Integrated amp for Chorus II

beaz1591

I currently have my Chorus II's hooked up to an Denon AVR (90 watts) and have been mostly unimpressed with the sound it's putting out. Bass seems anemic and the sound is flat at times, so I would like to change out the amp. I have been looking at integrated amps because of their simplicity. I mostly stream my music but am looking to add a turntable in the near future so don't need a lot of inputs. 

I've narrowed down my search to the Peachtree Audio Nova300 and the Parasound Halo Integrated. I've read great things about both companies and lean more towards the Peachtree because I can add a tube buffer. I've never heard tubes but like that I can add the sound with this system.

I have a couple questions. Do you think I need the 300 watts of the Nova300 to drive the woofer with authority? Or could I save a few bucks by getting the Nova150 which has 150 watts. The Parasound has 160 watts but costs about the same as the Nova300 and I don't like the looks of it as much. I know the Parasound has some bass management features but I'm currently thinking of only a two channel system, I have a sub I can add if I feel it's necessary.

Does anyone have experience with either of these setups or some insight?

Thanks,

Aaron

• Like 1

Aaron,

You do not "need" 300w/ch to make them thump.  Never owned or heard any of the Peachtree integrateds so can't say which would be better between them and Parasound.

I will say you can find "cheaper" integrateds that will do what you want.

Bill

Wow ... nice amps ... better be nice for $2000+ :D 

You may want to consider "vintage amps." Running my KPT-904's with a Marantz 2252B (52W/ch ... got it for $400 a couple of years ago) ... and my Cornwall's with a Yamaha CR-620 (30W/ch ... haha $120).  Power is more than sufficient :D , but if you want "more" there are many good powerfull vintage receivers out there. I suggest Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer and Yamaha.

Cheers, Emile

Thanks for the replies everyone. @westcoastdrums was that with the Nova300/150 or the older stuff? I know they had quality control issues in the past and moved manufacturing to Canada as a result. I appreciate the suggestions, if anyone has any others I would love to hear it.

Ideally it would check the following boxes,

1. Under $1500 used

2. Phono input

3. Headphone input

4. DAC 

5. Enough power

6. Subwoofer output

I love the simplicity of the integrated amps over separate components and lean towards something that has all of this built in so that my wife or kids can use the system if I'm gone. I like the idea of tubes I just don't have any experience with them. 

I understand the speakers are very efficient and don't require a lot of power but then get confused when I read some people claim you need several hundred watts to make them sound their best.

Thanks again for the help.

Aaron

You do not need several hundred watts to make them sound their best.  In my experience, Chorus II sound best at higher volume levels, but you don't need an enormous amount of power to drive them to those levels.  I have driven mine with a vintage Marantz 1250 integrated, and a pair of Mcintosh MC250 amps utilized as monoblocks.

I have some Chorus II and have had real good results with both vintage and modern. I have used a Kenwood KA-9100 (still own) and now using a Marantz PM 8005. I would give the nod to the latter. Both sound very good at moderate levels but you can certainly punish your ears if you desire :). I don't listen at super loud levels anymore.

Edit: After reading the OP - I would add the bass could in no way could be said to be anemic with either of these amps and both are under 100 watts.

Edited by Huiez
re-read op comment

I was using a gone over by NOSValves (of this Forum) EICO HF-81 tube integrated with a whopping 14 watts per channel...as well as Nakamichi STASIS (Nelson Pass) TA-2A with 50wpc...I've also had good results from an Outlaw Audio RR2150 retro receiver 100wpc and an updated McIntosh MA6200 at 75wpc...the bass thumps with those Chorus lls...toe'd in a bit and about 10-12 inches off the back wall...near to the corners if you can...

The good stuff is out there...I will also add that when I tried two Home Theater receivers I was less than satisfied with the sound reproduction...but it wasn't for lacking in bass...

Good luck with your choice!

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of great suggestions of amps I wasn't aware of. Thanks for all the responses. I have heard AVR's are iffy when it comes to sound, I was just hoping mine wouldn't be the case. I know it's not the speakers, listening to Ozzy's No More Tears album sent shivers down my spine, I'm just trying to replicate that feeling. 

My room is approx. 15 by 30 feet and the placement isn't perfect as they are currently in front of the two small walls by my projector screen. I need to move some things around in the room and then I'm planning on putting them in the corners of the room at the top like in the diagram.

It sounds like 150 watts would be plenty. I'm thinking of getting the Nova150, it checks all the boxes, has good WAF and I can get B-Stock for $1200, that includes a 3 year warranty. It has a loop output so you can add a tube buffer. I'm not real familiar with these but have read that they can make a significant impact on sound. I was thinking of the Yaqin CD3. Does anyone have any experience with this or tube buffers in general?

Aaron

Screenshot_20180601-153941~2.png

Lots of great input, I felt ready to pull the trigger on a used Parasound but it sold very quickly, probably for the best as the more I look at things the more unsure I am. I love the idea of an all in one for convenience but I'm debating the benefits of going solid state amp with a tube preamp. I feel I need to sleep on it

15 hours ago, beaz1591 said:

I appreciate the suggestions, if anyone has any others I would love to hear it.

Ideally it would check the following boxes,

1. Under $1500 used

2. Phono input

3. Headphone input

4. DAC 

5. Enough power

6. Subwoofer output

How about one of these?

http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/NAD-Electronics-C-388-Hybrid-Digital-DAC-Amplifier-Factory-Refurbished?cat=47

Bill