Our new Home Theater build...Negatron 2

NBPK402

Six channel power amp looks good. Appears to be wired for dedicated bi-amping of the L-C-R speakers. What will be connected to the 2 extra blue Neutrik power cord receptacles?

I am running each pair of amps to its own powercon connector. I originally did this so I could turn them on and off via a Insteon power outlet via IP control. I wish that I knew enough about wiring to make the wires cleaner looking. I was reading Icepowers design info and they said even speaker wires should be clear of input wires...which makes it much harder with my layout to make it clean looking.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

A long day today...the 8 pin Speakons are no fun at all. I had to rewire several times after turning on the first time to find out why I had distorted sound, and it was the XLRs,then the speakons were the last problem. Right now I only have 1 MEH running through the new amp, and the other channel is on the p2500s. Tomorrow I will finish making the speakon cables, plus 2 power cables. Then I need to figure out how to run 12v LEDs for power indicating. The power switches had LEDs, but as I found out they were 12v and the seller never indicated this. I found out the hard way and then saw it in an Amazon review. It is so nice to be able to listen without hiss.

Now I can get these tuned the way they should be.

• 2 weeks later...

2nd cabinet is now ready for horn and drivers, and I have to say the carpenter did a better job than the first one by far. The third cabinet will start in a couple of weeks and it will be a rectangle that will be installed like most k402s are. It will be installed on top of a custom rack that will house my 6 channel amp. Hopefully by Xmas I will have a 2nd amp built.this amp wil lbe similar to thecurre t amp but will have 6 stereo amps with 2 Minidsp 2x4HDs.445450bed04c2c983f9108097002d649.jpgfcd5aee170d60744e9e269a53b83d682.jpgfa2c32d3a155ffefd453568917da0162.jpg58623b0e47cfbde556fc2749b9b4658c.jpg

On 9/22/2020 at 10:05 PM, NBPK402 said:

New amp is almost together now...keeping fingers crossed that my first assembly try works.d71635c6ce58b1cf2b1d4d6d9d732660.jpg8b29ddf9ab889b7f08f3aed491824f03.jpg3db724e881ddd6a5a9952dae67125966.jpg

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

holly Mamamia  -----this is unreal  --------

• Like 2

On 9/26/2020 at 3:02 PM, NBPK402 said:

I am running each pair of amps to its own powercon connector. I originally did this so I could turn them on and off via a Insteon power outlet via IP control. I wish that I knew enough about wiring to make the wires cleaner looking. I was reading Icepowers design info and they said even speaker wires should be clear of input wires...which makes it much harder with my layout to make it clean looking.

how much power overall -------?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NBPK402 said:

170w to each compression driver, and 550w to each pair of woofers per channel.

and no need for an internal forced air  fan ---with  larger  heatsinks  /vented bottoms- Man is that a large enclosure

• Like 1

and no need for an internal forced air  fan ---with  larger  heatsinks  /vented bottoms- Man is that a large enclosure

I am getting another one for my surrounds, rear surrounds, and heights. It will be SE only so 125w per amp module in stereo.... surrounds and rear surroumds will be internally biamped in the amp with 125w for horns and woofers.

Now I need to find out which is better...running one speaker off rhe same stereo amp or running bass on one and horns on the other.

• Like 1

What is the light color square on the lower back panel?

That is for a MEH name plate I am having engraved out of 1/8" copper. I am going to send one to Chris A, since he designed it so well, and is sharing the info, and tuning for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the right channel with grill. With camera flash you can see the magnets, but in the daylight you cannot. The left channel has the magnets painted as will the center when it is completed.1ec1c5a96db410608440c9e551393a34.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New case arrived... I decided to save about $100 and not get the handles. I think I like the one piece faceplate better than the 2 piece one too. The new amp will also have 3 power buttons, and the grooves to match the 1st amp. The 2nd amp will be for 4 Atmos channels, and 4 surrounds....with the surrounds being bi-amped using a pair of MiniDSP 2x4HD crossovers in the amp too. The new amp will have 6 asx125 modules, but all will be in stereo mode.0730b597fa995e795164e590b1fe2b63.jpg

Center channel cabinet arrived today, and it looks the best of the 3...proves that the more you do the better they come out! I will start assembly tomorrow, and then hopefully next weekend install it in the rack (I am waiting on the casters for the rack so I can install the center in place). Pics are of the center channel on its side.bb49a2bef72b49324a98adedad5ec519.jpg574a0a0ff4c5fdcf12228c7ed222cd94.jpg46e1b88866b7d34340e94abc316a7ff5.jpgf5084afb8c97594aa4b761724e224664.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I will be doing some upgrading over the next few months...

Ordered:

2 Minidsp ddrc88ms

3 Pass ACA stereo/mono amps

Diy projects:

2 2' x 2' MEHs modeled from the small side of my MEHs. These will use the same drivers, but the horn will be made of MDF.

Selling:

4 Klipsch rp160Ms

Musical Fidelity MX VYNL phono preamp

Yamaha CXA 5100 preamp

Xilica xp4080 crossover

Some Icepower asx20btl, and asx125SE/BTL amp modules

Dune HD PRO 4K PLUS media player

I will be doing some upgrading over the next few months...

Ordered:
Minidsp ddrc88m
2 Pass ACA stereo/mono amps

Diy projects:
2 2' x 2' MEHs modeled from the small side of my MEHs. These will use the same drivers, but the horn will be made of MDF.

Selling:
4 Klipsch rp160Ms
Musical Fidelity MX VYNL phono preamp
Yamaha CXA 5100 preamp
Xilica xp4080 crossover
Some Icepower asx20btl, and asx125SE/BTL amp modules
Dune HD PRO 4K PLUS media player

Are exchanging the Xilica for the Minidsp? I would think there would be a down grade to sq.

What Exactly are the 2'x2' mehs for?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Impressive space and project to undertake

It's been a while.....

Your space reminds me of the rooms in the Roman baths in Pompeii.

Vaulted ceiling and the shape and placement of the window etc....

With the speakers pointed away from the windows,

should be similar to the older theaters with the balcony, I always though the balcony had a better view and sound at the Uptown  in DC, and others. Audio for Apocalypse Now was excellent first run..

• Like 1