Marantz AV8802A vs Anthem AVM60 vs Emotiva XMC-1

SemperFiAg08

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, SemperFiAg08 said:

I've seen this response many times on this forum and other places and many who would put the Emotiva right up there with them.

Is there any reason why you put those two ahead of the Emotiva and why you wouldn't consider it?

I'd like to chime in here.

I jumped onto the Emotiva bandwagon in 2014.  That included purchasing a pair of Fusion 8100's, ERC-1's, and other items.  Both Fusions broke down.  Both ERC's broke down.  The Fusions had terrible handshaking issues with HDMI which Emotiva said they fixed, but they apparently didn't.  When the last Fusion died, I figured I'd give Emotiva the benefit of the doubt and purchased an MC-700.  I regret that decision daily.  It locks up, the setup is not even sort of intuitive, configuring anything on it is a chore, and some basic features are left out on it.  I've heard similar processor hangup on every single Emotiva processor - I don't hear that kind of thing for other more well known brands.  I may stick with Emotiva amps on the used market, but I'll never shop Emotiva direct for anything.  As soon as I have the money and find something with 4K on clearance, this MC-700 is gone.

Go with the Anthem.

• Like 2

Basically my thoughts^^. They just couldn’t keep up with the technology (constantly improving) which caused many issues. The firmware updates were also promised but the delays were massive.

I still wouldn’t hesitate on buying an amplifier from them, as they have always performed perfectly for me. 

• Like 1

I have been on this edge for well over a year now.    Its hard to say one direction is best between the two.  I have even considered the 7703 and 7704 instead of the 8802A as good as it is, the 8802A is becoming a dated model.  The 60 appears to be all that if you take stock in the hubbub right ups. One tester even went as far to say it sounded better than his D2. And not to downplay the 60, as its bench numbers are at the very, very top.   Even then then, the 60 costing around $3K is putting you in the (slightly used) Mcintosh MX121 territory, which is obviously a different animal with less tech, but possibly two channel sound that very well may rival all these units or at least make your brain think it does from the legendary badge.   But on a realistic note, I am more interested in the DAC upgrades in the 7703 and 7704 for musical purposes compared to the 8802A.  The Anthem is very impressive on paper, sound (from what I have read) and tech, but its hard not to go with good ole Marantz.

On 6/6/2018 at 3:05 PM, Max2 said:

I have been on this edge for well over a year now.    Its hard to say one direction is best between the two.  I have even considered the 7703 and 7704 instead of the 8802A as good as it is, the 8802A is becoming a dated model.  The 60 appears to be all that if you take stock in the hubbub right ups. One tester even went as far to say it sounded better than his D2. And not to downplay the 60, as its bench numbers are at the very, very top.   Even then then, the 60 costing around $3K is putting you in the (slightly used) Mcintosh MX121 territory, which is obviously a different animal with less tech, but possibly two channel sound that very well may rival all these units or at least make your brain think it does from the legendary badge.   But on a realistic note, I am more interested in the DAC upgrades in the 7703 and 7704 for musical purposes compared to the 8802A.  The Anthem is very impressive on paper, sound (from what I have read) and tech, but its hard not to go with good ole Marantz.

I guess I should have pointed out that the main reason I'm considering these is because they're all 4K/HDR and Atmos ready. I don't have the TV for it right now, but I know that will eventually happen and I'd like to keep the pre-pro for 10+ years. I'm definitely looking on the used market, and I've got a ton of time to wait for the right one. Right now, I could pick up an XMC-1 for $900 locally (probably less), the 8802a goes for around $1600 regularly on eBay, and the Anthem has gone for around $2000.

I really do appreciate all of the feedback. Everyone has pretty much talked me off of the Emotiva bandwagon and it's going to be a tough decision between the other two, but I'm leaning toward the Anthem, based on all it's features (and ease of use).

2 minutes ago, SemperFiAg08 said:

I guess I should have pointed out that the main reason I'm considering these is because they're all 4K/HDR and Atmos ready. I don't have the TV for it right now, but I know that will eventually happen and I'd like to keep the pre-pro for 10+ years. I'm definitely looking on the used market, and I've got a ton of time to wait for the right one. Right now, I could pick up an XMC-1 for $900 locally (probably less), the 8802a goes for around $1600 regularly on eBay, and the Anthem has gone for around $2000.

I really do appreciate all of the feedback. Everyone has pretty much talked me off of the Emotiva bandwagon and it's going to be a tough decision between the other two, but I'm leaning toward the Anthem, based on all it's features (and ease of use).

You may have seen these tests, if not, they're worth the read just for color on the models. 

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/anthem-avm-60-av-processor-review

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av8802-surround-processor-review

6 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

I'll literally keep my Oink-yo PR-SC5509 until it melts down. It did have the HDMI board replaced about 3 years ago but that has been the only issue with it ever. No need for Atmos, 4k or blablabla. It is a fantastic sounding unit. Video processing is pretty tight as well.

Same sentiments about my 5508 Other than the HDMI board replacement also, has never disappointed

I have used Audyssey, YPAO, and Dirac, and IMO Dirac is the best by a mile. I am planning on buying Dirac processors for my new setup this fall. Emotiva is the only one with Dirac listed, and for me that makes it #1 feature wise. If you decide to get one of the others... I highly suggest you get a Dirac processor as it leave the others in the dust.

6 minutes ago, ellisr63 said:

I have used Audyssey, YPAO, and Dirac, and IMO Dirac is the best by a mile. I am planning on buying Dirac processors for my new setup this fall. Emotiva is the only one with Dirac listed, and for me that makes it #1 feature wise.

