KG1's

ThomasD.

Mr. Crites response;

OK, you can send them.  I estimate around $110.00 per pair for the crossovers rebuilds.  The tweeter diaphragms are $54.00 per pair plus $30.00 per pair to install and test.  Plus shipping back to you.

So, thinking since I've got 2-pairs, I'll send one pair of x/o's & tweets so I can compare to the non upgraded pair. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just registered here because I just finally got around to taking a look at the crossover on a pair of KG1s I found in a neighbor's trash last summer (reminder to knock on his door and ask if he is throwing anything else away.)  I immediately loaned the speakers out to a coworker as the wife says I have too many speakers as is (Heresy II, RB-51 II) but my 7 year old son wants a system in his room. I figured the KG1s would be a good match for an old Onkyo receiver I have sitting around and I'd like to place the speakers flush against the wall. 

For the record the KG1 board uses the same board as the KG1 but in a different configuration and component values.  In fact, the QC sticker in the photo above hides that fact as below it the board is printed with both KG1 and KG3.  Easy to get confused if you're shopping by looking at the board, so for future reference - check the component values.

I replaced the two 25uF electrolytic capacitors with Polypropylene capacitors (they are monsters - had to make leads for each of them), and the two 5 Ohm / 5 Watt Resistors.  I skipped the film caps as my understanding is those rarely go bad.  Plus I didn't feel like putting too much money into these speakers!

I did an a/b test to see the improvement after one speaker was done and it was noticeable but nothing earth shattering.

In terms of comparison over the past hour with the rebuilt crossovers the Heresy III fills my relatively small living room quite well but the KG1s are no slouch.  The RB-51 II's are a solid last in the scheme of things.  I'll say this - I could live with the KG1s in a pinch given my space but don't tell my wife that. I really like these little speakers.  Quite enjoyable with the Elekit TU-8200 running KT88s over the past hour.

Last year I bought a pair of KG 1 for $50 to use in my garage... just for kicks I connected them in my main system which had a pair of Revel M106, a great small monitor.  I could not believe how lively and just plain good they sounded with some quality electronics.  They sounded great driven by a a pair of EL 34 mono amps.   They didn't sound "better" but they were more fun to listen to.  That prompted me to listen to a pair of Heresy III and I ordered a pair that day.   I wanted the live sound of that little KG 1 but way more of it. 

17 hours ago, BadChile said:

In terms of comparison over the past hour with the rebuilt crossovers the Heresy III fills my relatively small living room quite well but the KG1s are no slouch.  The RB-51 II's are a solid last in the scheme of things.  I'll say this - I could live with the KG1s in a pinch given my space but don't tell my wife that. I really like these little speakers.  Quite enjoyable with the Elekit TU-8200 running KT88s over the past hour.

@BadChile  Interesting.  Been looking at the TU-8200DX from tubedepot for awhile now as an entry into the world of tubes.

On 7/7/2018 at 1:53 PM, ThomasD. said:

@BadChile  Interesting.  Been looking at the TU-8200DX from tubedepot for awhile now as an entry into the world of tubes.

It really is a nice little amp - I had done some soldering before but nothing of this magnitude, so I got a Hakko knock off, a bunch of tips, some 63/37 solder, a few other toys, and a handful of practice kits off ebay.  Got pretty comfortable with soldering on circuit boards within 2-3 kits so bit the bullet and got the TU-8200 (DX + upgrades).  The Canadian importer really bailed me out when the seller (here in the US) didn't respond to emails as some parts were missing from the kit.

I'm really close to getting a TU-8600 because I like the 8200 so much.  Both as an amp and a nice project to spend my evenings working on, I found assembling the 8200 quite enjoyable to and got a little teary eyed when I realized I was completed.

In a nice little aside my wife wasn't impressed with both the time I spent building it (12 or so hours), didn't like that I spent the money on the amp; but a few weeks later she did say how much nicer it sounded compared to my old Onkyo receiver.  So I got that going for me.  If I do get it either my 7 year old will inherit the 8200 or I'll biamp the Heresys, using the TU-8200 for the bass and the TU-8600 for the mids and highs.

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to these KG-1's for a couple of days now.  Have them sitting on top of my Polk SDA2a's which puts the tweeters about 48.5" up.  Knew they would be shy in Bass so I've got my RW8 set @ 60 hz.  Powered with a Carver M200t & C2 pre.  Got to say, very impressive as a bookshelf speaker with great (IMO) mids and adequate highs.  The K83 tweet seems to lack the forwardness of a true Klipsch horn.  It needs elevation and some supportive low end bass but very pleasant to listen to for extended periods of time.  And it can crank!  Actually comes alive much more in the upper range at higher volumes. Will send one pair of the X/O's off to Mr. Crites for upgrade and install the Titanium diaphrams.  Then can A/B the upgraded to the original.  Picked up the KG-4's for $300 and like them too so far.  Have them tilted 5-6 degrees and angled in to the listening position.  Bass is surprising as is imaging.  Noticed that they really need some elevation too. The lower I sit, the better they sound.  Were risers, other than the factory installed ones recommended for the KG-4's?  Also, whats recommended to preserve the paper tags on the back?  Clear tape or something else?  All pairs seem to be consecutive but 1 set of the KG-1's is missing and I'd like to save the remaining stapled on labels.  Thanks