K-77 diaphragms

Emile

Hi All,

Quick question ... picking up a pair Of Heresy I's this coming Wednesday and one has a blown (?) K-77 tweeter. So; will replace the diaphragms (in both). Yes; know to stay away from the aftermarket Chinese crap :D 

Normally would buy them from Bob Crites ... but SimplySpeakers.com is 5 miles away from me and of course I want to fix them "now." Their diaphragm https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-k77-89486a-2.html has been used/reviewed by @CECAA850, @moray james(I think) with results as "good."  But believe @jason str labeled them as garbage :D 

Should I just (wait a couple of days) and get the Crites' ones or are the diaphragms from SimplySpeakers the same?

Many Thanks, Emile

you are thinking of the ti tweeter replacement for the K76 tweeter. Bob can sell you an improved phenolic tweeter which is a direct drop in for the K77 the CT125 or other better units to fit your budget. The CT125 are very good I used them in my Heresy and liked them a lot very smooth. good luck

• Like 1

Just for the record ... got a response from SimplySpeakers ... 

"we have never had any performance issues with these, and we sell a LOT of them. I am sure we would have heard of any issues by now.

Occasionally someone (including us) goofs an install and gets a rub or poor performance, but its not due to the quality of the part.

FYI, these are not produced in China, they are made in Thailand (if that matters?!)"

EndQuote

:D who knows :( Guess for $20 I might try one if I need it :D 

Add-on ... replaced my K-77 tweeter diaphragm with one by SimplySpeakers.com ...  https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-diaphragm-k77-89486a.html#tab-3 .  (Talked to the General Manager and he assured me they were "NOT" the crappy Chinese ones.)  Tested it with frequencies up to 18KHz (OK; that's where my hearing stops :( ) and it sounded very clear. (Heard the Chinese ones barely get to 15KHz.) Also tested it with Perlman's Tchaikovsky's #1 Violin Concerto ... very clear.

OK; going to replace the second (working) tweeter diaphragm ... as we all know they have to be done "in pairs." :D  Just my 2 cents.

Cheers, Emile

do the little round "bullet" tweeters such as B&C De35 and its PRV knockoff , blend well in Klipsch setups?  They would be hard to fit in place of a K77.

Here's my right K-horn with mic axis between the K400 mid and K77 tweeter horns - MBGO caps

I've probably not heard 18KHz since 1968 ;^(

5qLykfJ.gif

30 minutes ago, Deang said:

Buy a better tweeter. Seriously. 

Yes ... but these are just on my home 7.1 A/V system ... got KPT-904's on a seperate amp for "better" sound. :D Still very impressed by these "small" Heresy's. :) 

Add-on ... got the Bob Crites CT125's for my Cornwall's ... did not notice much of a difference :( 

29 minutes ago, Deang said:

Btw, if Bob says those diaphragms are junk - they are.

Usually believe Bob. But think he is wrong on these. Tested them to 18KHZ (limit of my hearing :) ) and they sound very good :D