K-77 diaphragms

Emile

9 minutes ago, Deang said:

Bob is never wrong.

I extremely appreciate Bob's opinions, honesty, integrity and comments.  But he is not a Klipsch "GOD."  I've spend thousands of $$ based on his recommendations.  Some good; some bad.  Yes; if he could "personally" hear my "stuff" I would follow his advise without any questions.  But some of his advise is just "generic" ... like "yes; if your xo's are over 20 years old; replace them."

Cheers, Emile

22 minutes ago, Emile said:

like "yes; if your xo's are over 20 years old; replace them."

and you question that?  I think Bob has tested enough caps and autoformers and inductors to know what he is talking about.  Do you have the test equipment to do what Bob does?  If so, and you have the informed knowledge that Bob has, then more power to you.  Otherwise, you need to listen more, and talk less.

18 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

and you question that?  I think Bob has tested enough caps and autoformers and inductors to know what he is talking about.

Thanks for your comment.  Yes; "I question that." Sure Bob has tested enough xo's ... but guess my "ears" are not up to Bob's standards. :( 

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

nd you question that?  I think Bob has tested enough caps and autoformers and inductors to know what he is talking about.  Do you have the test equipment to do what Bob does?  If so, and you have the informed knowledge that Bob has, then more power to you.  Otherwise, you need to listen more, and talk less.

Add-on ... Do not question Bob's expertise :)  Just question "general" statements like "20 yr old xo's, they "HAVE TO BE REPLACED."  Replaced mine in CW's ... to me it was a waste of money. :( 

• Like 1

Perhaps you and Bob are both correct.  It’s my understanding that Bob tested those diaphragms and found the quality and performance to be inconsistent.  That’s not to say that some, even most, couldn’t be OK.  It could only mean that  Bob isn’t willing to inflict the high possibility of a dud on his customers.

Afterall, Klipsch cherry picked T35s from EV and rejected those it deemed suboptimal.  Did that mean that K77s were always better than T35s?  No, it meant Klipsch only sold T35s it tested as K77s.

I agree that risking $20 to get something that works now makes sense, especially if they sound OK.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Question. Why is Bob so Highly Regarded?  I have a pair of Heresy I, and am unsure if the investment in new crossover and CT 120 tweeters would be worthwhile.  Have  read various forums which state they are too dominating and lead to some fatigue over the 77 original tweeters.  Please share if you have similar issues experience?

31 minutes ago, Adrianmz said:

Question. Why is Bob so Highly Regarded?  I have a pair of Heresy I, and am unsure if the investment in new crossover and CT 120 tweeters would be worthwhile.  Have  read various forums which state they are too dominating and lead to some fatigue over the 77 original tweeters.  Please share if you have similar issues experience?

My friendly suggestion is first to honestly asses the strengths and weaknesses of your set up.

If you feel there is a deficit in the two higher octaves, then by all means go ahead and consider the new tweeters. The refreshed capacitors are a different story since they are relatively inexpensive and can be done by you or a friend with a soldering pencil. 

Please keep in mind that there is not much energy coming out of the tweeter to begin with. If you are inclined, disconnect the woofer and midrange and listen to what remains. You might be surprised. 

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 7:03 PM, Emile said:

But some of his advise is just "generic" ... like "yes; if your xo's are over 20 years old; replace them."

No it is not just generic it is a provable benefit. I have the same B&K 885 meter as he does and not one crossover I have had has had acceptable capacitors. I think he recommends replacing capacitors always but that is not a new crossover that is a recap. Not one old capacitor I have measured has low ESR even if the caps UF was in specs and yes that does matter.

• Like 1

There is another issue at play here regarding  diaphragm replacements. I had a set of Ti diaphragms for a K-792-K recently and decided to run a frequency sweep on them just for the heck of it and the two were really different. So I took the one that had low output and rotated it 120 degrees and NOTHING came out. Went and rotated it another 120 degrees and they both sounded right on and balanced. I have read that it is best to do frequency sweeps when setting up diaphragms before and from now on it is the only way I will do these. I do not know which was eccentric to the other on the one tweeter but there was a way to make it right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1