Klipsch CORNWALL III Value/discussion

I will search later, but working now.  Don't bash me if it's already been discussed, but I just picked up a pair of Cornwall III speakers in walnut.  True 7/10 condition, consecutive serials.  Speakwrs themselves are 8/10.  Risers in the back have a couple good chips.  Other than than they are in excellent shape.  Estimate on value? Also, anyone else have them and love them/hate them?  They sound VERY different from anything else I have yet had, however so far I am liking them.  

The *first* thing you should do is toe them in (rotate them so they aim at the listening position). Considering how close together they are I would say around 25-30 degrees each, depending on how far away the listening position is (the closer you sit, the more toe-in you need). The soundstage will gel much more than with them firing straight ahead as shown in your photo. Then sit back and enjoy them. After a while you can start tweaking your setup to get the most out of them, but some toe-in should be #1 on your list (and it's free!). They look really nice, congratulations!

I've owned Cornwalls since 1980 and have listened to thousands of recordings on mine. I now use them as monitors in my recording studio. I know them so well and trust them so much, they instantly tell me what I'm putting onto my recordings, and they're so accurate they allow me to create recordings that sound good when played on just about any other type of system or speaker. That's about the highest recommendation I can give to a speaker.

• Like 4

There is some useful insight. Thanks.  I am just over 13 feet away and the speakers are just over 7 feet apart.  I will give that a go.  Thanks.   Do you find that they need to be on the wall or in a corner, or do you bring them out a bit?  I haven't had much time to give them more than an initial listen as of yet.  

Beat you to it. It's listed for sale already.   That was leftover from my legacies.  I will give that a try as well.  So you recommend firing them straight at the listener?  I would think that may be quite  bright that close together at a 45 degree angle? 

Horn loaded mid range speakers should fire BEHIND the listener... imho.

the on axis distance that you focus the speaker at behind you is a personal choice. I aim my LS about 2-3' behind me.

This can't be expressed in terms of exact degree because every listening space s different.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 4:50 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

I just picked up a pair of Cornwall III speakers in walnut.  True 7/10 condition, consecutive serials.  .  Estimate on value? 

I only have one sample of a Cornwall III from Oct. 2016 in excellent condition offered for sale on the Klipsch Garage Sale.  They were from Palm Harbor, FL and I don't have any confirmation if they actually sold or at what price point.

That's fair.  I will try that.  I have my eye on the parasound halo integrated.  Price, solid DAC, headroom, sound and tone controls are what has my attention.  I owned the unit in the past and loved it.  I have used PrimaLuna tube gear in the past and liked it as well.  Have never taken the plunge into tubes otherwise.  Any input on the train of thought here? 

Westcoastdrums, once you have positioned the CWs correctly they will blow you away, I work in AV retail and have listened to many many many speakers and the CWs are breathtaking....

And most people will say only tubes work thats not true I have a 350w SS class A power amp and there is absolutely zero brightness,

Please note the CWs need precise postioning from back/side walls and toe in it may take time

Start by toeing in the tweeter to direct ear alignment

Then

Move the speaker from the back wall and once the bass sounds snappy then move from the side wall until the mids are clear making sure the tweeter is always directed to your ear position in the sweet spot

A laser pointer or a piece of string helps with this

After all this if the speaker sounds a little harsh on the high end treble then move the toeing out but slight increments of cm's or even mm's

Please be patient as the guys on this forum will tell you, i asked for advice and nearly gave up thinking the brightness was a speaker problem its not its a positioning issue

Good luck

Deano

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Thorough thanks.  When I have time I'll begin the process.  I am used to toying with positioning.  I just wasn't sure about the klipsch heritage stuff.  It seems many of the models become anemic in the bass exponentially as they leave the rear wall. 

Thorough thanks.  When I have time I'll begin the process.  I am used to toying with positioning.  I just wasn't sure about the klipsch heritage stuff.  It seems many of the models become anemic in the bass exponentially as they leave the rear wall. 
Sounds like a plan, I have mine quite far out from the rear wall and the bass is still phenomenal,

Bass response depends on the room also, but you will find the proper position just takes a little playing with

Good luck and enjoy

Deano

You welcome!

My listening position is against the back wall and cannot be moved.  As such, the bass response will be amplified dramatically either way.  I'll experiment here shortly.  Thanks all for the pointers. 

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

Start by toeing in the tweeter to direct ear alignment

Aim them to cross a little in front of you, and aiming them like this will reduce the reflections off the wall and the cabinets, which can be terrible on sound with everything bouncing off the side hard surfaces.

If they were mine I would leave them wide and toe them in and hope that helps. I am surprised they don't sound terrible like that, so close to the sidewalls and straight on.

For the other question, I have no idea how much they are worth and yes I do like how they sound

• Like 1