speaker suggestions

graydy

Im using a dynaco st70, with Marantz 1090 as pre, powering a pair of r28f, 28x 22 room. These speakers sound good, but seem to be lacking in the mid section. What other Klipsh would be good to use with my set up. Would like to stay with newer speakers, heritage speakers are hard to find in my area, and new prices are out of my reach right now. Any recommendations would be appreciated. These r28f are my first klipsh speakers. Thanks

Welcome to the forum! The 2 way Klipsch speakers tend to not have the 'forward' mid range that a 3 way will have. Heresy's area  good option for this but are Heritage. The other 3 way Klipsch speakers that are newer are the KLF 20 and KLF 30. If you can find them used in your area they will be a good option. If you let us know what city you live in we can check out some local listings and give you recommendations. Also knowing your budget will help out as well.

im in north bay Ontario, as for buget you asking me or wife lol, all depends on the speaker. I did listn to a pair of heresey, actually auditioned them on another st70 tube amp that I had sold  the guy  selling those speakers.Found them little weak in the bottom end.The 28 sounds good but feel something missing in mid.Ill keep looking in classifies around here, but people really want too much for used around here...Peter

• Like 1

If you happen to like Klipsch which I do there are not a lot of options. New is expensive for good sound and used vintage Klipsch makes great sound but may take a lengthy drive and patience to find. How long have you been looking and where have you been looking? Buya and Letgo for example have produced bargains for me and they are not as well known as Craigslist so fewer know to look there. Diligence is the key and you have to look every night if you are serious because deals wont last long. When I am on the hunt it is every day and can take time.

I had a look this morning in your area and it is pretty grim today. Have you considered building something?

Thanks for reply guys. Yes pretty grim in my area. Yes I have considered building a pair with full range, I have a pair of diy full range, with cheap radio shack drivers, believe it or not they sound ok but just ok lol. I think I have a lead on a pair of forte11 with crites upgrades, along with couple other components, wich are dynaco pas3 tube pre, witch I could use, and a Yamaha c800, asking price is 1400.00 Canadian. Ill send an offer shortly. I do like the r28f towers, will delegate these for home theatre if all works out

I'll go along with the others suggesting the Fortes.
They are a great sounding speaker with good range. A used pair of Forte IIs can be found in the $600-$700 range and you can upgrade the x-overs (Crites) at your leisure.
I purchased my Forte IIs back in 1989 and still love them. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

well the forte deal fell through, but with a little more searching I found a pair of Heresy1 for 300.00 Canadian, had to refinish cabs, someone coated them with a thick coat of polly of some sort, but 5 hrs later they look great. As for sound, with tubes they are fantastic, then added a sub to system and wow, really put the towers to shame. Thanks to all replys, im now a hertage fan for life.....Now I wonder if the mate would like khorns lol

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Deang said:

The Heresy is 2/3 of a Klipschorn, right?

Congrats, I know from experience that that can be a very satisfying sound. 

You could add a lot of that missing 3rd back in by doing the Claude "Super Heresy" upgrade on your new speakers. 

I am in the middle of the process myself.  One cabinet completely stripped, will do the glue, sanding and priming soon, and I have updgraded the crossover myself.  I am doing one speaker at a time, to be able to do an A/B comparison, one original and one upgraded.  Plus, it is fun to work on a project like this.  I've been doing watch rebuilds for the last few years, so it is nice to work with screws I can actually SEE.

• Like 2

Got them from a friend, we deal with each other all the time, hard to get quality items here, and most people wont ship....looking for a dual 1219 turntable, found2... one fella wont ship, and the other changed his mind after making the deal

• 3 weeks later...

thought i would update a bit. I ended up redoing xovers with crites rebuild kit on the heresy. Totally restored my Marantz 1090, during this process I came across a dh110 preamp. Whis is a hafler design, pairing this with my dynaco st70 tube amp, also a haffler design. Well these pair very well together, and makes the heresy come alive, I also use klipsch 10 sub, but very subtle, depending on the source and music being played. I am very happy with the heresy...But have a line on a set of khorns hmmm. Thanks for all advice from you fellas...Ended up with a dual 1209 as well, great little table....Pete