Klipschorn listening distance

6 hours ago, garyrc said:

12 feet straight back from the line that goes from tweeter center to tweeter center [12.25 feet in my set-up] OR 12 feet back from the L & R speakers, along the lines that form the sides of the triangle [13.4 feet for me].  If the former, I only have 1/4 foot leeway. 

It's from the center point of the plane the speakers are on.

13 hours ago, Deang said:

The information I provided came from Jim Hunter.

You are probably correct about the minimum distance for a Klipschorn and its bi-furcated mouth. Most of my "experiments" are done with a Jubilee which has a bifurcated mouth with a much smaller splay angle (detailed in the JAES article on the Jubilee). 

There are other benefits of sitting closer, however, relatively less reflected energy compared to the direct sound and side wall (and ceiling) reflections are aimed behind (and not at) the listener. Experimentation is certainly in order.

25 minutes ago, Deang said:

No argument from me about the benefits of sitting close, I've been doing it for well over a decade -- and the Jubilee does an amazing job with that.

I'm forced to do that with my Jubes now. Another factor besides summing, should be, direct to reverberant field ratio of 1:1.

on my 2.2 channel k-horns they are in a 20' wide room and i sit back 17'

on my 5.2 channel k-horns they are in a 19' wide room and i sit back 14' in my recliner and 20' back at the bar

set my rat shack meter @ 100db on both

yee  ha

I've been reluctant to post this because of the danger of misinterpretation. But a while back I simulated the effects of the bifurcated mouths of the KHorn and the Jubilee, based upon assumptions about the reflectivity of the walls, floor, and ceiling.

To make this work requires some imagination. You have to imagine that the sound waves look like waves in the ocean. The peaks are colored red in these diagrams; the troughs are colored blue. The loudspeaker is at the top of the diagrams. The side wall is at the upper right. The front wall is at the upper left.

For these simulations the front wall reflection coefficient is 0.7071, the side wall coefficient is 0.5, the floor coefficient is 0.5, and the ceiling coefficient is 0.25. Distance along the walls is in feet, from zero (at the corner) to 20. The loudspeakers are modeled as point sources located at the geometric centers of the mouths of the KHorn or Jubilee, as appropriate.

JubileeResponse.png

KHornResponse.png

Edited by Edgar
Corrected misspelling.

Nice graphics, Greg...

These pictures seem to reinforce my listening experiences while moving around the bass bins playing sustained tones above ~400 Hz for both bass bin types.  The Khorn bass bins seem to have more "sources" from the adjacent walls when moving off axis than the Jub bass bins, but both suffer from this effect the higher that they play.  I can see why PWK crossed the Khorn bass bins at 400 Hz to avoid a "diffuse midbass" sound.  It's the job of the midrange to not only fill the midrange band, but also smooth out the midbass polar coverage lobing. 

I'm aware that people believe that if you sit on-axis that the problem will go away.  I've become a believer in the notion that all loudspeakers need consistent polar coverage vs. frequency--unless they're playing outside without boundary support/gain.

YMMV.

Chris