Stereophile on the Heresy III

SiliconTi

If I were to restrict myself to good recordings, that sound fine on my Klipschorns, Belle, Heresy IIs and even my old JBLs and ADCs, I would say that every one of these sound good on each pair of speakers.  True, some characteristics of the recordings come over better on some of the speakers than others; there's no other speaker that I own that has the dynamics of the Klipschorns.  But none of the speakers give offense with any of those "good" recordings.

"Bad" recordings, especially harsh ones, sound bad on all of my speakers, except, possibly, the ADC, which is not very clear and is generally veiling.  That's when a veiling, "pleasant" sounding speaker would protect against such recordings.  Two CD companies tend to produce recordings that tend toward stridency to my ears -- Chandos and Virgin.  I admit I'm going by a small N here, in that I only have a handful of each, but is it a coincidence that they are both British, and may be monitored on "pleasant' sounding British speakers?

8 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

Keep them on the slant risers...

and put them in the corners...!

The room they are in won't allow corner placement. My listening room with corners are occupied by my Khorns. I think that's fair to both sets of speakers.. 

cincy

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cincymat said:

The room they are in won't allow corner placement. My listening room with corners are occupied by my Khorns. I think that's fair to both sets of speakers.. 

cincy

Then leave them on the floor...

And back'um up to the wall...

About 8'' out... And triangulate for your listening sweet spot....

I have three pairs of Heresy III' and two pairs of Forte III's.  H3's are terrific speakers.  They are very dynamic and alive.  I really like the efficiency.  I have two pairs on stands about 10" high and one pair on the original stands.  I do like the mid range horn of the Forte III's a little better but it is a subtle difference.  

• Like 1

I believe in science.  The problem with measurement results for speakers is that they are so complex and difficult to measure.  There is a good YT video of a lecture by the guy who did (does?) the technical measurements for Stereophile.  It is interesting to hear him talk about how the measurements are so difficult to interpret ---- and how they do not always correspond to the sound of the speakers.  I do wish that we had tests of Klipsch speakers by him, along with his comments.  It would be interesting.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, teashea said:

I believe in science.  The problem with measurement results for speakers is that they are so complex and difficult to measure.  There is a good YT video of a lecture by the guy who did (does?) the technical measurements for Stereophile.  It is interesting to hear him talk about how the measurements are so difficult to interpret ---- and how they do not always correspond to the sound of the speakers.  I do wish that we had tests of Klipsch speakers by him, along with his comments.  It would be interesting.

John Atkinson does the testing for Stereophile I believe, you might be able to find it that way.

Where are you located?  You need to visit Klipsch Museum and/or Pilgramage in the Spring, you will be able to see and hear about how Klispch does all of their testing, etc.  

• Moderators
2 hours ago, teashea said:

I have three pairs of Heresy III' and two pairs of Forte III's.  H3's are terrific speakers.  They are very dynamic and alive.  I really like the efficiency.  I have two pairs on stands about 10" high and one pair on the original stands.  I do like the mid range horn of the Forte III's a little better but it is a subtle difference.  

You certainly have the new Heritage bug!

• 1 year later...

Well, I am going to revive this thread because, well, it it mine and I can.

I purchased a pair today for a screaming deal. Early testing results: I think I like them better than my La Scalas...

Hmm..

I no longer have the Cornwalls (which I loved) to compare them to.

I'll post real listening results once they are properly installed.