ALK universal crossover

Here is what the old networks eventually do. Those old caps are filled with PCBs - they are toxic, and considered hazardous waste. I tell people to dispose of them (do not throw them in the trash). I don't think anyone should be reselling them, or putting them back into the speakers.

1978.JPG

10 minutes ago, Deang said:

Here is what the old networks eventually do. Those old caps are filled with PCBs - they are toxic, and considered hazardous waste. I tell people to dispose of them (do not throw them in the trash). I don't think anyone should be reselling them, or putting them back into the speakers.

1978.JPG

I have never seen a leak like that....not saying it doesn't happen of course.  And almost all of these types that I have seen say "No PCB" on them.

But it is not only caps which can be or need to be changed - I am surprised how few people around here seem to try diffrent autoformers or bass coils - though I admit I did not think they would make much of a difference before I tried it myself - and no, I am not selling or trying to promote anything 😁.

22 minutes ago, Deang said:

Stop it Jim. I can't sell any networks unless I can people to cave into my fear mongering. :-)

Damn it, I forgot!!  I'm sorry.  People!  Listen to Dean!  Just touching those old nasty caps can give you the clap.....:emotion-14:

How's that?  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dubai2000 said:

But it is not only caps which can be or need to be changed - I am surprised how few people around here seem to try diffrent autoformers or bass coils - though I admit I did not think they would make much of a difference before I tried it myself - and no, I am not selling or trying to promote anything 😁.

Oddly enough, I'm currently "rebuilding" my ALK Universal kits I purchased quite a few years back for my K-horns.
It was my first soldering project, and it looked like gray gum wadded around the connections.

I'm seriously considering replacing the 1.3mh woofer coil that came with the kit with the 2.5mh value used in the type A and AA.

I know Al argued for the 1.3mh, but I find it odd that his Super AA upgrade keeps the stock 2.5mh woofer coil.

While testing the rebuilt crossovers, I wanted to find out the frequency where the voltage across the 
1.3mh inductor equals the voltage across the K-33 (the -3b voltage point).  It turned out to be around 
1400 hz!  As it turns out, the impedance of a 1.3mh inductor at 1400 hz is 11.4 ohms, which must be the 
impedance K-33 at 1400 hz???

For fun, I hooked up a 2.5mh inductor between the amp and the K-33, and found the -3db voltage to be

closer to 400 hz, or 6.2 ohms.  Seems like replacing the ALK Universal woofer coil might be an interesting experiment.

Mike      

On 6/4/2018 at 4:19 PM, bkwa1959 said:

I may need to have my AA crossovers rebuilt to try and compare,I never wanted to mess with the original crossovers so I could always put the speakers back to original condition.

What year are you using? 

Older networks and caps in particular I would not perceive an advantage to return to.