Most Important part of home audio

I have spent years looking for My own Nirvana (I think everyone has priorities that matter to them) For me it is great Music, Cohesive Detailed sound, a fill spectrum, and SOUNDSTAGE, Soundstage, soundstage.  I absolutely love it when a room comes together and the stage just unfolds in front of me. IME there must be a few things come together for this to happen. Gear, Source, & setup

I must admit I am pretty happy with current setup, Digital Source (PC and Cd) > Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC > DIY Simple Pre from Audio Karma project Built by Justin > Pass ACA Amps also built by Justin >  Crown XLS1002 amp for Bass > Madisound BK-16 with 168 Sigma driver, and for Bass a pair of 12 Inch Peerless DIY Sealed subs, The speakers built by me, And the last piece of the puzzle was speaker placement Using the Gold Cuboid measurements described by George Cardas

For the first time in my audio  Journey My wife sat in the sweet spot and actually enjoyed herself and convinced me to set up everything somewhat permanently (shes a keeper) though it meant the living room is now set up for optimum listening and movies only.

So what are your priorities when it comes to home audio ?

There are several things that raise my skirt... great resolution with smooth liquidity, a spacial sound stage with great pin point separation and tight cohesiveness in the LOW frequencies.

Frankly I found everything I love with my new Focal headphones with Beryllium drivers... they are spooky good, but they don't have the wide spatial quality a floor stander has. These really have me wanting Beryllium drivers for my floor standers.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Hate when that happens.

But to be serious for a second and I hate to do it. 

Nothing is set in this hobby, brands, big names, cost, spec's,  but when you hear that sound you know it's right and something is working well together. Like sometimes when you walk into a business and after a minute you notice the sound is much better than average, it just gets your attention and makes you notice the difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schu said:

There are several things that raise my skirt... great resolution with smooth liquidity, a spacial sound stage with great pin point separation and tight cohesiveness in the LOW frequencies.

Frankly I found everything I love with my new Focal headphones with Beryllium drivers... they are spooky good, but they don't have the wide spatial quality a floor stander has. These really have me wanting Beryllium drivers for my floor standers.

I got deep into cans out of necessity at first then learned to love them, I started back on speakers and for awhile I was still more into cans. now that things have come together with the speakers I am back with them to stay. I will however be keeping my Astell Kern Jr with the IEM's for quiet times. 

40 minutes ago, dtel said:

Hate when that happens.

But to be serious for a second and I hate to do it. 

Nothing is set in this hobby, brands, big names, cost, spec's,  but when you hear that sound you know it's right and something is working well together. Like sometimes when you walk into a business and after a minute you notice the sound is much better than average, it just gets your attention and makes you notice the difference.

I can no longer count the times I thought I was all set in this hobby. Things have changed so many times. It was a fun journey but lately the fun is more often replaced with frustration of dealing with people that obviously have different priorities when it comes to buying / selling than I have. I am actually content with tweaking what I have now and do not feel the desire to search for the latest greatest.  Improving sound is where I am at, not through buying so much but tweaking.  The Dr's  tell me I will be stove up for 6 or more weeks and having a decent setup that is now pleasing should help with the recovery.......................That and Drugs :wink:  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, joessportster said:

I have spent years looking for My own Nirvana (I think everyone has priorities that matter to them) For me it is great Music, Cohesive Detailed sound, a fill spectrum, and SOUNDSTAGE, Soundstage, soundstage.  I absolutely love it when a room comes together and the stage just unfolds in front of me. IME there must be a few things come together for this to happen. Gear, Source, & setup

I must admit I am pretty happy with current setup, Digital Source (PC and Cd) > Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC > DIY Simple Pre from Audio Karma project Built by Justin > Pass ACA Amps also built by Justin >  Crown XLS1002 amp for Bass > Madisound BK-16 with 168 Sigma driver, and for Bass a pair of 12 Inch Peerless DIY Sealed subs, The speakers built by me, And the last piece of the puzzle was speaker placement Using the Gold Cuboid measurements described by George Cardas

For the first time in my audio  Journey My wife sat in the sweet spot and actually enjoyed herself and convinced me to set up everything somewhat permanently (shes a keeper) though it meant the living room is now set up for optimum listening and movies only.

So what are your priorities when it comes to home audio ?

Joe,

Cardas did not orriginate the Gold Cuboid !!

Look up Golden Mean Cube, or something like that and add in Paul Klipsch. Paul did this before Cardas knew what a cable was !!

Roger

Joe,

It was in the Dope from Hope in Feb. 1968, Volume 9  No. 1 and dimentions are 16 feet by 25 feet by 10 feet high

Pauls Dimensions are for a pair of Klipschorns shoved in the corners on the 16 foot wall. Interesting that Cardas is only 1 foot diferent on one measurenment.

Cardas was 24 years old and worked for the Telephone Company when Paul wrote that.

Roger

4 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Joe,

Cardas did not orriginate the Gold Cuboid !!

Look up Golden Mean Cube, or something like that and add in Paul Klipsch. Paul did this before Cardas knew what a cable was !!

Roger

Thats great, I was not giving anyone credit, I was stating where I found the information. I am sure Paul Klipsch had his fingers in all type experimenting with all type of speakers.

• Like 1