RF82 with strange marks on drivers

Gwaihir

Update.

Got the same answer from Klipsch Norway as from the store where I bought them. The speakers have been played too loud with an amp not in total control

Have had these for some years now and always had the frontgrill on the speakers.

When I recently removed them I see these marks on the drivers/elements. Most on one of the speakers and a little on the other.

It looks to me as the marks could have come from some loose small objects inside the speaker as they look pushed from inside, but I know that is not supposed to be possible. I have spoken to the guys at the store and one told me it could be that the speakers have been run to hard with an amp not in total control of the bass. I hear no difference in sound, the speakers play well. I have used an Emotiva pre and amp Xpa3. I have not played that loud but maybe the kids have. 😊

Have any other experienced similar?

rps20180529_160044.jpg

rps20180529_155907.jpg

rps20180529_155841.jpg

Edited by Gwaihir

48 minutes ago, K5SS said:

I believe those marks are from people pushing on the cones and nothing more. Unless someone pushed really hard, it doesn’t effect the sound. Just leaves behind major eye sores. 

I might agree with you but some of those marks look pushed out from the inside.

Bill

It could be, as you say, that the elements have been tampered with from the outside but it looks as someone has pushed with a pencil several places from the backside, as the "mountains" appear on the outside and with no penetration. Sort of hard to create these marks from the outside i mean. But...I don't know.😊

Edited by Gwaihir

I have never heard of a speaker losing it's original shape from

being played too loud or with a lot of power.

I have , it seems, seen a few Klipsch drivers that have had distortions

in the cones--I do not know why. The ones I've seen here are in

the copper color cones. Is this a problem with this type of cone?

By drivers you mean the bass element?

I am Norwegian and not that familiar with these expressions. The two pics showing most damage are top and bottom element on the same speaker. The pic with very little marks are from the second speaker. The last element on the second speaker shows no marks.

Ronny

Maybe the lower driver but never the upper. The port has a tube going in a distance. And why would someone make that effort? I think... if the goal was to damage the drivers why not do it the easy way from the outside?

Edited by Gwaihir

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious. What would /could possibly cause that? Would something in the voice coil break somewhere, like the wire, and somehow slap the inside of the cone silly?

Or some other something break loose and pin ball around in there? Those drivers must have been moving a lot to cause that. But I'll admit I'm no expert.

The part with most of the dings in the center is the dust cover.  It looks to me like someone (usually kids or pets) pushed in the dust cover and then someone pulled it back out which can easily be done with a vacuum cleaner which will create those dings.  This is not uncommon, but you said you got them from a dealer and you have always had the grills on.  That does sound strange to me.  I cannot imagine those dings got there by playing them too loud.  I have never heard of that.

In any case it will not affect the sound as the outer cone simply pushes air and the dust cover keeps the dust out of the working parts.

Good luck and enjoy the great sound of those RF-82's!  You have some nice speakers.

• Like 1