Heresy I Questions

I've had my '84 Heresy I's for a few weeks now and I am in love. I can definitely see what all of the fuss is about with vintage Klipsch speakers. Couple of questions: 

1. What should I be listening for to determine if I need to do anything with the crossovers? They sound fine as is, but they are all original and I know the crossovers wear out over time. 

2. What kind of spade connectors do you recommend for these screw terminals? Everything I see looks like it will be too big to fit. I had banana plugs on my old speakers so I bought these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X9FET7I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They are working fine so far, but I would prefer a more secure connection. 

Thanks. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, saintsfan2007 said:

I've had my '84 Heresy I's for a few weeks now and I am in love. I can definitely see what all of the fuss is about with vintage Klipsch speakers.

Hi, sorry but no help on your xo's or spade connectors. But just had to "chime in."

Picked up a pair of 1980 Heresy I's yesterday :D  (FYI; I have Cornwall's, Forte's and Theater Pro KPT-904's.)  Never thought the "small" Heresy's would be any "good," but since everyone raves about them I had to get a pair :)  I am absolutely AMAZED! :D The mid-range is SPECTACULAR! Have not done much side by side testing, but IMHO they are (OK; almost) as good as my Cornwall's and Forte's.  Love them ... looking for ways to improve these :) 

One more ... sorry; but they are not in the same league as Klipsch PRO speakers.

Cheers, Emile

1 hour ago, saintsfan2007 said:

I've had my '84 Heresy I's for a few weeks now and I am in love. I can definitely see what all of the fuss is about with vintage Klipsch speakers. Couple of questions: 

1. What should I be listening for to determine if I need to do anything with the crossovers? They sound fine as is, but they are all original and I know the crossovers wear out over time. 

2. What kind of spade connectors do you recommend for these screw terminals? Everything I see looks like it will be too big to fit. I had banana plugs on my old speakers so I bought these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X9FET7I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They are working fine so far, but I would prefer a more secure connection. 

Thanks. 

Congrats on your Heresy purchase.

My perspective is this.....doesn't matter what you are, or should be, listening to.  You should update the caps.  I would recommend ClarityCaps from Madisound.  They are reasonably priced, and very good quality.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/claritycap-caps/

I would also not mess around with the OEM terminals.  I would install new binding posts (at the bottom of the rear panel).  Makes life easier...

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/binding-posts/1506

Have fun and enjoy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saintsfan2007 said:

Thanks. 

Those terminals were not actually designed for spade connectors....but for bare wire connections, instead.  PWK was huge on eliminating all forms of distortion, which includes distortion caused by numerous separate connections along an electrical conduit.  So, the fewer the better.  Adding a spade connector to the bare wire, creates an extra "link" in the chain of distortion-producing connections within an electrical conduit...if for no other reason than it produces another link of electrical resistance into that electrical conduit chain.  More electrical resistance equals more distortion AND less efficiency. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Those terminals were not actually designed for spade connectors....but for bare wire connections, instead.  PWK was huge on eliminating all forms of distortion, which includes distortion caused by numerous separate connections along an electrical conduit.  So, the fewer the better.  Adding a spade connector to the bare wire, creates an extra "link" in the chain of distortion-producing connections within an electrical conduit...if for no other reason than it produces another link of electrical resistance into that electrical conduit chain.  More electrical resistance equals more distortion AND less efficiency. 

Altec Lansing used similar connectors. I don't understand why people use all these fancy doodads.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, willland said:

Feed them good food.

Got a "crappy" pair yesterday.  Couple of coats of Watco Rejuvinating Oil and Danish Oil ... they (almost) look brand new :D  OK; got some smoked salmon left ... drape it over the speakers?

3 minutes ago, willland said:

and changed out the tweeters to the CT-125's

Changed to the CT-125's in my Cornwall's ... could not hear the difference :(  Then, changed to xo's for new Crite's boards ... again ... no difference :(  Maybe my ears are getting old :(  But ... checked and can still hear up to 18KHz :D So; not convinced about changing xo's ... but maybe I'll try new caps in the Heresy I's I got yesterday :D 

Cheers, Emile

Congratulations on both of you picking up the H1’s. I myself bought a beater pair on the cheap, with a thought of performing the @ClaudeJ1 upgrades, making them into an inexpensive set of mini Cornwall’s.  If I’ve learned one thing while reading his thread, it’s to follow his recipe exactly.

The Heresies are beat up, with some delamination of the plywood, and a couple of small strips missing on the outside of one.  This has helped me to decide to turn these into Road Warriors.  Re-glue and stabilize any layers of the ply that need it, metal corners and edge trim, Duratex coating applied, no grille covers, and a heavy duty grate style dome over the woofer. My wife is a professional musician, and I have a bit of experience with road gear, so this should be a lot of fun!

The mods themselves don’t look to be that difficult to perform.  New Delta Pro 12a woofers, new caps in the new values, move some wiring around, and port the back panel. Some sound deadening, and you are off to the races.  The only thing I am “adding” to the design is a fuse holder and 1amp fast blows inline.  Just to be safe.  

• Like 2