The $150 system

kohill

I recently bought a little appj mini watt tube amp for 100 bucks. It took a month to come in. While I was waiting, I thought about what kind of speakers to pair with it. I looked at Parts Express. They had the B652’s on sale for 30 bucks a pair. Throw in an old DVD player as my source and I figure I’m out around $150. 

This setup sounds way better than you should expect for the price. Obviously, it gives up room dominating sound and low bass, but in a near field environment it is very satisfying. 

That has the dome tweeter.  I would have spent the extra ten bucks and see how that AMT folded tweeter sounds.  Those B652's have a 6.5" woofer, probably my favorite size for a woofer.

Like you said  for $150 that's a great little system.  :emotion-21:

I love putting together stuff like that -  my go-to for budget built systems is Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Offer Up, etc.

What was big $$ 10-30 years ago is often available today for pennies on the dollar (or free!). It's fun to see what you can put together on a budget.

Now, to argue against my original claim that cheap stuff can sound good, I put the little amp into my main system. 

It it replaced my Rotel RA 1570. An integrated that I really like. The appj amp gives up some details, especially at high volume, but brings bass and midrange lushness to the music. The RB-5’s like it. 

If you want some good cheap bookshelf speakers, keep an eye on your local listings for the Klipsch KSB 1.1 speakers. They usually range from $40 to $60 and really sing with their Tractrix horn. They are not very pretty in black but the white ones look nice.

image.png.5e82c34bf018dbb7bc8c5f8a981da763.png