Receiver for Palladium Home Theater Speakers

infinitron

I currently have an Integra DTR 50.4 that is powering a pair of Palladium 17B bookshelves and a Palladium 27C center (my sub is in flux and I don't have rears at the moment). My primary use for my setup is TV and movies (95%) and then audio (streaming from pc, spotify, or phono). 

My audio guy is strongly in the camp that the Integra is not fully showcasing the speakers as well as some other receivers could. He's suggesting either the NAD T787 with the newest HDMI MDC installed or an Audio Control AVR-7 or AVR-9. These receivers are definitely a step up in audio quality from the Integra I currently have, but I'm concerned that they don't focus as much on video and thus I might run into problems (looking at forum posts, people complain of HDMI handshake issues and ARC issues). He is also trying to persuade me to stay away from some Asian manufacturers (Marantz, Denon, Onkyo/Integra, Yamaha, Pioneer) as he claims the audio will not be as warm. 

I don't have a ton of data points to work with from personal experience. If anyone here has insights on a suitable sounding AV receiver that will mostly be handling video and dialogue over stereo sound, I would be greatful for your input. 

Edited by infinitron

@infinitron,

Welcome to the forum.

9 minutes ago, infinitron said:

I currently have an Integra DTR 50.4 that is powering a pair of Palladium 17B bookshelves and a Palladium 27C center (my sub is in flux and I don't have rears at the moment). My primary use for my setup is TV and movies (95%) and then audio (streaming from pc, spotify, or phono). 

My audio guy is strongly in the camp that the Integra is not fully showcasing the speakers as well as some other receivers could.

I happen to like Onkyo/Integra gear and think that they sound great. 

9 minutes ago, infinitron said:

He's suggesting either the NAD T787 with the newest HDMI MDC

I am completely satisfied with my NAD pre/pro and believe that his suggestion of the T787 is spot on.  You may even consider the T777 if you want to get by a little cheaper.  You could also add an outboard amp to either of them if you really want the Palladiums to sing.

Anthem would also be a great choice IMO.

Bill

11 minutes ago, infinitron said:

He is also trying to persuade me to stay away from some Asian manufacturers (Marantz, Denon, Onkyo/Integra, Yamaha, Pioneer) as he claims the audio will not be as warm. 

I prefer "accurate"(neutral) over "warm".

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hit me up if you ever want to sell the front 3 :) I powered my Palladiums with both a Pioneer Elite Receiver and an Emotiva XPA-5 and they sounded great either way. 

I, like Scrappy, have always wanted to dive into the Anthem camp but the right deal just hasn’t presented itself. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, K5SS said:

Hit me up if you ever want to sell the front 3 :) I powered my Palladiums with both a Pioneer Elite Receiver and an Emotiva XPA-5 and they sounded great either way. 

I, like Scrappy, have always wanted to dive into the Anthem camp but the right deal just hasn’t presented itself. 

What are you rocking now? I don’t get on here much anymore now that i run the Klipsch owners Facebook group. Haven’t seen a post from you in a while. 

• Like 1

While I might agree with your dealer if we were discussing the entry-level lines from Denon Marantz Onkyo, etc but if you're looking at the flagship from those brands that's a different story.

I've been using top-tier receivers from Yamaha & Denon since the late 90's (anyone remember the Yamaha DSP-A1?) and have been impressed with the build quality, sound quality and features list with each of them. I still have an old Denon 4802R that isn't being used but I'm reluctant to dump it because no current receiver under $1,500 can touch its sound quality. Someday I'll setup a second home theater in the house or give it to my son when he moves out....

Ask your dealer how long he'll let you compare the ones he's pushing to your current setup in your home. If he really wants a sale, there should be a reasonable return period offered.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

What are you rocking now? I don’t get on here much anymore now that i run the Klipsch owners Facebook group. Haven’t seen a post from you in a while. 

I went down a Martin Logan rabbit hole for a while and I am looking to get back into a Klipsch setup. I am always creeping the classifieds for RF-63’s/83’s and lately, I have been looking back at Palladium speakers. 

I will look up the Klipsch FB page and join!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 9:01 PM, Scrappydue said:

I ran my palladium setup on a denon with zero issues. If i were doing it all over again I’d probably go the anthem route. 

I still kick myself in the butt for not buying your 17s at the time.

33 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

I have them back again now. 

Since I bought the Ohms (and a motorbike last year), any further major purchases could lead to death by wife. At least in the near to intermediate time period.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 9:28 AM, infinitron said:

My audio guy is strongly in the camp that the Integra is not fully showcasing the speakers as well as some other receivers could. He's suggesting either the NAD T787 with the newest HDMI MDC installed or an Audio Control AVR-7 or AVR-9. These receivers are definitely a step up in audio quality from the Integra I currently have, but I'm concerned that they don't focus as much on video and thus I might run into problems (looking at forum posts, people complain of HDMI handshake issues and ARC issues). He is also trying to persuade me to stay away from some Asian manufacturers (Marantz, Denon, Onkyo/Integra, Yamaha, Pioneer) as he claims the audio will not be as warm. 

I don't have a ton of data points to work with from personal experience. If anyone here has insights on a suitable sounding AV receiver that will mostly be handling video and dialogue over stereo sound, I would be greatful for your input. 

Are you willing to sell your center?

OP, if you don't need 4k or Atmos, one of the best receivers I have found is the Sherbourn SR-120. It sounds fantastic with both music and movies. 125 bench tested watts across the front three and 75 wats for the other four channels. I own four of these.

There is one on Ebay right now for $400 starting bid. Retail price was $2999 and weighs in at 73 lbs.

On 6/14/2018 at 1:05 AM, K5SS said:

This is my setup

11.2 or 7.4.2 setup
2x Klipsch Palladium P39f triamping
1x Klipsch Palladium P27c biamping
4x Klipsch Palladium P27s biamping
2x Klipsch Palladium P312w
4x Klipsch CDT5800 ceiling

6x Emotiva XPA 100  Gen 2 Monoblock
2x Emotiva XPA 5  Gen 2 multichannel 
1x Emotiva XPA 7  Gen 3 multichannel

• Like 1