Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fala7er

Power Consumption R112SW

Recommended Posts

Hi, im using a UPS 850VA for my pc, monitor and a set of 5 speakers to get the benefits of stabilization and the battery in case the lights goes out and it can last for about 3 minutes with everything working no problems.

 

Now the subwoofer R112SW says on the specification 300w - 600w (dynamic), and in backplate (power cord place) "220-240v - 50/60hz, 4A" which should be 4A x 220 = 880VA.

 

I tried using the sub also in the UPS and the same day the lights went out and i was listening music, and also lasted for about 2-3 minutes the UPS powering all this system.

 

Im using the sub at 1/3 volume -forever- and regulate the signal input only to get more or less output volume. Im ok using this UPS with the sub? it seems to work fine but... the power consumption may be a lot lower than i imagine?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2018 at 2:05 PM, Fala7er said:

Hi, im using a UPS 850VA for my pc, monitor and a set of 5 speakers to get the benefits of stabilization and the battery in case the lights goes out and it can last for about 3 minutes with everything working no problems.

 

Now the subwoofer R112SW says on the specification 300w - 600w (dynamic), and in backplate (power cord place) "220-240v - 50/60hz, 4A" which should be 4A x 220 = 880VA.

 

I tried using the sub also in the UPS and the same day the lights went out and i was listening music, and also lasted for about 2-3 minutes the UPS powering all this system.

 

Im using the sub at 1/3 volume -forever- and regulate the signal input only to get more or less output volume. Im ok using this UPS with the sub? it seems to work fine but... the power consumption may be a lot lower than i imagine?.

 

 

You shouldn't be using the UPS for anything other than safely shutting down your equipment. Small units like yours aren't designed for being run down.

The numbers on the sub data plate are for the maximum designed current draw. Those numbers don't indicate idle usage(typically).

In any fashion, if your UPS is more than two or three years old, the battery has started to deteriorate and the maximum charge is not what it once was. 

Proper UPS sizing is total VA x 1.2. But again, that sizing is for shutting equipment down safely. If you want to continue to run, it should be sized several times your total components VA 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Subwoofers should be plugged directly into the wall.

Caveat: IF THEY ARE POWERED SUBWOOFERS (meaning they have their own amplifier source built-in to them)...just saying...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Caveat: IF THEY ARE POWERED SUBWOOFERS (meaning they have their own amplifier source built-in to them)...just saying...

Yea, CAUTION, coffee is hot too.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im using the stabilization input on the UPS, but still this is using a lot less than 300w from the wall, maybe someone has the real numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fala7er said:

Im using the stabilization input on the UPS, but still this is using a lot less than 300w from the wall, maybe someone has the real numbers.

 

 

We can't give you the real numbers. Those numbers depend exactly on listening volume, and the dynamics of the music you're listening to. Listening at "5" on one song from Van Halen is not the same as listening to another song from say Skrillex at the same volume. There are too many variables. You're going to have to take the measurements in your own. Split your power cord and put an amp clamp around the hot wire, while listening. That'll give you your current draw. Multiply by measured wall voltage for VA, then multiply that number x1.2 for safe shutdown. Go bigger if you're wanting to use it for an actual battery backup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

get a power meater to see your actual power consumption.

 

I run my wohole system on a UPS too, but only TV and router is on battery, the rest is connected to the surge protection outlets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better yet, tested in time with some movies at full blast and no problems. It seems 850va is enough for everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...