Greedy, Grasping, Greedy, Greedy, Greedy Ebay-o-rama-Supreme Court Backs Thebes

thebes

10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

From the article:

“New Jersey knitters pay sales tax on yarn purchased for art projects, but not on yarn earmarked for sweaters,” Roberts said, while Texas imposes a sales tax on plain deodorant but not on deodorant with antiperspirant, and Illinois treats Twix and Snickers bars differently for sales-tax purposes.

Nationwide sales-tax collection may impose a burden on smaller sellers, [Kennedy] said, but “eventually, software that is available at a reasonable cost may make it easier for small businesses to cope with these problems.”

“And in all events, Congress may legislate to ad­dress these problems if it deems it necessary and fit to do so,” Kennedy said.

That prompted South Dakota, which has no state income tax and relies heavily on its sales and use taxes, to pass a new law in 2016. The statute imposes an “economic presence test” on out-of-state retailers to subject them to sales tax liability. The measure applies to any retailer with at least $100,000 in sales or at least 200 individual transactions in the state.

These are fascinating quotes.  Kennedy might be right about the software solution, but even so, given the myriad arbitrary rules as demonstrated by Roberts (e.g., deodorant vs. antiperspirant; yarn vs. yarn for sweaters; etc.), the set-up of categories would have to be quite complex, and most importantly, the seller will have to make sure his inventory records properly classify the product according to all the local rules.  Common products, such as toothpaste, etc., will have Universal Product Codes to solve this problem.  In regards to products without UPC's, I can only wonder what the software solution might look like. 

This new problem could generate a sizable niche for new businesses.

My kids are all millenials.  My son buys toothpaste with his Amazon Prime account and gets it delivered to his door in a couple of hours.  He does the same with his groceries.  He doesn't go to stores very often.  He sends me links to what he wants for Xmas and I shop on line in seconds and have his presents delivered.  I haven't gone to a single store for Xmas shopping in 3-4 years.  The future is home delivery of everything and on line.  Regardless of taxation, brick and mortar.  None of that matters over the conveniences the new generation demands.

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

So, either way, they get paid by tax dollars, and you are complaining taxes are too high.

"Too high" is not what I wrote... I was referring to too many taxes and too much waste.   Taxing in increasing multiple ways is a sneaky way to take more money away from people without them noticing.

As far as the firefighter,  I'd rather see them paid by one bureaucracy instead of two.  You advocating for privatizing fire fighting?  

1 minute ago, muel said:

You advocating for privatizing fire fighting? 

No.  I think that would be a bad idea.  

1 minute ago, muel said:

As far as the firefighter,  I'd rather see them paid by one bureaucracy instead of two.

Tax simplification is really what we need.  I use to advocate against a federal sales tax (to replace the income tax) because a sales tax will tend to be regressive.  However, when I see the $billions of money wasted in our economy just to make busy-work for tax professionals, I think we ought to just go to a sales tax and let the capital/labor paradigm shift a little in order to make it all work out.

30 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Maybe its just me, but taxes, and permits are two things I love paying for.   I feel its my civic duty.

Must be a reasonable amount where you live. I paid over $35K in permits and other fees to build my own house. Not an apartment building or industrial building, my own house. Ludicrous and totally out of control IMO.

Must be a reasonable amount where you live. I paid over $35K in permits and other fees to build my own house. Not an apartment building or industrial building, my own house. Ludicrous and totally out of control IMO.
my basement finishing cost around $350.00

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, babadono said:

I paid over $35K in permits and other fees to build my own house. Not an apartment building or industrial building, my own house. Ludicrous and totally out of control IMO.

Yep, that's California.  Totally out of control and that's just the tip of the iceberg.   I don't see how you can live there especially considering the fact that you're a normal, reasonable person.  I've lived in 4 different states and would have no issues living in others as they all pretty much have plusses and minuses.  California on the other hand is a place that would never be on a list of states I'd ever entertain putting down roots.

7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Both UPS and Fedex have put tremendous pressure on USPS for parcel shipping.  By law no other company can deliver the mail

That only applies to first class postage. The Post Office's monopoly is limited to 1st Class Postage. Parcel, packages, 3rd class mailing etc. are open to competition.

• Thanks 1

Look, right now you can be sure that , Ebay, Paypal, Visa and Mastercard are all working on software that will be part of their packages for online retailers. It'll all be calculated automatically and there will be working groups in state tax offices that inform these software companies of any changes, probably similar to what state departments of transportation now do routinely for things like google maps.

Collection is another matter. Just like some small business owners with retail stores do now, some of the online stores will cheat on payment. That's a law enforcement thing, and outside of the debate over actually charging taxes.

The most important aspect of this entire matter is that once again the Supreme Court took my side.  I do believe their rulings over the last five decades are running 85% to 15% in my favor.

I look forward to the day when all our money bears the logo: "In Thebes We Trust".

Or maybe "E Pluribus Thebes". (sounds classier)

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, babadono said:

I paid over $35K in permits and other fees to build my own house.

That's just unbelievable, ridiculous by any standard.

47 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I don't see how you can live there especially considering the fact that you're a normal, reasonable person. 

Whoa..... reasonable yes but normal........OK he seems normal, had to think about it for a minute, he is from California so some thought had to go into it, now if he were from Portland, forget it, no chance.

:D

55 minutes ago, thebes said:

I look forward to the day when all our money bears the logo: "In Thebes We Trust".

Or maybe "E Pluribus Thebes". (sounds classier)

I think the THEBES logo is most appropriate sharing the West Virginia State Motto:

"Good enough."  🤓

1 hour ago, thebes said:

Look, right now you can be sure that , Ebay, Paypal, Visa and Mastercard are all working on software that will be part of their packages for online retailers. It'll all be calculated automatically and there will be working groups in state tax offices that inform these software companies of any changes, probably similar to what state departments of transportation now do routinely for things like google maps.

Right.  I considered that when I mentioned UPC codes in my post, above.  However, many mom and pop businesses deal in products which don't have these codes.  There would have to be a mechanism whereby the seller has to decide which tax category applies (e.g., bare yarn vs. yarn for sweaters).  That could be quite a mess.