Interesting La Scalas on eBay

baron167

During my brief gig as a LS builder in 76 and 77 I don’t remember seeing this as a regular production item.  That just looks wrong but maybe an experimental thing?

The 1/2 inch sides on the doghouse date these probably before 78 which would be 

about the same time frame as the Pie Logos.  However, placement of the Logos was typically on the upper outside corner of the Mouth Grill and for that reason I question their Legitimacy.  

Also, just my opinion but the high frequency sound field would have to be way messed up as well.  

Maybe a special order that lost a Logo and it got reapplied incorrectly, who knows?71B45EF0-F5B3-44F9-B08C-4D5D0E6CEFAE.thumb.jpeg.0dc3be249357f8a364e38452a6ed8fdd.jpeg

76ers with 1/2 inch dog house side pieces and PWK Pie Logos.

• Like 1

During my brief gig as a LS builder in 76 and 77 I don’t remember seeing this as a regular production item.  That just looks wrong but maybe an experimental thing?
The 1/2 inch sides on the doghouse date these probably before 78 which would be 
about the same time frame as the Pie Logos.  However, placement of the Logos was typically on the upper outside corner of the Mouth Grill and for that reason I question their Legitimacy.  
Also, just my opinion but the high frequency sound field would have to be way messed up as well.  
Maybe a special order that lost a Logo and it got reapplied incorrectly, who knows?71B45EF0-F5B3-44F9-B08C-4D5D0E6CEFAE.thumb.jpeg.0dc3be249357f8a364e38452a6ed8fdd.jpeg
76ers with 1/2 inch dog house side pieces and PWK Pie Logos.

I believe the H in the serial number dates these to 1970. I don’t think it’s a good design to change the tops, but maybe sounded better to the owner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar to the vertical CWs, I'm guessing the tweeter would go to the outside?

Mark

That’s what they made me think of, too! I have a pair of “Horivert” Cornwalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I'm guessing the tweeter would go to the outside?

Not so much to the outside...the real estate on the front would influence that.

The tweeter was designed to be placed in the vertical orientation....  I'm guessing Klipsch decided it didn't make much of a sound difference (but I certainly have no clue) and/or, decided they could save some materials cost if the  turned it and fitted it horizontally.

So yeah...if you look at how it was designed by EV, Klipsch has been installing them wrong all these years....

(don't tell Roy until he's in his Safe Space!!)

IIRC, Klipsch briefly made Khorns and La Scalas that way but decided EV’s designed vertical orientation, “didn’t make a dime’s worth of difference.”  Clearly, the construction and distribution costs to make mirror image left or right speakers were much more than a dime per speaker.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 6:52 PM, Coytee said:

Not so much to the outside...the real estate on the front would influence that.

The tweeter was designed to be placed in the vertical orientation....  I'm guessing Klipsch decided it didn't make much of a sound difference (but I certainly have no clue) and/or, decided they could save some materials cost if the  turned it and fitted it horizontally.

So yeah...if you look at how it was designed by EV, Klipsch has been installing them wrong all these years....

(don't tell Roy until he's in his Safe Space!!)

Vertical is better only if the crossover point is below 5000 Hz.  T-35_Disp.thumb.jpg.e0753835d556f9993c1654acc7964b5f.jpg