce

I would fix it first.

Do Not use silicone, it won't stay.  Nor shoo goo, it is heavy if it will also stay on. 

If anybody knows a better way djk should.  I have been successful with Elmer's paper glue, smoothing it thin and closing the edges with my fingers.  I like the idea of cigarette paper for reinforcement; on the back if accessible. 

Thanks for everyone's help. I am going to do the glue repair very carefully first, and stay on the lookout for the real OEM replacement. I want to keep these and use them - not for sale. If a replacement OEM speaker becomes available and you happen to hear about it, please let me know. Mike Reisman (480) 694-4808 - reism@cox.net

Mike Reisman,

Don't reengineer this !!

First; That tear is in absolutely no way from normal use. Someone has either pushed them into something, something has fallen into them, or someone has kicked them or something of that sort has happened. Something ABSOLUTELY has come into forceful contact to do that !!

Second; Absolutely have one or both reconed. This is cheaper and will restore stock function to as new. Why use something similar when you have the orriginal and any reconer can get the corect parts !!

Roger

• Like 1

I would like to buy a used K-48 (one with no lettering after it, so it mirrors what I have now) - Just one, please. Looking on eBay and Craigslist, of course, but if anyone has a used speaker or damaged pair of Chorus I speakers, that might be the source. Please advise, and please keep on the lookout. Consider this a standing order / request.

Thanks, Mike Reisman

(480) 694-4808

Klipsch Woofer Label.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Seriously, try the Weldbond and tissue (tissue on the back). It  really works well. DJK never gave me bad advice over the years. Then you can take your time finding a replacement. 😁

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...