Klipschorns

saintsfan2007

19 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Ok guys. I am really sitting on go with these. I know  hardly anything about Khorns. Somebody jump in here and stop me, or send me on my way to Asheville.

Shakey

I think first you need to be in touch with the seller and find out whether they have been reveneered, or?  The finish is obviously not birch raw, but it is very nice.  Do you have the room for them, and a good placement?  Crossovers will need to be updated with new caps.  Try to find out about functionality, whether all drivers (especially tweeters) are working, etc.  

The price is decent, but I would offer $1900 cash and go from there, see what happens.  And, how far away are they?

Also, looking at the photos a bit more closely....in the pic with the crossover, the piece of wood running left to right at the top....look like oak?

On the front edge of the tophat of one of them, is there rubbing/damage to that edge, or just the lighting?

27 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I think first you need to be in touch with the seller and find out whether they have been reveneered, or?  The finish is obviously not birch raw, but it is very nice.  Do you have the room for them, and a good placement?  Crossovers will need to be updated with new caps.  Try to find out about functionality, whether all drivers (especially tweeters) are working, etc.  

The price is decent, but I would offer $1900 cash and go from there, see what happens.  And, how far away are they?

Also, looking at the photos a bit more closely....in the pic with the crossover, the piece of wood running left to right at the top....look like oak?

On the front edge of the tophat of one of them, is there rubbing/damage to that edge, or just the lighting?

Agree with most of that. I'd say $2K or less get them and don't look back. XOs will need attention sooner than later but not as if unlistenable in the short term. If all drivers are working and they look half way decent you *NEED* them. Asking us to talk you off the ledge is simply not going to happen with this group of enablers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I have spoken to the guy on the phone, seems genuine. The previous owner had new veneer installed. He said all drivers work and sounds great.

I agree with @jimjimbo assessment, directly upstream.  ^^^

The asking price is fair market value but considering they have had at least two owners, been veneered and will need caps updated for at least $100 as a buyer I would like to get them closer to $2k.  The plus side is the veneer job looks professionally done looks good IMO.

You will need a friend to help move those and a large vehicle for transport.  I had a covered Uhaul 4x8 I rented for $16 and transported my Khorns upright.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I agree with @jimjimbo assessment, directly upstream.  ^^^

The asking price is fair market value but considering they have had at least two owners, been veneered and will need caps updated for at least $100 as a buyer I would like to get them closer to $2k.  The plus side is the veneer job looks professionally done looks good IMO.

You will need a friend to help move those and a large vehicle for transport.  I had a covered Uhaul 4x8 I rented for $16 and transported my Khorns upright.

Good luck!

Will a minivan do it? I am going to have to rent whatever I use, so now's the time for input.

As an aside ... Someone has done more than just adding a veneer. These are KCBR cabinets. The C style did not have the "collar" between the the top section and bass bin. Some one has added that to make it similar to a B style cabinet (although the B style also had a piece of trim as a toe kick). Nothing wrong in doing those mods, since it does pretty them up a bit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Will a minivan do it? I am going to have to rent whatever I use, so now's the time for input.

I think a mini van will work, taking out all the back seats.  The top hats will unscrew from the bass bin with a small cresent wrench and mine had four wing-nuts.  It took five minutes to take them apart for ease of transport and lifting.  The Khorns weigh 175 pounds each.

There is a thread somewhere on transporting Khorns, I'll try to find it.

• Like 1

Regarding: moving these. 

Bring along a crescent wrench and screw drivers. The cabinets are about 175 lbs each. Before anything, remove the fabric-covered wings (could be a nut or wing nut). Do not put any serious weight or pressure on the wings since they can break (you will not have been the first). Take a picture of the wiring from the network to the bass bin and remove as few wires as possible. Remove the top section.

Now you are good to go. Yes, blankets and cardboard are your friend.

Good luck,

-Tom

EDIT: Hey, someone beat me to it ....

• Like 2