Our new Home Theater build...Negatron 2

NBPK402

46 minutes ago, dtel said:

Very cool looking house, love the floors. Congratulations 

When we walked into the house for the first time the sellers realtor said we could change the floor if we liked..we said we love the Cantera Marble floors. :}

• Like 1

I forgot my old AT screen is 15' wide...The room is 19' wide, this should be easy to mount the screen since it leaves only 2' per side to deal with mounting the screen. My idea is to install some rails on each side wall 3' from the rear wall, and then when I make the new screen frame, I will make sure the frame is reinforced so it doesn't sag. I am thinking I can make a rail to put between the 2 windows with cables running to each side of the screen, and install a motor in the center. This way I can run 3 front speakers, and drop the screen down as low as I want too. This will also save me a bunch of money vs getting an electric screen, plus I will have a larger screen than I would with an electric screen that is under $3k. As soon as we get the keys I will measure again to make sure everything will work. I also need to find a nice size rug to put in front of the speakers.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2018 at 8:09 AM, TasDom said:

Yes, always the same and in focus. Just thinking about chains tho and you might have some swaying issues with ventilation / breezes. Not sure if it's common on all electric screens, but mine has a heavy weight bar across the bottom.

I agree, there could be an issue.  We were also worried that the sub might blow the screen back and forth, but Chris at Seymour said it wouldn't as long as it was a certain distance away.  You might want to check that with him.  Aren't his AT screens great?

I'd say no to the chains, unless there is a way to hold the screen still.  Maybe black chains for esthetics and earthquake protection, but a fine, very thick, hardwood beam that goes all the way into the side walls, to take the weight and hold the screen still.  An engineer is a good idea.

I'm hoping you use a Common Height "scope screen [approx. 2.35 or 2.39:1] in would look very impressive when projecting a 'scope image.  We find that zooming is fine -- no anamorphic lens needed.  At our distance (25 feet), re-focusing is needed only when changing aspect ratios.  Our presets with the Panny are "Scope" (2.35:1), "Todd-AO etc." (2.20:1), "Cinerama," "post 1953 standard" (1.85:1), "Goofy HDTV" (1.78:1 of 16:9), or "Classic" 1.37:1 [not 1.33:1].  

Your house is beautiful!  Is it in the U.S.?

• Like 1

But then you can't have the screen come majestically down as you play "Thus Spake Zarathustra" ...
Well with the new plan I can... the screen will have rails on the side walls, and and electric motor inbetween the 2 door/windows to raise and lower the 195" fixed AT screen. [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ellisr63 said:

Well with the new plan I can... the screen will have rails on the side walls, and and electric motor inbetween the 2 door/windows to raise and lower the 195" fixed AT screen. emoji4.pngemoji4.png

Perfect!     

58 minutes ago, ellisr63 said:

Well with the new plan I can... the screen will have rails on the side walls, and and electric motor inbetween the 2 door/windows to raise and lower the 195" fixed AT screen. emoji4.pngemoji4.png

That was my next suggestion :P

• Like 1

I think I am going to set up 5 JBLs on the walls as height channels in a Auro 3d arrangement for atmos, and Auro 3d. My next preamp will most likely have Auro 3d, and from what I have read you can use Atmos on a Auro 3d arrangement...might not be proper, but hopefully it will work. What I am worried about is Dolbys pending change to allowing upconverting of Dolby movies to DTS, and Auro 3d.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 4:06 AM, ellisr63 said:

Our new house is in Mexico. If I am successful in my idea...we will have an electric fixed 2.4 195" screen.

Do you speak fluent Spanish? Expat neighbors? More bang for retirement buck?

• Like 1

I speak hardly any Spanish, but I will be taking lessons soon. My wife speaks quite a bit of Spanish now as she is a fast learner.  The neighborhood we are moving into now is a mixed XPATS, and Middle class Mexican one. Cost of living in San Miguel is one of the most expensive areas in Mexico, and we still got this house for under $300k US$. We could have gotten a condo for around $80k, but we wanted a larger house, and a little bit of land. Our house is over 2500sqft...hard to really say as they count all building as sqft. Our house is listed as 3000sqft. Cost of living here is definitely less than California for sure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Schu said:

How did you decide on san Miguel of other areas?

I to am contemplating a move to Mexico for retirement.

My wife is a Agility dog trainer, and was teamed up with Team Mexico a few years back when she competed in Denver. She contacted them when we were talking about moving to Mexico, and was told San Miguel would be best for us. San Miguel has a large Xpat community, and even has a weekly bilingual newspaper. There are a good amount of people that speake english too. It is one of the safest places to live, and is growing very fast. Currently there are about 30k in expats with a total population of 80k.

