Crown or QSC amp.....

I was originally looking for an amp to match my Carver C-1 and TX-11a but if looks like an M1.0 or M1.5t is a but too much $$$.

Looking for input on either of the two below for use in the home with my antique but recapped Technics SB-7's (87db sens.) or maybe outside for some parties/grill outs/gatherings with my newly acquired HIP's. Yes, the HIP's will possibly be taken to near concert levels. 😁😁

https://www.parts-express.com/crown-xli-1500-power-amplifier-2-x-450w-at-4-ohms--245-5128

Or

https://www.samash.com/qsc-gx3-stereo-power-amplifier-qgx3xxxxx?cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-Live Sound-_-Channeladvisor-_-QSC+GX3+Stereo+Power+Amplifier&utm_source=GSH&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CAWELAID=1594726599&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=28120526597&CATCI=pla-265306536850&catargetid=500002510000071315&cadevice=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-dWYpKS72wIVBzBpCh1P0w6QEAQYCCABEgL1ZPD_BwE

I have had Crown amps in the past.  Currently I have 2 QSC/GX-5 amps powering center & rears.  I think they are solid amps and work great in a home system for both music and movies.  Yes you can faintly hear the fans but even at low volumes, the fans disappear.

3 minutes ago, rockhound said:

I have several crown amps and a QSC PLX series amp

He's not looking at a PLX series though.  Either would be fine for casual listening or if he's not planning on pushing them hard.  If so, I'd go with a PLX or PLX2 (they sound identical but have a slightly different look and feature set).

I have no experience with that model Crown, but they make great products.

I have both GX-3 and GX-5 from QSC......great amps for the money!  My GX-3 is running my KP-450's in my cave.  It runs them with authority.....deep and clean!

Hogfan

REALHORNS Ready to go
Power to the people, but cool to the speakers
68 Kw true peak energy 26Hz to 80 Hz
Generated from 12 units CROWN I-Tech 5000 and 6000
Each amp has its own separate digitally AES/EBU input.
Processed through a 800Mips BSS BLU-160 Audio engine
To cool down the waste heat of the water cooled speakers, there is a 3 phase powered compressor cooling machine at lower left

FB_IMG_1528500261308.jpg

FB_IMG_1528500400375.jpg

On 6/5/2018 at 5:35 PM, HOGFAN said:

I have no experience with that model Crown, but they make great products.

I have both GX-3 and GX-5 from QSC......great amps for the money!  My GX-3 is running my KP-450's in my cave.  It runs them with authority.....deep and clean!

Hogfan

Hogfan, do you still hear fan noise with your GX3?  I just bought one and I hear fan noise with no program playing AND some ground buzzing through my HIP's. Although I haven't tried a ground lift yet.

• Moderators
On 6/5/2018 at 4:35 PM, HOGFAN said:

LI have no experience with that model Crown, but they make great products.

Same here, I use a XTI 1002 bridged for a sub not a XLI and it's a great amp, but it does have a loud fan, I would make sure the XLI does not use the same fan. Never had any QSC before but no matter what you get make sure the fan is quiet. Never having a loud fan before I didn't realize how loud some can be, it can be quite surprising. 

Well, I went with the QSC GX3 because the price was the same everywhere AND Guitar Center had one not too far away.

Got it home and my first impression was iffy. I usually run amps at unity gain but there was WAY too much system noise coming through the HIP's. I had to turn it down to only the first (#1) notch so I could listen at low volumes.

Next was the fan noise. Again, a bit loud for me. I disconnected the fan and only played it at low volumes, but it still got terribly hot. The next I noticed the stock fan was the same dimensions as a desktop computer case. There's a Micro Center not far away so I dropped $20 on a 15db fan, adapter cable from 3-wire to 2-wire and some peel-n-stick rubber feet. Also stuck some peel-n-stick felt spots under the fan bracket for isolation. Thing ran cool as a cucumber and nearly silent  after cranking it for about 2 1/2 hours. 😎😎

UPDATE: The ground lift worked perfectly! Still not going unity gain though. That would make the volume control WAY too fast.