Tube impact on pre vs amp

rplace

I know the answer is going to be try it and decide for yourself, but I'm curious as to the "why" or the theory behind what should sound the best. I have a preamp that uses 2 6SN7 tubes and amps that uses 1 6SN7 each for a total of 4 X 6SN7s. Everything else being equal in the system if you had 2 really nice vintage 6SN7 tubes would you put them in the preamp or the two monoblocks?

56 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Pre amp for sure.  Much more impact than the amp.

If you need some really nice 6SN7s, I have a bunch....

Even though I'm currently in the class D camp, I have had all kinds of tubes in my far away past. Since the 2nd order harmonic character of tubes can be had in the pre-amp sections or other "front end" devices, that can easily be passed on to solid state amplification and it's "clinical neutralities." SS gets you much better control of speaker voice coils without all the fuss of output transformers...............IMHO. When I met Saul Marantz (he was then president of Dalquist) in 1976,  he told me to always use tubes on the mids and highs and Solid State on the woofer sections for better voice coil control and less sensitivity to impedance variations. His advice has withstood the test of time and further technological advances. YMMV.

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Even though I'm currently in the class D camp, I have had all kinds of tubes in my far away past. Since the 2nd order harmonic character of tubes can be had in the pre-amp sections or other "front end" devices, that can easily be passed on to solid state amplification and it's "clinical neutralities." SS gets you much better control of speaker voice coils without all the fuss of output transformers...............IMHO. When I met Saul Marantz (he was then president of Dalquist) in 1976,  he told me to always use tubes on the mids and highs and Solid State on the woofer sections for better voice coil control and less sensitivity to impedance variations. His advice has withstood the test of time and further technological advances. YMMV.

How about a Tube buffered Hypex class D...

34050214_1301752289956116_88974690379660

My gut was saying pre, not amp but really could not convince myself why. @jimjimbo I'll PM you about what you got. I've got several GE GTBs but only 2 Tung-Sol mouse ears. I'd like to have 4. So far they sound the best. Sylvanias pretty darn good too.