Anyone have a 6L6 calibration tube?

jimjimbo

Anyone have a 6L6 calibration tube that you are no longer using, want to sell or lend?  I have several tube testers (other than my calibrated TV-7) that I'd like to run one of these calibration tubes on, just to see the results.  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no such thing as a "Calibration" Tube.  Tubes wear and vary between manufacturers and and even across dates of manufacture.

What would be the point of "calibrating" to a certain tube?  You simply need to adjust bias to the actual tube(s) you put in it.

Don't buy the snake oil!

However, you CAN think about "Matched" tubes. But ONLY if your amp requires it.  Single Ended amps don't usually need it except Cathod Biased amps that Bias off a single resistor - but if you own one, you probably should modify it to use 1 resistor per channel (2x the value of the original shared one).  Many times Push Pull amps need matched tubes as they may again share a single bias adjust for the pair.  Some of the better Push Pull amps have bias adjustments for each of a tube pair.

This thread isn't about Matched tubes, so I won't go into more detail.  Ask someone who understands design to help you if you want to understand if you need matched tubes  (I do, which is why I am telling you NOT to waste $$ on "calibration" tubes!)

5 hours ago, bigbargain said:

What would be the point of "calibrating" to a certain tube?  You simply need to adjust bias to the actual tube(s) you put in it.

He is wanting to check the Calibration of his Tube Testers.

The Calibration Reference 6L6 he is looking for should have a reference reading verified to an accurate standard that then can allow this tube to serve as a reference standard to be used to verify the accuracy of his tube testers.

He is wanting to check the Calibration of his Tube Testers.

The Calibration Reference 6L6 he is looking for should have a reference reading verified to an accurate standard that then can allow this tube to serve as a reference standard to be used to verify the accuracy of his tube testers.

Thank you Mike