Greatest Albums of All Time

Jeff Matthews

29 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

But Black Sabbath is the heaviest

Nonsense.  A pale imitation.  A whiter shade of pale?  No, not even that.  Sabbath was good for a sardonic laugh, but seriously, remember the guys who were into them at the time?  Metallica is more worthy as a comparison, but what we are talking about are all followers of the band that invented the genre.

36 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Nonsense.  A pale imitation.  A whiter shade of pale?  No, not even that.  Sabbath was good for a sardonic laugh, but seriously, remember the guys who were into them at the time?  Metallica is more worthy as a comparison, but what we are talking about are all followers of the band that invented the genre.

Are you talking about mc5 ?

GOAT albums?  I take it you guys are looking at pop/rock albums. not a Greatest Hits compilation.  Some of the early Beatles albums had a bunch of #1 hit singles on them.  Elton John had a ton of albums that were #1 before they were even released, like Yellow Brick Road.

Let me think about it.

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

Sorry for the zep fans ...

But Black Sabbath is the heaviest

My two favorite bands. album for album, listening at the same volume Zeppelin is heavier. Sabbath is certainly great, and darker. Both of their debut albums, are my faves...

My GOAT would then be Beethoven's Symphony #9.  Nothing else is even close from start to finish.

For something from the last century Queen's A Night at the Opera would be a solid pick.  Great songs make great albums.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Composition is not enough.  name the orchestra, conductor and perhaps label.

Karajan, Berlin Phillharmonique.  Duetch Grammafone.  The best conductor in the world conducting one of the best symphonic orchestras in the world on an album with fantastic production value.

That's from memory, not from Google.  Forgive the poor spelling I'm sure.

56 minutes ago, geoff. said:

A9BE5AC1-8067-47D7-B00B-CEEF30B32806.jpeg

Maybe not my Greatest album in history but certainly one of Dread's best. Great band core members and even the passers by were cool. Been many years since I saw em' but the memories will last forever....For me it would be hard to come up with the best 100 albums. So much music so few years.........

10 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

Really?! No Dark Side of the Moon? It spent 741 weeks on the Billboard top 200 albums chart

It was #1 for one week in America, but did indeed stay on the BB top 200 as you said.

Rankings

The Dark Side of the Moon has frequently appeared on rankings of the greatest albums of all-time.[123] In 1987, Rolling Stone listed the record 35th on its "Top 100 Albums of the Last 20 Years",[124] and sixteen years later, in 2003 the album polled in 43rd position on the magazine's list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time".[125]and was voted 43rd again on the magazine's 2012 list.[126] In 2006, it was voted "My Favourite Album" by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's audience.[127]NME readers voted the album eighth in their 2006 "Best Album of All Time" online poll,[128] and in 2009, Planet Rock listeners voted the album the "greatest of all time".[129] The album is also number two on the "Definitive 200" list of albums, made by the National Association of Recording Merchandisers "in celebration of the art form of the record album".[130] It came 29th in The Observer's 2006 list of "The 50 Albums That Changed Music",[131] and 37th in The Guardian's 1997 list of the "100 Best Albums Ever", as voted for by a panel of artists and music critics.[132] The album's cover has been lauded by critics and listeners alike, VH1 proclaiming it the fourth greatest in history,[133] and Planet Rock listeners the greatest of all time.[134] In 2013, (snip)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon#Rankings

• Thanks 1