ARC is impressive also.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

ARC is impressive also.

Yeah, but Dirac is currently the best on the market.. look at the Trinnov. I think it is over $20k, but everything I have read is there is no better processor made. I used the MiniDSP ddr88, and the Audyssey, and YPAO were not even in the same league.

I have had a AVM 60 for quite a while......Love it.....Came from a Integra 80.3...The Anthem is probably one of my best purchases ever.

Don't get me wrong if you want a bunch a different sound formats ....like concert hall and all that....which my 80.3 had (never used it).....If you want to calibrate multiple subs separate.......look else where..... I like having 4 different profiles....that I can switch from one to another.  If you plan on using it for both movies and 2 channel....it the one to have

The Anthem also DOES NOT do any video processing.....It's all about the sound...In that system ...I run Chorus II's fronts... Academy center... Quartets sides... and Forte II's for my rears ....my sub is a PSA  V1800.

My second choice would be the Emotive.....I did hear the Emotive at Axpona this year....I was impressed

George

4 hours ago, ellisr63 said:

I have used Audyssey, YPAO, and Dirac, and IMO Dirac is the best by a mile. I am planning on buying Dirac processors for my new setup this fall. Emotiva is the only one with Dirac listed, and for me that makes it #1 feature wise. If you decide to get one of the others... I highly suggest you get a Dirac processor as it leave the others in the dust.

I've read that about the Dirac,  but I can't get past the reviews I've read about the Emotiva Pre-Pro user interfaces. I just keep reading they're not very refined, and if I'm going to drop a bunch of money in one, I'd want it to work effortlessly. I've heard their equipment is well-built, but several posts in my searches have given me a little doubt. 

3 hours ago, oldred said:

I have had a AVM 60 for quite a while......Love it.....Came from a Integra 80.3...The Anthem is probably one of my best purchases ever.

Don't get me wrong if you want a bunch a different sound formats ....like concert hall and all that....which my 80.3 had (never used it).....If you want to calibrate multiple subs separate.......look else where..... I like having 4 different profiles....that I can switch from one to another.  If you plan on using it for both movies and 2 channel....it the one to have

The Anthem also DOES NOT do any video processing.....It's all about the sound...In that system ...I run Chorus II's fronts... Academy center... Quartets sides... and Forte II's for my rears ....my sub is a PSA  V1800.

My second choice would be the Emotive.....I did hear the Emotive at Axpona this year....I was impressed

George

How would you compare it to an Integra since you have experience with both? I've had a recommendation to look at the DRC-R1, and I haven't see any bad comments about their equipment. The system is mostly for movies, but even for music, I like to have all channels firing if possible. From what I read on the Marantz, it allows separate calibration for subs and separate video settings per source rather than a global setting.

I love the system you've got...I've got a similar one (all heritage).

• Like 2

Dirac is great, when its on a system that works and for someone who actually uses auto-calibration.  I personally dislike auto-cal, because the mic never hears what I hear, and thus it's a moot point.  Most of the time I prefer to run the system flat even.

As for the Integra comment - that's what I traded my Emotiva combo in for.  I moved from an MC-700 and a UPA-500 to a DRX-3.1.  This marks the third Intgra unit that I've purchased, and it's the second Emotiva setup that Integra has usurped.  It is a fantastic piece of equipment and handles EQ much better than the Emotiva does.  It sounds much more laid back too, with hardly any of the HDMI hiccups that the Emotiva had.  There's no lag, there's no delay, no hangups, it just works out of the box.  I had considered the DHC-80.3, but opted for the AVR, since I needed the 4K feature for my computer, and my budget was not enough to afford the DRC-R1.

I have only good things to say about the company, and in the instance that I needed to make a value purchase, would choose them every time over Emotiva going forward.  Again, I believe Emotiva is hard to beat for its price for power amplifiers, but Pre amps...I feel at that price point the XMC-1 is easily beaten by other offerings on the table.  You can purchase Dirac separately anyway and run it off of a PC, gathering the variables and inputting them accordingly into any piece of equipment.  It's hardly limited to the XMC-1 alone.

I know that in my setup, and a friend's Audyssey, and YPAO are not even close to Dirac. I used the MiniDSP Dirac in my last system, and it made a big difference, you could adjust the tune how you wanted, and most importantly to me the tune was repeatable. In addition with the MiniDSP you could save up to 4 tunes, and pick between them. I will never consider a system properly setup without it being electronically tuned, and tuned with absorption or diffusion. Hopefully Onkyo will be better now that they are owned by Pioneer. I really liked their equipment in the 70s and hope that tbey will return to the quality,and performance they had before their HDMI board failures. They took care of their customers above and beyond warranty, and I have to give that to themas outstanding customer service. 

1 hour ago, SemperFiAg08 said:

I've read that about the Dirac,  but I can't get past the reviews I've read about the Emotiva Pre-Pro user interfaces. I just keep reading they're not very refined, and if I'm going to drop a bunch of money in one, I'd want it to work effortlessly. I've heard their equipment is well-built, but several posts in my searches have given me a little doubt. 

How would you compare it to an Integra since you have experience with both? I've had a recommendation to look at the DRC-R1, and I haven't see any bad comments about their equipment. The system is mostly for movies, but even for music, I like to have all channels firing if possible. From what I read on the Marantz, it allows separate calibration for subs and separate video settings per source rather than a global setting.

I love the system you've got...I've got a similar one (all heritage).

Whatever you get, I highly recommend getting Dirac for tuning...you won't be sorry.

• 3 months later...