Our new Home Theater build...Negatron 2

NBPK402

JC Penny has pretty good curtains for this at fair prices.
If they do not meet your needs, return them.
Thanks, but we are living in Mexico so JC Penny is not an option. We have Costco, Home Depot, Walmart, and fabric stores or custom made options only.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Room darkening curtains  -- test these before buying to make sure they will keep out the sunlight...  We used black-out shades; the ones we finally got are fine, but some that are for sale on the internet are not really blackout.
Put one on the side door too -- it can be kept back when you aren't running a movie.  The edges and tops of the curtains can go into a wooden or drywall light trap.

Negotiate to make sure you get a nice sounding room, that can be plunged into total darkness, except for ambient light that spills off the projection screen, which will be a lot!  We have a couple of flashlights on the couch, in case someone has a call of nature during a very dark scene. 
Thanks, we will be using black out curtains on all the door/windows, and we are going to install a piece of art work to completely block out the light from the big round window. The 2 doorways that lead upstairs, and downstairs will also be getting doors to block off the light too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Working on getting the speaker locations set now for Auro3d. We will be doing 5 speakers on the lower level, and either 4 or 5 on the height channels. For some reason it is not recommended to do 5 on the height channels unless you do 7 channels on the bottom, and then you can do 5 or 7 on the heights. I am awaiting response from Auro about this, as I would like to have a center height also.

I am also going to remake my cabinet for the k402 (synergy) out of plywood this time, and if I can figure out the angles make it to where it could go in the corners if needed. We have a lot on our plate now on getting the racks, and the cabinets made. I want to get the cabinets made for the synergy horns at least for the front 3 channels so I can properly setup the height channels, as I will need to make custom brackets for them, and drill into clay brick walls. I am going to have someone come over with a hammer drill to drill for the mounts, all the art work, and drill for my acoustic treatments. We will not be building the horns until this fall, so now is the time to get as much of the other stuff done as possible.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 12:30 PM, ellisr63 said:

My wife is a Agility dog trainer, and was teamed up with Team Mexico a few years back when she competed in Denver. She contacted them when we were talking about moving to Mexico, and was told San Miguel would be best for us. San Miguel has a large Xpat community, and even has a weekly bilingual newspaper. There are a good amount of people that speake english too. It is one of the safest places to live, and is growing very fast. Currently there are about 30k in expats with a total population of 80k.

Real Estate has jumped quite a bit in the last 5 or so years according to others we have spoken with, but you can still get some good deals. I looked last year when I came down and I expected to pay 400k to 500k for a house, and we got a place that was on a smaller lot for under 300k. We went smaller because we decided to be closer to town due to satellite internet being much more expensive for slow speeds, and poor reliability. Our new place will have cable internet, and I think the neighborhood even has fiber! Right now is the rainy season, and we see rain almost every afternoon or evening, with most of the rain being at night.

One thing to know is you do not want to be flashy. This is one reason why I am trying to conceal most of my audio equipment, and we drive a ordinary van. If you pay attention to what is happening around you and do not walk down dark streets where no one is you are safe. Basically act like you would in any major city in the USA. The people are very friendly around here, and even stop to help you when your car breaks down. We have a wall around our property with an electric fence on top, and will have an alarm too. Most of the crime here is non violent, and is petty theft. The malls here have police armed with heavy artillery, and are there to protect everyone. This might really scare you, but since we have been here in November we have not heard of any problems that were not drug related...meaning a drug deal went bad. No gang shootings, no drive bys, no mass shootings at all. If you live in town, we have friends that go out till 2am nightly and have never had a problem. A few months ago their was a shuttle that was robbed at 2am close to Mexico City. They took the belongings of the passengers and the shuttle, and left everyone unharmed...in the bay area people would have been injured or killed.

San Miguel was voted the best place to retire or vacation in the world twice now, and it is a beautiful place to visit or retire. It is 7000', with a daily temp of 40-90f every day of the year. San Miguel is more of a place for retired people, and you can live like a millionaire or on a $1500 a month budget...your choice. Just down the block from where we are currently staying is a house for $1.3m, surrounded by poor people, and some middle class.

I got to tell you they know how to party in Mexico! There are parties going on nightly throughout the year. We have a little Gordita roadside stand we go to almost daily, and have went to concerts thrown by the local church for free with the Gordita women. The concerts are with well known in Mexico bands, and everyone has a great time. Just about every morning there are hot air balloons flying overhead, fireworks can be herd randomly at least a few times a week, and usually on weekends you will see big fireworks displays going on. My wife calls it adult Disneyland. 

Come on down for a vacation, and see what you think, as it is not for everyone. Some people like the fully gated communities with beachs, golf courses, etc.. We love it here as it is perfect for us.

