Klipsch & Drag Racing

artto

Spent Sunday at Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, IL for the JEGS Route 66 Nationals.

I took my calibrated SPL meter along. 131.4dB was the highest SPL I recorded. I was about 400' from the starting line, grandstand row 9. Of course, they use Klipsch Pro Audio here. I was able to capture a picture of one of the funny cars blowing its engine as it passed by.1765762088_Route66Raceway6-3-18crop70.thumb.jpg.71d9f6726d9dead9fd7486ffb979500b.jpg

Route66Raceway2_6-3-18crop.jpg

I can't imagine how loud that must be, to be close to one of those machines.

I did however, see something quite recently where someone has a dragster that uses an electric motor.  Seems he's quite competitive with it and made a joke that while all the engine guys are tearing down/rebuilding their engines between runs....  he's just plugged into an outlet to recharge his batteries.

34 minutes ago, artto said:

I took my calibrated SPL meter along. 131.4dB was the highest SPL I recorded. I was about 400' from the starting line, grandstand row 9. Of course, they use Klipsch Pro Audio here. I was able to capture a picture of one of the funny cars blowing its engine as it passed by.1765762088_Route66Raceway6-3-18crop70.thumb.jpg.71d9f6726d9dead9fd7486ffb979500b.jpg

Nice Shot! I cant find the link but there is an old story on the Klipsch blog of a racecar that flipped over the barrier into one of the Klipsch speakers and tossed it around a bunch. I guess they just plugged it back in and everything worked fine. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, artto said:

1765762088_Route66Raceway6-3-18crop70.thumb.jpg.71d9f6726d9dead9fd7486ffb979500b.jpg

Nice shot! Looks scary -- hope the driver was OK.  However, I can't help but think of the irony in this photo with the "Make-a-Wish" car on fire -- reminds me of a birthday candle.

P.S. These photos should go in that "Klipsch Spotting" thread (or whatever it's called).

14 hours ago, artto said:

There is a Top Fuel Funny Car driver that just signed up on 6/4/18 on the Klipscg Owners Forum on FaceBook. Seems he owns some La Scalas  :D

• Administrators
19 hours ago, twk123 said:

there is an old story on the Klipsch blog of a racecar that flipped over the barrier into one of the Klipsch speakers and tossed it around a bunch. I guess they just plugged it back in and everything worked fine. 

Pretty much!

https://www.klipsch.com/blog/klipsch-speakers-track-tested-thanks-to-the-ihra

Also, awesome photos, @artto!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 11:50 AM, Coytee said:

I can't imagine how loud that must be, to be close to one of those machines.

I did however, see something quite recently where someone has a dragster that uses an electric motor.  Seems he's quite competitive with it and made a joke that while all the engine guys are tearing down/rebuilding their engines between runs....  he's just plugged into an outlet to recharge his batteries.

Lots of electric racing coming soon. A series of electric motorcycle racing uses a noise makes to simulate the sound of a internal combustion engine.