New Klipschorn owner

14 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Or just pipe insulation. Already split.

I like your idea better.

The ones I linked to were about $6 each.  The pipe insulation I found on Lowes.com was less than $2 each.

• Like 1

Another question, probably one of many.

Is there a particular kind of music that the Khorn does better? Or rather, are there some genres that it does not do as well as  some other Heritage speakers? I listen to a wide variety of music and most everything sounds good on the Fortes and my old Cornwalls. Just curious if some stuff will be compromised from any aspect?

Shakey

1 minute ago, rplace said:

As far as sounding bad goes, in my experience, I really find it's dependent on the recording. That said female vocals always tend to sound like butter on the Khorns everything else being equal.

Although it's not first on my list of priorities, I do like a good soundstage with decent imaging. I have concerns that klipschorns will do this as well as conventional speakers, but those concerns may be unfounded.

Shakey

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

Is there a particular kind of music that the Khorn does better? Or rather, are there some genres that it does not do as well as  some other Heritage speakers? I listen to a wide variety of music and most everything sounds good on the Fortes and my old Cornwalls. Just curious if some stuff will be compromised from any aspect?

Shakey

Well recorded live music shines on Khorns.  Get a copy of Tower of Power's 40th Anniversary concert, and prepare to be blown away.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

Although it's not first on my list of priorities, I do like a good soundstage with decent imaging. I have concerns that klipschorns will do this as well as conventional speakers, but those concerns may be unfounded.

Shakey

In about the last 9 months I've rolled 4 different preamps with 2 different sets of amps, 2 different phono stages, 2 arms and 2 cartridges through my system. Note, I did not try ever single combination, for example one arm and one cartridge did not see ever preamp. From what I can tell in descending order of importance to soundstage this is what has mattered most. The two constants were the khorns and the table.

• Phono stage 
  • Preamp
  • Amp
  • Cartridge (Not much if any difference) The cartridges were very similar Zu Denon 103 and Zu Denon 103R
  • Arm (no difference or not enough for my ears to hear) Arms similar Rega 300 and Origin Live Silver MK II

3 minutes ago, rplace said:

In about the last 9 months I've rolled 4 different preamps with 2 different sets of amps, 2 different phono stages, 2 arms and 2 cartridges through my system. Note, I did not try ever single combination, for example one arm and one cartridge did not see ever preamp. From what I can tell in descending order of importance to soundstage this is what has mattered most. The two constants were the khorns and the table.

• Phono stage 
  • Preamp
  • Amp
  • Cartridge (Not much if any difference)
  • Arm (no difference or not enough for my ears to hear)

Thanks. I guess what I'm asking is if the Klipschorns have image definition like conventional speakers.

In my experience they image really well. Since they are basically locked in place at the corners you can't play around with toe in/out (enclosed backs excluded). So your sweet spot becomes more or less fixed. I'm like you with not a wide wall at 16'. There is tons of info if you search a bit on perfect khorn dimensions or where to sit given a specific distance apart. Easiest thing to do is put them snug in the corners and take a small chair and play around with seating distance. To start sit very close and be looking down the throat of both mid horns and they are basically like giant headphones. Move back a bit and find what works for you. Search a recent Jubilee thread in for sale section and I believe it was DaveA that gave me some interesting info on placement/reflections/timing etc.

I think the room is the biggest factor. I have a music room that was purpose built for HT. It it heavily treated and on the "Dead" side of the spectrum. I have a friend with a khorn set up that has wide placement (20+ some feet) but shallow and very "alive" with wood floors and reflective walls. Both of our setups have VRDs for amps and Basis tables (different models). The same LPs sound totally different. His is brighter, more detailed, initially much more impressive. Perhaps over time a bit more fatiguing. Mine is warmer, inviting, comfortable but some how missing "something" compared to his. If I never heard his I'd think I was done with my musical search. He might have a $15K table set up while mine is probably more like $2,500. I still bet the biggest difference is the room.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Shakey

Depends on the quality of the recording.  There are a LOT of bad recordings out there.  Once I heard things on Klipschorns, my eyes were opened about GOOD vs. BAD recordings; you can hear everything.  It is amazing to me how the bass is rolled off of many recordings out there.  It is just missing.  Others on this forum have commented on that very issue.

When I was younger (with bad audio equipment), I just turned everything up.  Then I found the "loudness" control and did that.  Thankfully I didn't destroy my hearing.

Now, I run my system completely flat.  In fact, I don't even have any tone controls or EQ or anything like that.  The result is I hear things as they were recorded.  When you get good speakers and couple them with a good signal chain, you will not go back.  

Good recordings in all genres exist.  You just have to find them.  As I said before, Klipschorns reveal EVERYTHING.  You might get spoiled.

I drove to Detroit to get my Khorns. Well worth the trip.  To me the thing I noticed most is that they are like microscopes.  Bad recordings are bad times one hundred.  My friends really like to listen to the remastered version of The Wall through my system.  I listen to every kind of music and if it's a quality recording it will sound great.  Enjoy your new Horns. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...