As coincidence would have it my brother and sister-in-law should be in flight on Southwest from Oakland to Puerto Villarta as I type this. They just sold their home in Henderson Nevada and purchased a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath Condo there. He just retired from the Insurance business in Las Vegas. He told me the most time consuming part of the whole process was selling off his gun collection, Lol!

• Like 1

Some updates...

1: Measured out the angles, and it looks like the surrounds will be right where the loft wall meets the side walls. I need to work out a mount that will give me the correct angles now.

2: Measured out the front angles, and if I do it per Auro3d... I need to put my speakers in the front corners...not sure if this will work out better for acoustics or not as the fireplace is so close. The other issue is I was planning on installing the rails for the screen in the corners, and with the speakers there it might interfere with the rails. In addition the speakers would be partially behind the screen with the rest in full view. Now in one respect this might actually work out better as I could install Roxul behind the screen material where the speakers are not. This could make a nice difference in acoustics. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I finally have some progress coming...

1: I have a 100` fiber HDMI  cable on the way. I only needed 70`, but it was 60 or 100.

2: My rack is nearing completion with my last few brackets at the powder painter now. I have 2 shelves dummied up, and the 3rd one needing a crack repaired before it is installed.

3: I have 4 horns coming (these will use my old DH1As)which will be installed on some DIY Belle bass bins, hopefully after our trip next month.

4: I have 5 of the small amps on the way that Claude was raving about.

5: I have some amp cases coming so I can run 2 B&O amp modules in each one for each biamped speaker. Since I have 75' runs to the front speakers I will be bridging them.

I also have a contractor coming over to install a french cleat (made out of wood ) for hanging my acoustic panels 15' up once we get them built. I will be installing them continuous around the room at that height, and then some lower ones fornfirst reflections around the room. These will also serve to hide my XLR cables, and HDMI cable.

6: When we return from our vacation I should have my speaker mounts for my heights, and they will be installed before the acoustic panels. Hopefully I will be able to get the acoustic panels ordered before Xmas. There will be around 40 panels on one row, before we even start to do the first reflection ones(so cash flow is gonna be very scarce for this project(being retired)...gonna take till sometime next fall to get this room somewhat complete). I think I might do 1 layer of Roxul instead of 2 due to the extreme cost of getting them down here.

Still to come is the Chris MEH, Dirac boxes, digital crossovers, 4k projector, and a motorized fixed 195" Diagonal AT screen. 

Lots more...stay tuned. Lol

• Like 2

I have received the 100' fiber HDMI cable, and it works great! The amps Claude recommended also are excellent. The amp case I ordered were all scratched up so I am waiting for the seller to respond. My horns have arrived at the post office, and should be delivered to me tomorrow...hopefully undamaged. I received my powder painted pieces for the rack, and should have them installed today. I will still need to get the stone top shelf,but that will come later. I will post pics as soon as I get the last 3 shelves installed.

• Like 1

I made some more progress today...I dressed up the wiring, and now have all the shelves except one installed. The one that is left had a huge crack, so it is clamped up right now while the glue dries. The only thing left will be to get the top piece which will be a piece of plywood covered with Cantera stone just like the stone top to the right of the rack, and then The rack will be done.

20180925_153330 (1).jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Update: When I went to the post office to pick up the one horn, I found out the shipper had put all 4 in the box. Strange how it showed 4 for the quantity in the USA, and 1 for delivery...oh well I have all 4.

I have ordered my black theater sound curtains, and will pick them up soon. I also have electric curtain rails coming, and these will cover the entire glass wall.

I also ordered 3 Nelson Pass  ACA amps which I will run in bridged mono with one for each K402.  This will be my first time ever building and amp, and I have only soldered once when I was replacing caps on a crossover.

Meanwhile I have been working on getting my ISY 994i up to speed for turning on and off each individual amp...this will also hopefully control my curtains, and screen.

Lastly I have been ripping my Blurays to my NAS, and I should be done tomorrow.

• Like 2

Awesome to read about your place!

Does the attached pic look familiar?  [emoji3]

20180119_130934.thumb.jpg.77b6562df82813af894ed3b3ab21872b.jpg

Looks like a pic from the Bank in Centro in San Miguel. We love going to a restaurant that is jist to the right of this picture jf it js where i think it is. My wife calls San Miguel adult Disneyland. Parties nightly, with fireworks almost daily, and balloon rides every morning flying overhead.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

A little update...

1: I have frames being made for 2 bass traps that will be around 20', and I also have 39 pieces of 2" Roxul for the first reflection panels.

2: I have a new bluray cabinet being made that will do double duty as a stand for the center channel k402.

3: I have 2 new Dune Media boxes for streaming my 4k movies from the NAS. Today I finally got MyMovies software correctly configured for Dune. Now I have a nice graphical interface for my Movie Catalog.

4: I had an electrician come over and install 12 Insteon wall outlets, dimmers, and scene controllers for $50.

5: 4 more electric curtain rails should be going up in the next month...then on to building the horns.

• Like 1