Help Identifying which series my Klipsch CF3 Soeakers are

LD2210

18 minutes ago, LD2210 said:

Can someone help identify what series my Klipsch CF3 speakers are?

No problem.  Yours will be 1994, 95 or 95.

1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 #### (135791234)

If you want to confirm you have version 1's measure the port from front to back.  5.5" means you have the holy grail of the Epic series.  2.5" are in the v2 and v3.

Welcome to the Klipsch forums.  Here is all we know about the Epic series, and you are officially a member of the Epic Owners club.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/159405-klipsch-epic-owners-group/&/topic/159405-klipsch-epic-owners-group/?hl=%2Bepic%2B%2Bowners

• Thanks 2

Honestly I don’t know a lot about them. I inherited them from my dad. He was quite the audiophile with a taste for the best of so I know these are top quality. I haven’t hooked them up since bringing them home recently although I am looking forward to it! 

1 hour ago, LD2210 said:

Thank you. My S/N is 278595646

so I take it that means it was made in 95. So the only true way to determine the version is to measure the port, right?

Yours are from 1995, so v2.  With most speakers this is not a big deal but the CF-x owners look at the v1 as the Holy Grail of the Epic line of speakers.  The CF-3 owners just rave about them and they are highly prized on the used market.

If you have the v1 the other way to tell is to look at the horn which is more gray than black.  For a person with a v2 CF-3 you could replace (or modify) the 2.5" port to 5" and I think there is a minor part on the crossover that needs to changed to retrofit a v2 into a v1.  I think if you will just play your speakers you will find they are very dynamic and very lifelike.

49 minutes ago, LD2210 said:

Honestly I don’t know a lot about them. I inherited them from my dad. He was quite the audiophile with a taste for the best of so I know these are top quality. I haven’t hooked them up since bringing them home recently although I am looking forward to it! 

I'm sorry to hear about your dad.  I'm sure he would be happy to know they went to his son so when you play them you can think of the pleasure he got from them.

Owning a pair of Klipsch is a lot less like owning a speaker and more like being part of a family.  If you have any question, any questions at all please feel free to ask them here and the Klipsch community will help.  -Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LD2210 said:

Thank you so much! Actually they went to his daughter. 😉

Oh!    (Dave gets red face)  We don't have many women here, please forgive the wrong assumption. 

If you have any questions, about amplifiers, about speaker wires, how to hook things up, about anything, feel free to ask.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Nevermind, I was hoping there was a S/N cutoff but after reading the link I pulled the port outlets and used a mirror to see the red and black plastic speaker wire so that looks like I have the Version 3. Oh well, they still sound pretty magnificent to me.

Any suggestions or mods to improve this version of the CF-3?

Would really appreciate any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the problem is that you tacked on to another members thread, and their question was answered.  Not a big deal, but perhaps just a timing/logistical issue.  I would suggest starting another thread asking your upgrade questions in the Technical section.  Dave, aka, @wvu80  likely will be able to help out.  Hope you get the answers you need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Epic-Heritage said:

Not the warmest welcome I've ever received. Been a newbie on several great sites but never given zero response or welcome after seven days.

I was hoping it was different here with my fellow Klipsch lovers.

Welcome to the Klipsch forum!  B)  :emotion-21:  :emotion-19:

A big thank you to @jimjimbo for the notification.  I just read the last four or five posts and Jim was spot on in everything he said.  Speaking for myself if a post isn't on the front page it is so easy to get lost.  Just as Jim said if you had started a new post and said "new member here" we might have spotted you.  Once you made your first post tacked onto something else it is easy for even a regular poster like myself to miss you

I love the Epic series and I have the CF-4 v1.  Everything about the sn I saw tells me you have the version 2.

I don't have any experience modding the v2 and v3 but I can tell you what I did to my v1 that improved the sound.  I had a specific harshness in the HF that once I heard it, I couldn't "un-hear" it if that makes any sense and I wanted to lower the overall frequency just a tad to make the sound more accurate, which I thought was a bit nasal.

Take your horn out and put some damping material on the outside (which is on the inside of the box).  If you do the "knuckle rap test" the horn has a certain frequency.  After the damping material it is lowered.  I use a drum stick instead of a knuckle because it is more clear to me.  I used an 11 oz tube of pure silicon caulk on each horn.  A lot of people like Dynamat, others use putty-like caulk.  The silicon caulk is $5 a tube and it works.

The other thing I did which I really think helped with the accuracy was to put about a pound of fiber-fil (a few hand fulls) around the bottom near the ports, being careful not to block the air flow.  These two little inexpensive mods did a lot to improve the accuracy of the sound IMO and the harshness was gone.

Here is the horn with the silicon caulk (use only PURE silicon as it stays pliable over time).  Be sure to put the silicon in the throat of the horn.  I applied it asymmetrically but I'm sure it doesn't make any difference which can be heard. 

post-58280-0-44540000-1397445613_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This thread has gotten pretty confusing because three different people have asked for help dating their Epics.

The second one was Epic-Heritage:

On 8/29/2018 at 10:09 AM, Epic-Heritage said:

Nevermind, I was hoping there was a S/N cutoff but after reading the link I pulled the port outlets and used a mirror to see the red and black plastic speaker wire so that looks like I have the Version 3. Oh well, they still sound pretty magnificent to me.

Any suggestions or mods to improve this version of the CF-3?

Would really appreciate any help.

On 9/6/2018 at 6:02 PM, wvu80 said:

...I love the Epic series and I have the CF-4 v1.  Everything about the sn I saw tells me you have the version 2...

Although Dave knows more about Epic speakers than I ever will, I think he missed the part in your post where you stated that you had red and black colored wire visible through the ports. So my understanding is that your first guess of version 3 was correct. I'm certainly no expert, so if there is another reason Dave  @wvu80 thinks it is not V 3 hopefully he will help me out and clarify.

Also nobody bothered to respond to a third request for Epic info, this one from newbie derbygoose, probably because it seemed this thread was finally concluded. Derby, it looks like your serial number is from early 1996, so I think that definitively means Version 3, if I'm reading the Epic dating guide correctly. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will post a more accurate assessment.

I'm apparently trying for the title of OCD posterboy today.

10 hours ago, triceratops said:

Although Dave knows more about Epic speakers than I ever will, I think he missed the part in your post where you stated that you had red and black colored wire visible through the ports. So my understanding is that your first guess of version 3 was correct.

I did miss that and @triceratops nailed it.  ONLY the v3 CF-3 or CF-4 came with black and red wires coming off the crossover.  You don't even need to check port sizes, color of the mid-horn or s/n. 

Black and red wires, version 3 from 1996.

• Like 1