Is this asinine? 4 Ohm taps, in series: what happens?...

Endo

I have run this question past two very knowledgeable forum members/amp builders, and cannot resist the temptation to post it at-large, in the hopes that someone may have relevant experience and/or knowledge. This may be a crazy idea, ... but, in the spirit of exploration, here goes:

•What happens when the two channels from a stereo amp--each carrying identical inputs--are run in series (as a single signal)?

For instance, are the Ohms additive? Do a pair of 4 Ohm outputs combine into a usable 8 Ohms? What is the worst that can happen?

For clarification, please see attached picture...

4-6-8-Ohm-taps.jpg

10 hours ago, Schu said:

accomplish?

Simply curious. How might this sound? Would like to compare--but don't want to destroy anything by doing something stupid.

10 hours ago, babadono said:

tied in parallel...

Is this in-series, or parallel? Seems like series.

I'm no electronics expert, by any stretch--just a music lover. Have been trying to educate myself--but I still don't understand it. Found these diagrams and they got me to thinking something like this might be possible... 

ohm-fig2.gif

ohm-fig1.gif

Don't conflate series or parallel wiring of speakers with bridging amp channels.

Bridged amp channels will "see" half of the impedance, so an 8 ohm speaker appears as a 4 ohm load on bridged amps, etc.

Your idea is reminiscent of Decware's smallest amps, which can be series bridged because of the way the negative speaker leads are tied to ground (or not, as the case may be).  Their method appears to be different than what you have in your diagram.  In the case of the Decware amps, the speaker is connected to the pos of one channel, neg of the other, and the remaining unoccupied pos/neg posts are connected to each other. 

Don't do anything yet, at least not until you determine you won't fry your speakers or amp. 

You should post exactly what kit you're working with, and hopefully some of the more seasoned and knowledgeable members can shine some light on this.  

• Like 1

@EndoYour original post showed a parallel connection of two separate amp channels to one speaker. If these are standard amps with no provision made to be run in parallel it is a BAD idea.

The proper way to run an 8 ohm load in your diagram is to run it off the 8 ohm output instead of the 4 ohm output. And of course off just one amp channel.