Klipschorns in the house

11 minutes ago, willland said:

Very very nice.  Congrats.

After some time with them, maybe you could post on Audiogon to help silence some of the Klipsch haters, though lately I have been noticing a few long standing members buying Klipsch Heritage and posting very favorable opinions.

Bill

Please don’t try to disabuse Klipsch haters.  That only drives up the prices for used Heritage.

15 minutes ago, tubesguy said:

That Miata needs a bigger engine in it in order to even out the weight distribution and the ride height.

I originally bought it for just that purpose.  The plan was to stuff in a 3.5 liter Buick/Rover aluminum V8.  But after driving it and getting used to it’s bullet-proof reliability, I couldn’t bring myself to do it.

• Like 1

What’s in there now?  I would use Type AA with fresh caps, whether by duplicating as a DIY project or purchasing from Bob  Crites.  I’d also consider using Bob’s 3636 autotransformers to permit subtle adjustments.  Bob, @BEC, might disagree with that.  

Regarding ALK, I would be surprised if “most” went that route.  I’m not suggesting that Al’s crossovers aren’t excellent, or a good value, I’m merely suggesting the cost is probably a deterrent to “most.”

There are some generalizations, but it depends on how much you want to spend and how you like to listen.  I'll throw out a couple of things, but I am not the expert on this.

Your Khorns have Type AA XO's.  This is considered a very nice XO, very good sounding at all SPL's.  It has a zener diode which protects the delicate K-77 tweeters.  The AA crosses over at 6000 Hz which also protects the K-77 which will blow if crossed any lower.

The problem with the K-77 is it has a known "hole" between 4500 and 6000 hz.  The way to deal with that is to get a XO which crosses at 4500 hz and that brings us to the Crites A/4500 which does exactly that.  If you use this XO you must replace the tweeters with something which can cross lower. 

I had the Crites A/4500 in my Khorns with a more robust tweeter section of my own choosing and no doubt they sounded better.  I used a SEOS 12 waveguide with a Denovo DNA 360 compression driver. 

5adf312509ab0_KhornSEOSrighttopview.thumb.JPG.80b7b40b1399465377fcfe107b2f0cac.JPG

59fcd8e18fa70_CritesA-4500top01-03-17.thumb.JPG.e20ef3a0cfce7ac5e43f8bd6f7af079d.JPG

(my A/4500 had the Sonicap replaced with a Jentzen)

The other option is to get the OEM AA XO updated with modern components, I think about $100 per pair.  This is less expensive than a completely different XO board and new tweeters.  I liked my Khorns with this setup as well.

There are guys who I hope will weigh in who have a lot more experience with crossovers than me who may provide better guidance.

My point of view regarding crossovers would be first...  just get used to what you're hearing.

Once you come to the point of updating...  it looks to me like you're reasonably close to the speakers.  Something that meshes quickly might help.

Meaning...  I put some ALK extreme crossovers in my Khorns.  What I stumbled onto was they sounded good....sure....  they're Khorns.  What I found interesting though was they sounded REALLY good when you stood 30' away from them (I measured).

What I think I pieced together was because of the better isolation of drivers, it took a bit longer (therefore further) for them to coalesce into a single sound bubble, making them sound fantastic.  I couldn't get that same "one voice" while in the room with them because I was too close.

So, something less steep might bring the listening window closer but, (from a technical point of view) at the expense of some extra interference between the drivers (but could you really hear it enough to make a difference?!!)

My vote would probably be to just update what's there.....

• Like 1

I would listen to them for a month before doing anything.

At that point, you might want to refresh the caps - something that many folks do. Personally, I would not try and re-design the crossover or spend a great deal on fancy caps. There are other solutions. Please wait a month and get used to them.

Meanwhile, enjoy them

-Tom

• Like 1

Nice thread!  I have always liked the AK-4's in my K's, for their smoothness, linearity, and coherency; haven't been as impressed with the very few alternatives I've heard.  Sure could be wrong, though.

I like the idea of the PS Audio power plant.  Have you listened for what difference if any it makes in how your turntable sounds?  I'd be interested in whether you hear a difference.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LarryC said:

Nice thread!  I have always liked the AK-4's in my K's, for their smoothness, linearity, and coherency; haven't been that impressed with the very few alternatives I've heard.  Sure could be wrong, though.

I like the idea of the PS Audio power plant.  Have you listened for what difference if any it makes in how your turntable sounds?  I'd be interested in whether you hear a difference.

The PP made a nice improvement on both sources. But the DPS power supply that Well Tempered makes was a bigger improvement to the table.

Shakey

I won’t name names, but I’ve had a few of the after market crossovers you guys are talk ing about.
I removed all the components on one of the crossover boards so that I could varnish the pretty cedar wood that they were on
and I find the other competitors name under the components of the crossover board
Iike I said , I’m not going to name names but it was really weird to find the other manufactures name under the components and then it being rebranded by the other makers name
I did call the said manufacture and asked him about it
he confirmed it to me that is was his crossovers and the other guy just changed one or two of the components and rebranded it with his name
just my two cents

• Moderators
5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The problem with the K-77 is it has a known "hole" between 4500 and 6000 hz.  The way to deal with that is to get a XO which crosses at 4500 hz and that brings us to the Crites A/4500 which does exactly that.  If you use this XO you must replace the tweeters with something which can cross lower. 

I had the Crites A/4500 in my Khorns with a more robust tweeter section of my own choosing and no doubt they sounded better.  I used a SEOS 12 waveguide with a Denovo DNA 360 compression driver. 

The only thing I don't like about tweeters used like that is all the reflections you get from the top of the speakers, that's alot of extra reflections.

1 hour ago, carlthess40 said:

I won’t name names, but I’ve had a few of the after market crossovers you guys are talk ing about.
I removed all the components on one of the crossover boards so that I could varnish the pretty cedar wood that they were on
and I find the other competitors name under the components of the crossover board
Iike I said , I’m not going to name names but it was really weird to find the other manufactures name under the components and then it being rebranded by the other makers name
I did call the said manufacture and asked him about it
he confirmed it to me that is was his crossovers and the other guy just changed one or two of the components and rebranded it with his name
just my two cents

Without you being too specific and me not being 100% certain, one well known crossover maker/designer was under "contract" to build/supply/install another well known crossover maker/designer's design.  Kind of a "partnership" from my understanding.

Bill

4 hours ago, LarryC said:

Nice thread!  I have always liked the AK-4's in my K's, for their smoothness, linearity, and coherency; haven't been that impressed with the very few alternatives I've heard.  Sure could be wrong, though.

when I had Klipschorns I had to replace the crossovers from the previous owner (they had lead a HARD life)...I bought AK-4s is part because of the positive responses here from dodger and LarryC...always liked how mine sounded as well...

Bill

Without you being too specific and me not being 100% certain, one well known crossover maker/designer was under "contract" to build/supply/install another well known crossover maker/designer's design.  Kind of a "partnership" from my understanding.

Bill

Hello my friend Mr Bill
Your right and wrong. I Seen the contract for the sale of 10 pairs of crossovers and it said that he was not to do any mods to them and And sure the hell not to change the name and try to take Credit for all the time and design work and the R&D work that went with making them to what they are
He took a wonderful crossover , and all he did was merely change one of the caps for different brand with a slightly different value and called it his own design
I just personally think that’s a dirty low handed yellow belly sap sucking way of doing business
God bless you my friend and hope all is well with you and your family
Carl

4 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Hello my friend Mr Bill
Your right and wrong.

and me not being 100% certain

I said I was not sure.:unsure2::P

God bless you my friend and hope all is well with you and your family

You too.

Bill