LaScala copy bass bins. $150.00. Central Arkansas

kohill

Title pretty much says it all. I traded for these a few years ago, but never really used them. They look rough, but seem well constructed. They don’t have Klipsch woofers. When I got them I was disappointed by the sound. When you put a bookshelf speaker on top, like in the picture, they sound pretty good. 

42695237-0739-4EC5-9675-F60756736E46.jpeg

It would be a good start for someone to just add 1/4" to 1/2" wood of some sort around the bass bins to make them a little more solid and then maybe veneer.  Then, build some top hats like the La Scala II which is what I did on the Belle clones I built.  You'd have a similar look to the LS II's at that point.  Of course, there's the cost of procuring the woofers, mids/horns, tweeters, crossovers, grill cloth, etc.  But the bass bins would give a huge head start to a project that could be as basic or upper end as one would want.

How would you terminate the woofers on something like this, if you were just running the bass bins with a separate pair of speakers on top (like shown)?

I googled something about a coil in series with the woofer... but what value, assuming a K-33-ish woofer inside?

You would not want the bins going much higher than 500hz would you? 

You could play around with all sorts of tops!

Do you know what brand (and size - assuming they are 15") and what impedance on the woofers?  I think the Type A network uses a 2.5mh coil on the 4 ohm K-33 woofer.  If you have the wrong woofers in these and no mid and tweeters I'm sure they don't sound very impressive.  Can you remove the bottom cover and see the woofer and any numbers on it and is it an accordion edge surround.

Just thinking...

I am in the middle of a handful of “projects”, as usual. LaScala splits and Peavey FH-1 bass bins...

Put the bins (with a 2.5mh coil) on “speakers A” and my Heresy’s  on “speakers B” while I fart around with the tops.

...I miss my LaScalas... badly

To the original poster: I might be inclined to hold on to those...

If you have ever heard LaScalas with decent source equipment they are hard to live without.

This is a very timely post as I just sold my ‘92 LS to free up room for a pair of Indusrial LaScala Splits in the process of being refurbished.

I don’t think you could make the bins for your asking price, and it would take a lot of time and efforrt if you could.

I haven’t got the tops running yet but I have two sets of bins for comparison - Peavey FH-1’s with K-33-E’s and LSI’s with K-43’s. I have finished these first as they are the base everything else sits upon. They are airtight now. People drilling holes in the doghouse for casters and wiring... sheesh!

Guess what!? They both sound like crap without the upper frequencies!

And once again, this is using the same equipment that the 92 LaScalas sounded so wonderful on.

22A2874F-6B28-4F78-AC2F-BE3B99073A12.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 1:50 PM, kohill said:

42695237-0739-4EC5-9675-F60756736E46.jpeg

DARN ... @kohill ... If you would have been in Florida I would even have given you more $$'s :D 

Still looking for a pair of LS bass bins. Want to try them with K510 horns  (or K402's, but don't have enough room for those) ... think it will be awesome. Anyone making a "knock-down" kit?

Cheers, Emile

It would be kind of tough to make them a "flat pack" with how they have to be assembled since no two are exactly alike, most likely.  One could get close but there would be some adjustments that would have to be made once they arrived.  But with how everything is assembled in stages via glue/clamped/nailed/screwed, it could make other panels off by just a tad here and there.  I could darn near do it with Belle bass bins I think.

• Like 1