KP-201s about to matriculate.

DizRotus

16 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I agree but the "building engineer" (we knew them as janitors in our day) seemed to want to stay within the grout lines.  If there are five attachments, the fifth, in the center, would need to be in a block.  I'll try to change his mind.

If that's the case you can still use toggle bolts just stay toward the center or actually slightly off center of the blocks.  Why does he want to stay in the grout lines.  That's the weakest part of the wall?  An anchor can pull out of grout but a toggle bolt won't pull out of a block.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Chains are not an option.  The ceilings are more than 20' above the floor.  The building engineer dismissed that idea immediately. 

16 hours ago, dtel said:

OK that's out.

The chapel at the college where I worked had 50ft ceilings. The speakers were suspended. It's all a matter of what folks are willing to do and what works best. Flying speakers is both art and science. Of course, that would make for long cable runs, but I've seen longer.

Bruce

I'd hook up safety chains though.  Something similar to what a boat trailer has.  If the main hangers fail (like if the fasteners were installed in grout) I'd want a back up safety device.  You don't want these coming down unannounced.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I'd hook up safety chains though.  Something similar to what a boat trailer has.  If the main hangers fail (like if the fasteners were installed in grout) I'd want a back up safety device.  You don't want these coming down unannounced.

Me being a wood guy I would ensure that the wood shelving was tripple strong for what is required. Then just set the speakers in their place, even on an angle of severity.

JJK

20'???  HAHAHAHA  That's a no brainer!  Geez you'd get a nose bleed workin up there but you'd look hot in those monkey straps secured to a ladder.  hahaha.  Grout lines SUCK and anyone with a brain knows it.  Toggle them to a block so they'll be there for the next 20 years..  Good vibrations, I'm gettin those good vibrations..🎵🎵🔊 are not meant for ANY grout lines.  Lags will pull out and Mr Janitor SHOULD know that.. Sounds like a statement for Mr Shop teacher to get involved in if he doesn't like the toggle bolts!  He just wants what's left of them after they pull out and fall then he can duck tape them together and use them in his janitor bat cave.  😂😂

• Haha 1

• Moderators

20' is not very high at all, but it looks like it when your there.

To bad they ruled out chain, they could have spun them around as a lesson on how a Leslie organ speaker sounds. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

20' is not very high at all, but it looks like it when your there.

To bad they ruled out chain, they could have spun them around as a lesson on how a Leslie organ speaker sounds. :biggrin:

NUTTIN better than a B-3 and Leslie!!!  :)

• Like 1

I guarantee you they won’t be anchored to grout.  I just need to diplomatically suggest another method.   Even with toggle bolts in the blocks, I still like a 1.5 “ (3/4 x 2) Baltic birch plywood base attached to block, with the brackets attached to the plywood bases by 1” screws.  Your thoughts please.

I agree with the safety cables.  You might recall the La Scalas for the high school.  Even though they sit flat on top of Instruments lockers they’re tethered with 3/4” nylon line with a bowline at each end though eyehooks in the speakers and the lockers.  One such hook is visible in the attached photo. The panel secured with wingnuts contains the ports for the djk bass reflex mod.  At the time of the photo, with help from Dennis, the networks were still being fine tuned.  Thank you Dennis, RIP.  Dennis was often terse, but he was never mean or nasty.  He is missed.

.post-6832-0-60120000-1423623361_thumb.jpg

post-6832-0-52040000-1423623860_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They’re ready to hang as soon as school gets out.  Note they’ll be upside down above the students’ heads firing down into the seating area.  Therefore, the mounting cups are in the nominal tops and the grilles are reversed.  

246C403E-BF4D-4C57-8F52-DB40EF8FDE1B.jpeg

58D832BD-EF3D-414F-8AAC-EB157BD1D04B.jpeg

• Like 2

Oops!  

First, one woofer was wired out of phase, so I pulled it to correct that.  Before replacing it, the tissue thin “gasket” Klipsch used was replaced by some adhesive backed foam tape from Parts Express.

I know better, but laziness blurred my judgment.  Using a cordless drill on the Phillips head machine screws twisted the head off one screw.  That necessitated again removing the woofer and painstakingly backing out the broken screw.  The woofer was replaced, but this time the drill was used only to start the screws. Final tightening was done by hand.

Everything checked out, so I put the screen grilles on.  The speakers sound quite good.  It’s rewarding to think of them hanging there for years helping to foster a love of music in young people.  The neighbors’ four-year-old might someday be one of those band students.

While enjoying them, it dawned on me that I forgot to install the screw eyes for the safety cables.  There’s no way around removing the grilles and the woofers to install the eyes.  While I’m at it, I’ll again remove the squawkers and tweeters to replace the  ephemeral Klipsch gaskets with the thicker PE gasket tape.

Another Three Musketeers moment.  You know, Dumas.

• Haha 1

Now they’re done.  The screw eyes are bolted in place with fender washers and split washers.  The safety cables will be as short as possible to minimize the shock load in the unlikely event they’re pressed into service.  Of course, the screw eyes will be near the tops when gravity is holding the female parts of the speaker on the male posts on the brackets.  Excuse me,  I need a cold shower.

Cat Stevens’ Tea For The Tillerman sounds very good out on my deck.  Don’t be alarmed @CECAA850.  The speakers are upside down now so that they’re right side up during testing, but in situ at the school, upside down will be right side up with the exception of the terminal cup which will be upside down when the upside down speakers are installed in the band room.  There will be a quiz later.

3825D2D7-F50E-48B9-9417-CC9C919F8255.jpeg