KG1's

ThomasD.

Been watching this CL ad for a month now. 

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/ele/d/4-very-nice-vintage-klipsch/6580302397.html 

4- KG1's and an older amp down to $200 now.  Any older Klipsch items are rare up here in Alaska.  Can the KG1's be upgraded?  Does Crites make any X/O kits?  2 pairs for $200 doesn't sound too bad.  I know they're just book shelf style but they are a real wood veneer that seem in pretty good condition.  Just hate to see decent Klipsch go to waste. Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks

• Like 1

this is just my opinion but I bought a pair of these a few years ago for my sister. She needed something for an apartment that wouldn’t upset her neighbors...I auditioned them and was struck by the Klipsch Family sound.

they won’t knock you out with bass but I thought they sounded good for smaller speakers...that price is nice too. 

Bill 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThomasD. said:

4- KG1's and an older amp down to $200 now

Welcome to the forum :D 

Yes; go get them ... nice introduction to Klipsch speakers. Just know that you will be upgrading to bigger and better ones soon :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

@silversport   My Polk Monitor 7c's aren't bass monsters either.  I've got a couple of Klipsch HT subs that can fill in the lows.  Just liked the size.  More WAF friendly.  My Polk SDA2a's have  all the 2 channel bass I need.  But there just doesn't seem to be very much information regarding any upgrades to the KG1's.  The KG1.5 and on were obviously much more popular.

@Emile   Forte II's or III's are probably my ultimate Klipsch goal.  Closer to the Heresy footprint but with the 15" PR's.  I'd certainly not turn down an opportunity for some Cornwalls though.  I almost had a pair of Forte II's but waited too long for the price to drop.  My wife thinks all speakers should be heard and not seen.  I on the other hand see quality sound equipment, both speakers & gear, as a form of art that should be beautiful to view as well as hear.  I find my older Marantz 2230 receiver,  Carver M1.0 & M200t amps, C2 Pre & TX2 tuner as enjoyable to look at as listen to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasD. said:

Now that's a 'wall' of sound

Hi Thomas ... not bad, but actually a "small" system compared to some of the stuff members show off here :D 

The "black" boxes are KPT-904 Pro speakers ( http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KPT-904-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf ) ... took the horn "off" and put it in a separate box.  They are powered by my Marantz 2252B.  The rest is on my AVR. :) The Yamaha center will be replaced next week by a Klipsch Heresy :) 

Hello Emile,

Wanting to use my Marantz 2230 as a Pre and find something like a Marantz 250 as an amp for it but they are hard to come by.  The 2230 is clean and almost tube like but a little under powered for what I'm use to with my Carvers.  Are you happy with your 2252B?  I've been toying with the idea of getting a reel to reel but am unsure of availability of music on the reels.  Do you have a source for your reels?  The Heresy should be perfect as a center since vocals are it's strong point.  Do you have a 'single' Heresy along with you H1's?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Thomas,

If you haven't done it yet, I would definitely pick those up. I just bought a pair of KG 1s and paired with a Pioneer SX-650 for our master bedroom and it sounds amazing considering their size. I don't believe you will regret it. Doing a quick search of Crite's website, I didn't see any upgrades for the KG 1 as I was wondering the same thing. They sound great to me just as they are though. 

Good luck!

On 6/17/2018 at 9:27 AM, ARjetman said:

Hey Thomas,

If you haven't done it yet, I would definitely pick those up. I just bought a pair of KG 1s and paired with a Pioneer SX-650 for our master bedroom and it sounds amazing considering their size. I don't believe you will regret it. Doing a quick search of Crite's website, I didn't see any upgrades for the KG 1 as I was wondering the same thing. They sound great to me just as they are though. 

Good luck!

They're 400 miles away at the moment.  Trying to coordinate a trip down to pick them up.  Already made 1 special trip down this past winter to get a pair of Polk SDA 2a's that were advertised on CL also.  I emailed Mr. Crites about any possible upgrades for the KG's but haven't heard back.  @ARjetmanMay I ask what you paid for your KG's?

