Greedy, Grasping, Greedy, Greedy, Greedy Ebay-o-rama-Supreme Court Backs Thebes

thebes

Ebay wants me to join them in an online petition to thwart those run amok state governments, who, gasp!, want to get sale taxes from the internet.

What a crock.  What Ebay and all the internet sellers, like Amazon etc. want is to continue to enjoy the lucrative tax holiday they got went the internet was new and young and a case could be made for giving a new industry a helping hand. This is in  addition to their much lower overhead compared to retail operations.

Now that they've destroyed millions of retail jobs, they still want to keep their goodies.  And they want saps like me, whom they must consider to be dumber than dirt, to buttress their bottom line, cause it will help, not the big corporate fat cats, but the little guy.

Yeah, I get that nobody likes taxes of any kind, but in reality, do sales taxes really get anybody wound up.  I mean when you buy a bag of groceries or a gallon of gas, maybe a shirt or a record, do you stand at the register seething over the injustice of it all.  Hell no!

Yes sales taxes are regressive casue they fall harder on the poor, but it ain't the poor who are shopping online, they don't have the credit and many the skills, plus they know the package will probably get boosted off their stoop. And don't for a minute kid yourself that this is like some enormous windfall for state governments. It's not. It's simply making up for the revenue lost from retail which has moved online.

Screed Thebes

Oh, here's their missive, or distorted horseshit, as I call it:

Dear Martin,

eBay supports tax policy that is fair to entrepreneurs, artisans, and small businesses, which are vital to the American economy, and we oppose efforts to impose taxes that would harm these businesses. Millions of people across the country sell on the eBay marketplace, and there has never been a more critical time to stand against new and unfair Internet taxes.

The U.S. Supreme Court will make a decision in the coming weeks that could give states the right to tax every small business on the Internet.

The issue is just as urgent on Capitol Hill, as states, shopping centers, and large retailers lobby hard to increase taxes on small businesses and their online customers. When the Supreme Court makes its decision, it will bring together the various threads on the issue of Internet sales tax.

Our leaders in Washington, D.C., and in state capitals across America need to know how you feel about these new and harmful Internet tax burdens. Please digitally sign this petition to show political leaders that you stand with us against these new taxes. It should take less than three minutes. We'll deliver your signatures to President Trump, key members of Congress, and select state governors.

Rest assured that eBay will continue to fight this battle on behalf of all of our valued customers. Thank you for taking a stand for millions of small businesses across America.

Sincerely,

Scott Cutler
SVP, Americas Marketplace

eBay

What a crock.  What Ebay and all the internet seller, like Amazon etc. want is to continue to enjoy

While I understand the gripe and am myself disappointed at the loss of local retail chains I'm not sure this could be considered greed by eBay as they are not the ones that will be directly impacted by this new tax anyone who buys and sells will be. Even if eBay loses fees due to lower sales because the costs of goods go up and less people buy stuff I'm sure they will make up for it in increased fees so bottom line we are the ones that will get dinged.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/americans-pay-more-in-taxes-than-for-housing-food-clothes-combined-2016-04-13

MW-EK074_us_tax_20160412122203_NS.jpg

12 hours ago, Schu said:

Single federal tax would take care of the whole shebang.

This is what they did here in Canada about 10yrs ago...I'm surprised the US gov'nt took this long to get to the issue

In a landmark decision in the case of Thebes vs. Thebes, the Supreme Court today, by a margin of 5 to 4, decided in favor of Thebes. 

When asked for his reaction Thebes was conflicted, stating he favored state sales taxes on internet sales, while at the same time arguing that he should be exempt, having developed the decisive logic used in the Supreme Court's trenchant decision.

Thebes was last seen drinking champagne in his left hand while smacking himself upside the head with his right hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Large internet retailers like Amazon and WalMart don't care as they have the financial systems and accounting departments to administer 50 state (and lots more city, county, etc.) tax jurisdictions.

The small internet retailers (many use eBay) do not, nor do they have the capacity or capability to comply.

I wonder who has been funding the campaign to institute this tax structure?

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Large internet retailers like Amazon and WalMart don't care as they have the financial systems and accounting departments to administer 50 state (and lots more city, county, etc.) tax jurisdictions.

The small internet retailers (many use eBay) do not, nor do they have the capacity or capability to comply.

I wonder who has been funding the campaign to institute this tax structure?

Just my opinion.

I don't know much about it, but I would hope the states require the site (Amazon, eBay, etc.) to collect and remit the sales tax.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I don't know much about it, but I would hope the states require the site (Amazon, eBay, etc.) to collect and remit the sales tax.

Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that Amazon and eBay collect and remit the taxes.

Would that not virtually force all small retailers into the fold of one if the mega-retailers? Of course, Amazon, etc. will take their "cut" for services rendered.

The small, independent internet retailers who choose to remain independent would likely be forced out of business due to the cost of compliance.

Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, TubeHiFiNut said:
8 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that Amazon and eBay collect and remit the taxes.

Would that not virtually force all small retailers into the fold of one if the mega-retailers?

The small, independent internet retailers who choose to remain independent would likely be forced out of business due to the cost of compliance.

No.  Nothing forces a person to sell in one place or the other.  You can always sell through your own site or via brick and mortar, but either way, you will collect and remit sales tax.  If you are a micro-business/individual, chances are you don't do this and sell through eBay/Amazon.  In that case, wouldn't it be much nicer to have eBay/Amazon worry about collection and remittance?

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

No.  Nothing forces a person to sell in one place or the other.  You can always sell through your own site or via brick and mortar, but either way, you will collect and remit sales tax.  If you are a micro-business/individual, chances are you don't do this and sell through eBay/Amazon.  In that case, wouldn't it be much nicer to have eBay/Amazon worry about collection and remittance?

It is onerous to expect any small business to have to add the overhead to comply with 50 different state tax cides and many, many more city, county, etc. tax codes.

If you believe that internet commerce should be controlled by mega-corporations, then this is a good ruling.

If you believe that the internet should remain a free and open marketplace with small, medium and large competitors then this is a bad ruling.

Again...just my opinion.

1 hour ago, thebes said:

Thebes was last seen drinking champagne in his left hand while smacking himself upside the head with his right hand.

I have the distinct feeling the former behavior led to the latter.  🍸🍸🌈