Listened to Forte III's. Wow but got me thinking.

I've had the Forte IIIs since almost right after they came out. They are great with their mid and upper resolution, if you can call it that.

Next to my Heresy IIs that are gone now there is no concussive bass hitting you, but bass is much lower than the H2s could do. Vocals, horns, saxophones and percussion are even more realistic with the Forte III no doubt.

Hearing a pair of low mileage La Scalas recently was an equally impressive revelation in the improvement in the midrange especially, and the highs. Flawless. And these were still totally stock. Yea the bass had what I miss about the Heresy IIs plus it sounded even more tight. After thirty years with the H2s the low frequency response was better on the LS... and that makes sense given the Heritage hierarchy. The imaging of the Forte IIIs mimics what those LS did just to a lesser degree. Bass isn't as punctual but it is way lower.

Roy D. did something special with these speakers.

Forte IIIs give you a dam* good bang for your buck!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dbomberger said:

Thanks!  I have a special place in my heart for Chorus II's also. So until they make Chorus III's (and I'm not holding my breath)...

+ 1 to that....I have about $ 1800.00 in the 2 pair of Chorus II's I have...To get into a pair of Forte III's would cost close to double that...I was already to pull the trigger...

Just couldn't say good bye to the Chorus II's

George

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dbomberger said:

Already have Cornwall's from '77-wife thinks we are space constrained and budget constrained-but the good news is that I don't.

I am trying to convince my wife the LaScalas I bought are a pair of heavy as tables, that make sound ... I don't think she is buying it

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I finally had the opportunity to audition a pair of forte III.  Superior to Cornwall III INMHO.  However I modified my Forte II with K53 TI drivers along with the usual Bob Crites titanium tweeter upgrade many moons ago.  Also added Bob's Band Pass roll off to tame the Ti Squawkers.  INMHO 98%+ sound of the new forte III for about $2,800 less including upgrades.

Just food for thought, if not happy you could always sell and get your money back.

Regards,

John

• Like 1

I finally had the opportunity to audition a pair of forte III.  Superior to Cornwall III INMHO.  However I modified my Forte II with K53 TI drivers along with the usual Bob Crites titanium tweeter upgrade many moons ago.  Also added Bob's Band Pass roll off to tame the Ti Squawkers.  INMHO 98%+ sound of the new forte III for about $2,800 less including upgrades.

Just food for thought, if not happy you could always sell and get your money back.

Regards,
John

Really curious how that Ti mid would work out for me and my Chorus II. I’m not an ear bleeding volume type of guy. Lower to upper mid volume is most of my listening and I’m thinking that titanium would really shine at those volumes. I mean even my la Scalas made my ears hurt and ran me out of the room when the volume was blasting and the k400 was stabbing my ear drums. So deafening loud volumes just aren’t my thing with any speaker. I’d expect tons of detail and clarity with the Ti mids at mid volume. Was the Crites high band pass absolutely necessary and critical to make it sound right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, Deang said:

Dude, I’m broke - but I have a really nice pair of heavily modified LaScalas that can totally light up a room in the smoothest kind of way. 

Why is that Dean?  Do you use someone else's crossovers?.....hehe

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2018 at 12:09 PM, dbomberger said:

Thanks!  I have a special place in my heart for Chorus II's also. So until they make Chorus III's (and I'm not holding my breath)...

I really appreciate the Chorus II. I will never part with them. After Dean replaced the network components they were so good I was disappointed in the stock design. The grill was better build quality than the networks.

If I could find both k Horns and LS II close to home I would probably sell off the Belle's and go with LS II just for simplicity of room placement.

6 hours ago, dbomberger said:

Gonna have to show my ignorance here, what exactly is "Bob's Band Pass roll off"?

Please see attached statement and graph from Bob.

A bandpass limits the out put of the squawker driver. Please see detailed description from Bob Crites below:

I can provide a little technical information of using the Klipsch titanium midrange to replace the orignal phenolics. On the trace below, the red is an original K-53 phenolic diaphrgm and the green is the K-53TI titanium midrange diaphragm on the same 700 hz horn. We see slightly higher average output for the titanium than the phenolic. The phenolic output drops like a stone at 6khz where the tweeter takes over. That allows the crossover to be pretty simple since there is no reason to roll off the midrange. But, the titanium diaphragm keeps on going, in fact heading for a peak at around 7.3khz before it drops off. So, if the titanium diaphragm is used in place of the phenolic without a crossover mod, you would have the midrange and tweeter both at full output at the same time around 7khz.

Bob Crites

Attached Thumbnails
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 3:55 PM, Maximus89 said:

Really curious how that Ti mid would work out for me and my Chorus II. I’m not an ear bleeding volume type of guy. Lower to upper mid volume is most of my listening and I’m thinking that titanium would really shine at those volumes. I mean even my la Scalas made my ears hurt and ran me out of the room when the volume was blasting and the k400 was stabbing my ear drums. So deafening loud volumes just aren’t my thing with any speaker. I’d expect tons of detail and clarity with the Ti mids at mid volume. Was the Crites high band pass absolutely necessary and critical to make it sound right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although the Chorus II has different crossover points, the concept remains the same.  INMHO I think you would enjoy the results.

A bandpass limits the out put of the squawker driver. Please see detailed description from Bob Crites below:

I can provide a little technical information of using the Klipsch titanium midrange to replace the orignal phenolics. On the trace below, the red is an original K-53 phenolic diaphrgm and the green is the K-53TI titanium midrange diaphragm on the same 700 hz horn. We see slightly higher average output for the titanium than the phenolic. The phenolic output drops like a stone at 6khz where the tweeter takes over. That allows the crossover to be pretty simple since there is no reason to roll off the midrange. But, the titanium diaphragm keeps on going, in fact heading for a peak at around 7.3khz before it drops off. So, if the titanium diaphragm is used in place of the phenolic without a crossover mod, you would have the midrange and tweeter both at full output at the same time around 7khz.

Bob Crites

Attached Thumbnails

9 hours ago, John Chi-town said:

Thanks so much. This really  helps.

Please see attached statement and graph from Bob.

Bob Crites

Attached Thumbnails

• Like 1