My Sub Bit the Dust

rebuy

My Polk 505 Bash Amp died after 5 to 6 years of on again--off again service.

For the meager amount of money I paid I got pretty good service life.

So I have a 45 pound or so Cat Launching Pad in the living room.

Yes, I decided to let the cats use it since I don't want to pack it up and move it to storage.

They just use it to look out the window.

A new Bash Amp would cost as much  to replace as the new sub itself.

You can new ones for about 200 dollars, they're on close out.

But a sub is not high on my buy list.

I'm thinking when the time is right to try a new, different one.

On 6/1/2018 at 1:53 AM, rebuy said:

But a sub is not high on my buy list.

I'm thinking when the time is right to try a new, different one. 

I'm pretty happy with my DIY sub from PE, the Reference 15 w/Yung 500 watt plate amp w/bass boost.  Use bass boost for sealed.  About $500 for this combo.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7093

https://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd500-6-500w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-with-6-db-at-25-hz--301-514

PE has something called the Sub 15 (also Sub 12, etc) for $200 shipped.  The downside to that sub is the 150 watt plate amp which is fairly anemic.  I bought the Sub 10 for my son about three years ago and the amp gave up (caps went out) earlier this year.  It worked pretty well with his modest 5.1 setup until then.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I'm pretty happy with my DIY sub from PE, the Reference 15 w/Yung 500 watt plate amp w/bass boost.  Use bass boost for sealed.  About $500 for this combo.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7093

https://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd500-6-500w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-with-6-db-at-25-hz--301-514

PE has something called the Sub 15 (also Sub 12, etc) for $200 shipped.  The downside to that sub is the 150 watt plate amp which is fairly anemic.  I bought the Sub 10 for my son about three years ago and the amp gave up (caps went out) earlier this year.  It worked pretty well with his modest 5.1 setup until then.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634

I have the same reference pack and agree that its a great value. The assembly is easy too. The amp with bass boost is actually pretty important for this kit. I have mine running with an INuke 1000 bridged and I feel like it can still use more bottom end.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twk123 said:

The amp with bass boost is actually pretty important for this kit. I have mine running with an INuke 1000 bridged and I feel like it can still use more bottom end.

That Inuke 1000 is a pretty good match usually, but doesn't it have the DSP?  I take it from what you are saying you can't boost the bass with that amp.  That sub driver needs to add 6db at 25 Hz and it's wonderfully musical as well as being pretty good for movie use as well.

I recently picked up a couple of Umax 15's used on the cheap and I am about to finish them up.  I bought the 3.0 flat packs from DIYSoundgroup.com and I have two Inuke 3000 w/dsp, one for each sub.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Emile said:

Great find! $50 cheaper than PartsExpress :D 

Erich H from DIYSoundgroup designed the flat packs then has them CNC cut and sells them at cost to the DIY community.  He also provides the same flat packs, including the great packaging, to PE.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That Inuke 1000 is a pretty good match usually, but doesn't it have the DSP?  I take it from what you are saying you can't boost the bass with that amp.  That sub driver needs to add 6db at 25 Hz and it's wonderfully musical as well as being pretty good for movie use as well.

I recently picked up a couple of Umax 15's used on the cheap and I am about to finish them up.  I bought the 3.0 flat packs from DIYSoundgroup.com and I have two Inuke 3000 w/dsp, one for each sub.

I have the version that does not have DSP. The AVR has Audessey so hopefully that will help when I finally start calibrating. I currently have an MWF-15 slot port cab with the Reference HF driver that I am using with my LaScalas in my 2 channel rig. I am planning a Cinema F-20 build soon and will most likely swap the sealed Dayton cab with the ported one in the theater.

That is going to be a heck of a setup with those dual Umax 15 subs...

20 minutes ago, twk123 said:

I have the version that does not have DSP. The AVR has Audessey so hopefully that will help when I finally start calibrating.

I didn't think about Audyssey.  The higher end AVR's have a powerful version of Audyssey which will calibrate subs.  And even if Audyssey won't you can still go back into the setup menu and add 6 db to boost the 25 Hz region, if your version allows that much fine tuning. 

20 minutes ago, twk123 said:

That is going to be a heck of a setup with those dual Umax 15 subs...

I know I could run both Umax's off a single Inuke 3000 w/dsp but I have two so I figured, why not just use one for each sub?  It's just an experiment in fun.   :)

I'm using all Neutric connectors so I'm building all the cables as well.

32 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I didn't think about Audyssey.  The higher end AVR's have a powerful version of Audyssey which will calibrate subs.  And even if Audyssey won't you can still go back into the setup menu and add 6 db to boost the 25 Hz region, if your version allows that much fine tuning. 

I know I could run both Umax's off a single Inuke 3000 w/dsp but I have two so I figured, why not just use one for each sub?  It's just an experiment in fun.   :)

I'm using all Neutric connectors so I'm building all the cables as well.

Once I start to play around with it, ill see what I can do to the sub trims. We have not put in any sound treatments yet and I want to get that in before i run any Audessey. Its my first time playing with the tool as well.

Very cool. Speakon connections are great for sub builds in my opinion. Bridging the I Nukes is a little tricky until you get the 4 pole connections figured out with the correct hookups but easy once you set it up the first time. I just replaced the incredibly noisy fan in my INuke with this one from Amazon and had it blow out the back of the case and have been very happy with it. I just cut and re-soldered the new wires and it dropped right in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KF7P34G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My apologies to the OP if we are hijacking this thread, hopefully this discussion can provide some insight if you want to go DIY with the subs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twk123 said:

My apologies to the OP if we are hijacking this thread, hopefully this discussion can provide some insight if you want to go DIY with the subs.

Mr. @rebuy is a pretty cool guy.  We haven't met except on-line but he lives in West Virginia about 45 minutes from me.

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Mr. @rebuy is a pretty cool guy.  We haven't met except on-line but he lives in West Virginia about 45 minutes from me.

Oh I really wasn't expecting a reply---I just wanted to say my sub had died.

Right now I'm doing without and doing pretty good.

I have more pressing things on my plate than audio gear.

I did subscribe to Apple Music and like it pretty well.

That's all I'm buying right now.