Yes sir. I paid $100 for them on eBay and they are in really nice condition. A couple of minor issues with the veneer that you can't even notice from a few feet away and they are mechanically perfect. Unfortunately, with eBay, I had to pay $60 shipping. If it is 400 miles, you could probably get those shipped cheaper unless you were needing to go that way anyway. Crite's website is a little primitive but I believe it lists everything available. critesspeakers.com. You can also call him at 479-967-1542. I do agree with what Emile said too because it has happened to me. If you fall in love with Klipsch, you may end up on a journey of bigger and better. I have four sets now. It's not a bad thing though.

Great luck to you! -Rick

Yes, the 'vintage audio bug' has bitten me.  I'm partial to vintage Polk & Klipsch speakers, vintage Carver & Marantz amps, pre's, tuners & receivers.  Have trouble passing them up as seldom as they become available up here.  I called Mr. Crites a couple weeks ago, talked to his wife I think but still no response.  Thinking they're pretty simple X/O's that should be fairly simple to update the caps and such. 

@ARjetman  @silversport & @Emile   Thank you all.  I quit procrastinating and contacted the seller tonight. Offered him $150 for the 4 KG1's,  transferred the funds to his account and will pick them up next month when I get down there.  😄  Now to convince my wonderful wife why saving these 4 little vintage speakers is (almost) as important  as rescuing our 4 Italian Greyhounds was. They do eat very little, make much less of a mess and don't need a sitter when we go on vacation.  And for $150 these are considerably cheaper than a single IGGY dental cleaning.  Thanks again for all your advice & input.  Now to find those elusive Forte's or Cornwalls that will probably be my endgame Klipsch speaker.

Thomas

On 6/6/2018 at 11:03 PM, ThomasD. said:

Hello Emile,

Wanting to use my Marantz 2230 as a Pre and find something like a Marantz 250 as an amp for it but they are hard to come by.  The 2230 is clean and almost tube like but a little under powered for what I'm use to with my Carvers.  Are you happy with your 2252B?  I've been toying with the idea of getting a reel to reel but am unsure of availability of music on the reels.  Do you have a source for your reels?  The Heresy should be perfect as a center since vocals are it's strong point.  Do you have a 'single' Heresy along with you H1's?

Hi @ ThomasD ... sorry for the late reply ... just "missed" it :( 

If you are driving Klipsch speakers with your Marantz 2230, I am sure you will have sufficient power. The Marantz 250 looks awesome, but probably enough power for a stadium :D Love my 2252B ... it is hooked up to Pro KPT-904 speakers ... when I turn it "up," all the neighbors come over for wine ... obviously loud enough :) 

I've got 2 reel to reels ... a "good" Teac 1000R and a smaller (7") Akai. A lot of fun, even though I (almost) never use it ... but just "had to have it." :D  You can find reels on FleaBay, but usually the are pretty expensive (go for 7IPS). Better source is a local (used) record shop if there is one in your area ... they often have a small selection.

Yes; have a Heresy now as a center channel. :) Much, much, much better than any "horizontal" center speaker ... they "suck" :D ... mostly "marketing" because it looks nice with a TV.

Good luck with your KG1's ... think you will like them.  Next are the Forte's or Cornwall's ... much better :D but not even close to the Klipsch Pro speakers ... but low WAF on those ... be careful :D 

Cheers, Emile

I just got an email from Mr. Crites regarding the KG1 X/O's. 

This is what he said: 

"Thomas,
I could likely rebuild the KG-1 crossovers, but I do not even have a schematic for that crossover.  Actually first time anyone has even asked me about that speaker as far as I can remember."

I Suggested that I might send a picture of the X/O's when I get mine and his response was:

"That might help since I have not even seen those.  The diaphragms for the tweeters should be no problem.  Should use the same titanium diaphragms as all  the rest of the KG series."

So, unless someone here has a picture handy of their KG1 X/O's,  I'll play the guinea pig and see what kind of upgrades can be performed by Mr. Crites. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Rivernuggets  If you could provide a relatively close up pic of the KG-1 X/O without too much trouble, that would be great.  Otherwise I'm headed down to pick mine up next week but would like to get a pic to Mr. Crites sooner than later and see what his response is.  Also, going to look at a pair of KG-4's advertised on CL.  Wants $600 for the pair & a KV-4 center channel.  Seems high but worth a look.  Thanks