Intel is giving away 8,000 retro-inspired Core i7-8086 chips

JBCODD

Beginning at 1600, PDT, and lasting for 24 hrs you can sign up for a chance to win an 8th gen Intel desktop chip. This is the chip only, so being able to build a computer is a plus, but these days that is easier than building an amplifier.  Follow the link below to register. And yes, I did perform some of the manufacturing of these fine products.

https://game.intel.com/8086sweepstakes/

Good luck.

Too bad on the single core only 5GHz. 

Intel screwed up big time at CES with that 28 core stunt. Even funnier was AMD pulling out the 32 core TR, and then Intel going around the show floor and removing the marketing mistakes from the Asus and Gigabyte machines. They know they screwed up! 

Anyway, I remember my first PC. We were too poor for the 8086, so we had 8088. Dad did manage to get his hands on the 8087 to drop in.

Interesting times, using higher model numbers on a slower processor. 

Anyway, happy birthday to the x86 (40 years) and Intel (50 years)

Edited by alxlwson

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

Six cores, 12 threads, 5 GHz. I'll use it to build a computer that runs XP, so I can store my recipes in Notepad.😕

You really should consider Word Perfect. It has spell check

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alxlwson said:

Too bad on the single core only 5GHz. 

Intel screwed up big time at CES with that 28 core stunt. Even funnier was AMD pulling out the 32 core TR, and then Intel going around the show floor and removing the marketing mistakes from the Asus and Gigabyte machines. They know they screwed up! 

Anyway, I remember my first PC. We were too poor for the 8086, so we had 8088. Dad did manage to get his hands on the 8087 to drop in.

Interesting times, using higher model numbers on a slower processor. 

Anyway, happy birthday to the x86 (40 years) and Intel (50 years)

8088 sweet the simple days when analog world still dominated.

Intel is not giving away 8000 prizes in the US, only 2,086.

How about entering if you are a citizen of Canada?  Quebec residents NOT eligible!  And if you are Canadian, then there's this:

Canadian residents must correctly answer, unaided, a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question as posed by Sponsor.

The entry form is weird.  There is a blank box and you are supposed to figure out to put your email in, there are no instructions.  I put mine in and hit "Submit" and the form is just sitting there, locked up, 23 hours to go.

EditI canceled mine out as Firefox looked like the problem.  I entered on Chrome and it asked for the email address and went through instantly after I hit "Submit."

It's just as well, I really don't want to win.  I have this irrational idea everyone will be lucky ONE time in their lives.  I don't want to waste my luck on a processor, I want to be lucky in a half-billion dollar lottery.  🥇 (first place medal)

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Intel is not giving away 8000 prizes in the US, only 2,086.

How about entering if you are a citizen of Canada?  Quebec residents NOT eligible!  And if you are Canadian, then there's this:

The entry form is weird.  There is a blank box and you are supposed to figure out to put your email in, there are no instructions.  I put mine in and hit "Submit" and the form is just sitting there, locked up, 23 hours to go.

EditI canceled mine out as Firefox looked like the problem.  I entered on Chrome and it asked for the email address and went through instantly after I hit "Submit."

It's just as well, I really don't want to win.  I have this irrational idea everyone will be lucky ONE time in their lives.  I don't want to waste my luck on a processor, I want to be lucky in a half-billion dollar lottery.  🥇 (first place medal)

The laws of Canadia, especially the Frenchy areas, are weird when it comes to contests and giveaways. That little question is there to prove mental competency. Some time not so long ago, a person won something, didn't understand the terms of winning, and ended up in a lawsuit.

• Thanks 1