Real Estate has jumped quite a bit in the last 5 or so years according to others we have spoken with, but you can still get some good deals. I looked last year when I came down and I expected to pay 400k to 500k for a house, and we got a place that was on a smaller lot for under 300k. We went smaller because we decided to be closer to town due to satellite internet being much more expensive for slow speeds, and poor reliability. Our new place will have cable internet, and I think the neighborhood even has fiber! Right now is the rainy season, and we see rain almost every afternoon or evening, with most of the rain being at night.

One thing to know is you do not want to be flashy. This is one reason why I am trying to conceal most of my audio equipment, and we drive a ordinary van. If you pay attention to what is happening around you and do not walk down dark streets where no one is you are safe. Basically act like you would in any major city in the USA. The people are very friendly around here, and even stop to help you when your car breaks down. We have a wall around our property with an electric fence on top, and will have an alarm too. Most of the crime here is non violent, and is petty theft. The malls here have police armed with heavy artillery, and are there to protect everyone. This might really scare you, but since we have been here in November we have not heard of any problems that were not drug related...meaning a drug deal went bad. No gang shootings, no drive bys, no mass shootings at all. If you live in town, we have friends that go out till 2am nightly and have never had a problem. A few months ago their was a shuttle that was robbed at 2am close to Mexico City. They took the belongings of the passengers and the shuttle, and left everyone unharmed...in the bay area people would have been injured or killed.

San Miguel was voted the best place to retire or vacation in the world twice now, and it is a beautiful place to visit or retire. It is 7000', with a daily temp of 40-90f every day of the year. San Miguel is more of a place for retired people, and you can live like a millionaire or on a $1500 a month budget...your choice. Just down the block from where we are currently staying is a house for $1.3m, surrounded by poor people, and some middle class.

I got to tell you they know how to party in Mexico! There are parties going on nightly throughout the year. We have a little Gordita roadside stand we go to almost daily, and have went to concerts thrown by the local church for free with the Gordita women. The concerts are with well known in Mexico bands, and everyone has a great time. Just about every morning there are hot air balloons flying overhead, fireworks can be herd randomly at least a few times a week, and usually on weekends you will see big fireworks displays going on. My wife calls it adult Disneyland. 

Come on down for a vacation, and see what you think, as it is not for everyone. Some people like the fully gated communities with beachs, golf courses, etc.. We love it here as it is perfect for us.

• Like 1

One thing I forgot to mention...If you move here bring all your electronics as they are expensive here. Once you become a permanent resident though you just say for personal use and it is free if it is accompanying you. If you mail it you pay 17% VAT which is calculated off of price plus shipping!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Schu said:

how are you transporting all your belongings?

We had a moving company move our stuff after we got rid of a ton of stuff it was still almost $10k, and I sold my dts10 subs which would have been about 1k alone to move. Small heavy items we brought in our van when we drove down here. Auto insurance is super cheap here for full coverage... I think it was under $600 got the year.

• Like 1

Looks like I will have some changes as the wife wants to have mirrors on the wall on the loft for her to practice dancing. This means I will no longer have 10' for the audio rack, but maybe 4' max, and still only a little over 2' high. The speakers will still be next to the windows but the doors will not be used behind the speakers (a plus for me), only the glass door to the left will be used. Room darkening curtains will be used, but not black, and a couple of carpets will be used for the floor too...again not black, but grey or blue with some white stripes (best compromise I could get as we will be getting the, from Costco).

On a 19' wide room, I will have to leave about 3' per side since we will be using the door which opens inward on the left, and we have the fireplace on the right. Not as much as I had wanted. Should I skip The center channel?

The old JBL speakers which are angled at 45 degrees as I recall will be set up as height channels, and as Auro3d channels. How do I calculate the height of them?

Would it be best to run side surrounds or rear surrounds, With the heights above them?

• Like 1

Room darkening curtains  -- test these before buying to make sure they will keep out the sunlight...  We used black-out shades; the ones we finally got are fine, but some that are for sale on the internet are not really blackout.

Put one on the side door too -- it can be kept back when you aren't running a movie.  The edges and tops of the curtains can go into a wooden or drywall light trap.

Negotiate to make sure you get a nice sounding room, that can be plunged into total darkness, except for ambient light that spills off the projection screen, which will be a lot!  We have a couple of flashlights on the couch, in case someone has a call of nature during a very dark scene. 

• Like 1