Klipschorn woofer cabinet unopenable. Help.

Hi all

im upgrading my pair of khorn. They are 1971 and I’m replacing the crossover (typeA) with crites crossover A4500 together with new tweeter crites CT120 (they replace the old K-77 round magnet).

As I’m doing this I also re cabled with new cables all the mid, bass and tweeter connectors. The only part I miss is the inside of the woofer.

Well I unscrewed the screws to remove the wooden plate to acces to the woofer and somehow the plate will not come off. It looks like the sealing turned into some sort of glue, tar like, very sticky that makes impossible to detach the wooden plate.

Does anybody here saw this already and achieved to remove the plate without damaging the cabinet? Any advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any tip and help.

AB

6 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Try a putty knife and a lot of time and gentle persuasion.  A little prying, a little tapping with a hammer.  Clean and Replace the gasket with new after you get it off. 

048661109977lg.jpg

Hi there

thank you for your answer.

what kind/brand of gasket should I use to replace the old one?

best

aB

Don't know.  I did this to my La Scalas about 20 years ago (just to see what was inside).  i think I bought this gasket from Parts-express.com.  I suspect you are not in the U.S., so I don't know how well that would work. 

Perhaps this?

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-speaker-gasketing-tape-1-8-x-1-2-x-50-ft-roll--260-542

Looking at that,I think you may also be able to use weather striping tape available at most hardwear stores.

Something like this

https://www.amazon.ca/Frost-King-V442H-Vinyl-8-Inch/dp/B000BQRQA0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527570949&sr=8-2&keywords=weather+stripping+tape

theirs tons of variations /sizes got to be 1 out there that would work

• 2 weeks later...