Cornwall Tweeter Change from CW I to II?

boom3

I've followed the threads about the Cornwall 1/1.5/II and also the interesting account of Klipsch buying the Heppner tooling for the K-79, etc. It got me thinking, why did the CW II go with the K-79 and not keep the K-77, and following that thought on, if the K-79 is better than the K-77 (some think it is) why didn't Klipsch start using the K-79 across the entire Heritage line?

I eagerly await the answer, too.

Just a guess, but I'll bet the K-79 isn't efficient enough to match up with the La Scala II or the Klipschorn, without lowering their overall efficiency/sensitivity lower than desired.   If I remember correctly, the Khorn and La Scala of 1977, when Don Keele Jr. did the chart (in Dope from Hope), were 2.85 to 3 times as efficient as the Cornwall of that time, in the sense that 1 watt into a Khorn produces the same SPL as 2.85 to 3 watts into a Cornwall.  

8 hours ago, garyrc said:

I eagerly await the answer, too.

Just a guess, but I'll bet the K-79 isn't efficient enough to match up with the La Scala II or the Klipschorn, without lowering their overall efficiency/sensitivity lower than desired.   If I remember correctly, the Khorn and La Scala of 1977, when Don Keele Jr. did the chart (in Dope from Hope), were 2.85 to 3 times as efficient as the Cornwall of that time, in the sense that 1 watt into a Khorn produces the same SPL as 2.85 to 3 watts into a Cornwall.  

Makes sense to me...fully-horn-loaded vs.NOT fully-horn-loaded...the Cornwall woofer is gonna need more wattage to make up for the lack of the horn lens with its compression slot...whether it has ports lending the woofer a hand or not.

Efficiency is the right answer (isn't it always).  The K-79 is running full-bore in the Cornwall.  It would have had to be stepped up for the K-horn / LaScala, and that would have resulted in a power handling issue. 

• Like 1

But isn’t the newer K-107-ti (K-79 with titanium diaphragm and tractrix lens) 3db more efficient than the stock K-79?

If so, that’s the ticket, the K-107-ti can be safely crossed lower than the K-77.

Does anyone have the specs on the three for comparison?

• 5 weeks later...

I hope someone has the specs on all three.  Although the K-77 was crossed over at 6K for decades, it is now crossed over at 4.5K in the Klipschorn, but with a steeper slope to protect it.  EV used to cross it over (when it was the T35) at 3.5K at 12 dB per ocvtave.

• 2 months later...

Question 1: what network type was used in the CW2s?

I recently required a set of CW1s and wish to keep the drivers, k33e (square), k55v, and k77m (square).  My CW1s have type B network. 

Question 2: is the type B2 the last evolution of the network for my drivers?