Integrated amp for Chorus II

beaz1591

I'm sold on the NAD, seems to have everything I could want and then some. Thanks for all the information. I do have a question though, if I went with the C368 over the C388 do you feel like the 80 watts would be enough power or should I just pay the extra for the 150 watts. I don't want to regret not having enough power but at the same time I don't want to pay extra for watts I would never use. They have identical specks minus the watts. I tend to crank my system to 90-100 decibles from time to time.

16 hours ago, beaz1591 said:

I'm sold on the NAD, seems to have everything I could want and then some. Thanks for all the information.

Good, now I know someone who owns(will own) one.  

16 hours ago, beaz1591 said:

I do have a question though, if I went with the C368 over the C388 do you feel like the 80 watts would be enough power or should I just pay the extra for the 150 watts. I don't want to regret not having enough power but at the same time I don't want to pay extra for watts I would never use. They have identical specks minus the watts. I tend to crank my system to 90-100 decibles from time to time.

Well tough question.  If you are uncertain about the C368's less power, you could get it and try it out for yourself.  If it does not thump the way you want it, send it back(most retailers will gladly let you return especially if you are stepping up to a more $$$ model) and get the C388 or just find a more powerful used amp and use the preouts.  Quality power amps are cheap on the used market.

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Emile about the vintage receivers. I'm driving my Chorus IIs with a 1977 Pioneer SX-1050 and the sound is wonderful on everything from very quiet easy listening all the way up to AC/DC blowing you out of the room. 

• Haha 1

I use a Marantz PM-8004 with Chorus IIs. I have also used it with Forte IIs. 70 awesome watts of power that sound beautiful and can drive the speakers far beyond reasonable listening levels. I sold my first unit before purchasing my house. I have since bought a new one and am happy again.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marantz-PM8004-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-PM-8004/332646518142?hash=item4d73470d7e:g:SBUAAOSwEMxa8y30

7 hours ago, beaz1591 said:

I ended up going with the NAD C368, the 80 watts seems to be ample. The sound is significantly better and I couldn't be happier with the combination.

Glad you found a match for what you were looking for. Just for grins I downloaded a db meter app for my iPhone. I found my normal listening level is 70 and my loud setting is 95db. I then took it to 120 db and realized that is just too loud. However, my Marantz/Chorus II combo was up to the task.

• Like 1

Due to the efficeincy of Chorus IIs I find that the vast majority of my listening is done at 1/8th  to 1/4 of 1 watt. Cranking it up was between 1/4 to 1/2 a watt and 1 watt was enough to drive me out of the room I think you will find 80 watts are more than up to the task.