R112SW: Silent "plop" sound when sub turns off?

Spockster

After one week i absolutely love this sub and i wouldn't change it for anything. 

There's only one little thing i recognised. Everytime the sub switches itself off, i hear a silent "plop" sound. Very quiet, but recognisable. Is that normal with that sub or is there a problem with the one i got?

If you don't want to hear that "plop", then turn down the volume.  Keep in mind that is the speaker powering down, and when no signal is going into it, and the power is cut, then that is what happens.  You have to think "old school" when dealing with highly efficient speakers, to include subwoofers.  Whenever powering down amps (to include built-in amps on many subs!), you turn the volume down before cutting off the speaker, then you wait a few seconds before cutting the power from the amp itself which is sending the signal to the subwoofer.  Nowadays things p[ower up faster and ppower down faster, but the "old school" general rule SHOULD still be used for powering up and powering down.  It saves wear on all components involved, especially the amplifier section(s) and the speakers' drivers, themselves.

That’s a good rule to follow
but I have owned over 200 different Klipsch products and over 50 of their products with their power amps in them and I’ve never had one that thumps when it turned on or off there’s obviously something wrong with the amp
Even if you have the gain all the way up on the plate amplifier on the receiver, it should still not have a thump sound of any sorts when powering on or off
He has stated that it even does it with no Signal cable hooked to it from the receiver

7 hours ago, Spockster said:

So turning down the volume during a movie is not my choice

Turn the sub volume down on the plate amp and increase the signal coming out of your AVR.  You'll keep the same overall volume and the sub will receive a hotter signal to keep the auto on feature awake.

• Like 2

Both my Yamaha NS-SW700 Subwoofers (one second hand one brand new) makes this "plop" sound.

19 hours ago, Spockster said:

And if i watch a movie it also turns off while there is no sub action, and thats's hearable as well. So turning down the volume during a movie is not my choice. 😉

I'll tell you their answer as soon as i get one.

on my Yamaha NS-SW700 I didn't like the auto standby function, I have it on always on, but controll the power by a MASTER/SLAVE power distribution unit (actually an APC ES 700 UPS) so whenever I turn on my TV both of my subwoofers torn on automatically. Works very well :)

It's normal to hear the sub's amp switching on and off.  All the subs in my place are set to Auto-On.  With the Yamaha YST-SW90 subs in the bedroom, there's just a faint click from each one when they power on or off.  The living room Paradigm PW-2100 makes a louder, but still unobtrusive sound when it powers on or off.

On a related note, the Yamahas remain powered on until they've gone 17 minutes without a bass signal, while the Paradigm shuts off in 7 minutes.  Sometimes, if I'm listening to talk radio, and a woman is speaking, the sub won't turn on, then, when it hears a man's deeper voice, it does switch on.

If the system is powered off, to change a connection or the like, for example, and then turned back on in less than 7 minutes, the Paradigm sub makes a noticeable thump, and that's something I now avoid, by waiting until the sub's internal clock has finished counting down before powering up the system again.

• 4 years later...
On 5/30/2018 at 9:54 AM, CECAA850 said:

Turn the sub volume down on the plate amp and increase the signal coming out of your AVR.  You'll keep the same overall volume and the sub will receive a hotter signal to keep the auto on feature awake.

I'm having the exact symptoms as "Spockster" on my new Klipsch Reference 5.1.4 Atmos system.  Purchased Feb 2022.  About 5 min after I power down everything the sub makes a fairly loud pop and I just noticed on some old content (Seinfeld) it will cut off during the episode.  It sounds like CECAA850 is onto the fix, but I could use clarification on what to turn down on my sub (Low Pass or Gain) and how do you do the increase on the AVR?  Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

Was there any response from klipsch support regarding this issue ?
I currently have a r100sw sub and I am experiencing this problem, when the subwoofer is turned on or off you hear the "plop" sound.

Thanks in advance
Regards

The "click" heard when a subwoofer turns on is a relay closure. I'm betting the "thump" heard is the relay de-energizing.

I wonder whether Klipsch has a flyback diode across the relay's coil, and whether that would cure the turn-off thump?