More K-1132 and K-1133 driver questions.

Dave A

These come in two ohm ratings. At first I thought that the 1132 was 8 ohms and the 1133 was 16 ohms. I am buying some and one of these is a new in the box driver marked 1132 and 16 ohms. My questions are does the diaphragm determine the ohms rating or is there another internal thing that does? Is it a problem using a 16 ohm driver on a regular KP-456 setup with stock OEM crossovers? With the drivers I got from Tim there was a difference and there was a set of 16 ohm drivers in there. It appeared to make no difference on how they played with both ohm ratings working fine though there was a slight tone difference. What is the difference between these two anyway since since they both apparently can be 8 or 16 ohm?

Sometimes getting info on Klipsch is like pulling teeth and I wish all the old data had been saved when Klipsch redid the forums.

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

These come in two ohm ratings. At first I thought that the 1132 was 8 ohms and the 1133 was 16 ohms. I am buying some and one of these is a new in the box driver marked 1132 and 16 ohms. My questions are does the diaphragm determine the ohms rating or is there another internal thing that does? Is it a problem using a 16 ohm driver on a regular KP-456 setup with stock OEM crossovers? With the drivers I got from Tim there was a difference and there was a set of 16 ohm drivers in there. It appeared to make no difference on how they played with both ohm ratings working fine though there was a slight tone difference. What is the difference between these two anyway since since they both apparently can be 8 or 16 ohm?

Sometimes getting info on Klipsch is like pulling teeth and I wish all the old data had been saved when Klipsch redid the forums.

It's not just Klipsch data that is lacking. All other manufacturers lack as well, usually worse. I have a pair of 1133's. These are much shallower then my original pair from about 6 years ago. In both cases, they are 8 ohms. Based on conversations with engineering people at 2 different non Klipsch companies, it's strictly the Diaphragm Voice Coil that determines the impedance. The driver structure is the same, so you can choose 16 ohms or 8 ohms diaphragms. Choosing 16 ohms makes them more desirable for use with tube amplifiers as well as dropping the output down by 3 db via less power draw from any given amplifier and bring the level closer to the woofer section, which is always 3-12 db less efficient than the midrange, thereby simplifying passive network design. Also, the capacitors are smaller for 16 ohm drivers, which could have some influence on the decision. TAD drivers are only 16 ohms, and no 8 ohm options are available...............for a reason that is still a mystery. LOL>

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

Cause they suck?  :emotion-14:

Fortunately, they also Blow, so make some pretty nice sine waves with that 180 degree phase change with music! But I did want to add that 1133's on K402's had no EQ and a single capacitor doing Xover duty. Even the active bass section in my Quarter Pies only had a bandpass filter. No PEQ was required. Not so with 2 ways with TADS or others.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2018 at 10:49 PM, mikebse2a3 said:

Here is the K-1133 phase plug.

The K-1132 phase plug is a different design of Roy's if I remember correctly that gives extended HF response but I don't have any pictures of it.

697843575_K-1133phaseplug.thumb.jpg.a204cf7b02fafc9d3a4073f18b5e2f68.jpg

The phase plug on the 1132 looks exactly like this. This leads to a question namely since the diaphragms are interchangeable how do you tell what the driver was originally?  Is the only differentiator the diaphragm?

• Like 1