Klipsch CORNWALL III Value/discussion

I only listened to them for about 15 minutes thus far.  I know that wasn't the right positioning.  I just threw them in the corner.  I had another pair of speakers I sold right before that.   I will have the time to experiment this coming week sometime 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 5:30 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

There is some useful insight. Thanks.  I am just over 13 feet away and the speakers are just over 7 feet apart.  I will give that a go.  Thanks.   Do you find that they need to be on the wall or in a corner, or do you bring them out a bit?  I haven't had much time to give them more than an initial listen as of yet.  

When I was using my Cornwalls as 2-channel stereo speakers I had them about 2 ft in front of the front wall with their outside ends around 2 – 3 feet from the side walls. (Corner placement was prevented by architectural elements.) The listening position was against the rear wall about 13 feet from the fronts of the speakers. I experimented with toe-in until I achieved a seamless soundstage that extended behind the speakers and beyond their outside edges. As I recall it only took around 10 – 15 degrees of toe-in for each speaker. (This was from 1985 into 1996, so my memory of the details isn't as crisp as it once was.) In spite of their being well away from walls and corners they produced room-shaking bass while powered by an Electron Kinetics Eagle 2a amp (around 120 W per channel).

On 6/1/2018 at 4:07 PM, dtel said:

Aim them to cross a little in front of you, and aiming them like this will reduce the reflections off the wall and the cabinets, which can be terrible on sound with everything bouncing off the side hard surfaces.

If they were mine I would leave them wide and toe them in and hope that helps. I am surprised they don't sound terrible like that, so close to the sidewalls and straight on.

For the other question, I have no idea how much they are worth and yes I do like how they sound

I think with many speakers that improves the sound stage. My Ohms use that strategy. Aside from the semi omni over all sound, the super tweeters are aligned at 45degrees so they always merge just in front of you. It works to create a very wide sweet spot. 

OK; "dumb" question ... have my Cornwall's (series I) FLAT against my rear wall (using them as "rears," but hooked up as 2nd channel speakers with phase inversed). Fronts are KPT-904's. Really cannot "toe them in" because of position.  How "bad" is my set-up? :D 

Cheers, Emile

On 5/31/2018 at 6:13 PM, SiliconTi said:

Try them in the corner at 45 degrees, like a Khorn. They really shine setup like that.

Yes, but sit where you can look down the throats of the tweeters and see the complete bug screen (use a flashlight from your chair or couch). 

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:50 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

I will search later, but working now.  Don't bash me if it's already been discussed, but I just picked up a pair of Cornwall III speakers in walnut.  True 7/10 condition, consecutive serials.  Speakwrs themselves are 8/10.  Risers in the back have a couple good chips.  Other than than they are in excellent shape.  Estimate on value? Also, anyone else have them and love them/hate them?  They sound VERY different from anything else I have yet had, however so far I am liking them.  

I think a reasonable value would be $1,600~1800. I've owned all 3 Cornwall models and I do not think the 3's are worth anymore for sonic value. Because these speakers are so large I do think that their condition is worth investing in. Clean cabinets and clean grills are important to me and could push me into clean CW 3's over cheaper 1's or 2's. I enjoy showing off my stereo and condition matters to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided to give the Cornwall III a fair shot in my room.  I hadn't spent the proper amount of time with positioning them and was using mediocre gear at the time with them.  WOW, they have come alive.  They don't quite have the perfect balance of the heresys to my ears in my room as I am quite limited on their placement.   But they Def sound as big as they physically are and have killer bass when pulled away from the wall a foot for me.  My question is, comparing Forte iii to Cornwall III in the same room with the same gear, can someone give me your input of the differences to your ears, pro and cons?  The Forte III would Def fit in here better and more than likely give me the bass response I am looking for.  Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

So I decided to give the Cornwall III a fair shot in my room.  I hadn't spent the proper amount of time with positioning them and was using mediocre gear at the time with them.  WOW, they have come alive.  They don't quite have the perfect balance of the heresys to my ears in my room as I am quite limited on their placement.   But they Def sound as big as they physically are and have killer bass when pulled away from the wall a foot for me.  My question is, comparing Forte iii to Cornwall III in the same room with the same gear, can someone give me your input of the differences to your ears, pro and cons?  The Forte III would Def fit in here better and more than likely give me the bass response I am looking for.  Thanks. 

Hey brother how big is the room and can you take a pic of it

11' wide, 15' deep, 8 foot ceilings, however, room is open concept with dining room and kitchen so those figures more than double.  Speakers are just over 5 feet apart (maximum possible without blocking cabinets) and listening distance is roughly 11' away (also fixed). 

20180708_195911.jpg

I would definitely try having the tweeter cross axis firing about a foot in front of you,  or have you tried that already, I found these buggers to be so so anal about the slightest movement in every direction