Inherited a set of La Scalas

Now what?

So yeah, these speakers were my father’s late 70s/early 80s ( not 100% sure on the year) La Scalas. Right now I have a very basic home theater surround sound set-up. I am not experienced in this high end of audiophile-ness. I want to use them obviously but I want to know basically would it be better to ditch the surround sound and go with a 2.1 set-up for the tv and music? Or keep my surround intact (cheap compared to these, Polk setup + sub) and use the La Scalas as the Front L and R? Will those other speakers be so bad in comparison that it would be better to stay two channel with the La Scalas? Also, my AV receiver is a Yamaha RX-V385. Will there be problems there? Again forgive my ignorance and hopefully I don’t get too much of a hard time for asking these basic questions. Below is some info.

The room is a small/moderate room with high ceiling. Like I said, will be used as TV speakers + music. Yamaha RX-V385 receiver. I don’t mind “investing” in a proper set-up for a home system, however, I certainly would never acquire La Scalas other than inheriting them like I did if that makes sense. Basically I would never have paid for these speakers new as $2-4K/speaker would be an insane amount for me personally to pay for anything. However, I am willing to sink $500-$1000 in order to upgrade where I can and after that slowly upgrade from there when I can. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mudcat3434
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum! Your Father has good taste in speakers. The LaScalas are some of the most detailed and revealing Klipsch speakers and if set up properly can sound almost exactly like live music. You can literally close your eyes and 'see' someone singing in front of you with a guitar, drums etc. I would ditch the polk speakers and run these as a 2.1 system. With the detail and 'big' soundstage, you will find you wont miss your surrounds.

First things first. Lets figure out what kind of LaScalas you have. If you look at the back of the speaker the crossover board will have a code written or stamped on it. Here is an example pic with the code highlighted:

image.png.b90005da7892d3497da5072f53c9d6d1.png

These speakers will run forever if properly cared for but its a good idea to replace the capacitors in your crossovers as they dry out and run out of spec. This means that the crossover points ie the frequency where the tweeter and the woofer meet may drift and your speakers wont play to their full potential. Different types were known to sound better than others and it will help you decide what direction you want to go in to refresh or upgrade them. Bob Crites runs a business dedicated to aftermarket Klipsch Heritage speaker components and is very highly regarded here. Depending on your type you can buy a new set from him or send in your current set to be rebuilt. New crossovers will run about $250 to $300 and the rebuild service about $120.

Here is a link to his website:

https://critesspeakers.com/

Regarding your amp, I would leave it for now. Its an entry level AVR but the LaScalas are very easy to drive to to their high efficiency and your budget is best spent elsewhere. 

Subwoofer- Now here is where you are going to want to sink most of your budget. LaScalas are big speakers but due to the horn loaded bass, dont play very deep. In fact, you might think something is wrong at first because you are missing the bass. However, with a good subwoofer you can fill in that bottom end very well. I personally think 15'' subwoofers are the best size option as they dig deep and move a lot of air. Here is a well regarded on from Klipsch, it is $900 but well worth it once you get it fired up. 

https://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-subwoofers?model=r-115sw

The 12'' model runs about $650:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-subwoofers?model=r-112sw

There are some other good brands as well that other members can help you with as they know more about the sub market than I do.

For now, just get the room figured out on how you want them placed and you should be fine to hook them up for some initial impressions. I would make sure all the connections on the crossover are tight first then play some music at low volume and put your ear to the tweeter then mid horn to make sure all the drivers are working. 

Again welcome to the forum. This place is a wealth of knowledge regarding speakers, audio theory and Klipsch history and its a very interesting place to be. There are even some former Klipsch employees who have assembled the speakers here and one of Klipsch's head designers pops in now and again. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and please enjoy the speakers that your father left you. I will second a lot of what TWK posted above and I am a fan of the Bob Crites upgrade to vintage Klipsch speakers. There is no need for you to rush into doing anything, in the meanwhile you can enjoy the speakers as they are. Bob Crites is a very nice approachable man, who will gladly help you decide what is best for you to do as far as bringing the speakers back up to spec.

On the back of the speaker should be a tag with the seial number of the speakers, the folks here will gladly decode it for you, along with the crossover type that TWK mentioned. The serial number may also be printed into the back of the speaker along the top of the frame. The Crossover upgrade from Bob is a drop in and connect the wires, type of thing, very easy. Bob will make suggestions given your budget.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, the folks here at the forum are very helpful. It makes us proud to get a classic pair of Klipsch speakers back up and running as they should.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forums.  I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your father and I'm glad you've decided to keep his La Scalas in the family.

Tons of good advice directly upstream ^^^. 

My bottom line advice is ditch the current cheap speakers and run the La Scala's for TV.   I would run them 2.0 for a while then add in the sub you already have for 2.1 so you can evaluate the speakers.  They are highly sought after on the used market, you've got some good ones.

Just plug them in and listen to them for a month or so.  I'm glad you have some money to upgrade the system but after a month you'll have a better idea of what you want to hear.  You might want another AVR, a lot of people will tell you to add a sub.  I like a strong center speaker because for TV 90% of the sound is dialog, and 90% of the dialog comes out of the center speaker.

Let's deal with the specifics of center speakers, subs, upgrades and other stuff in a month.  For right now plug and play the La Scala's and enjoy them. 

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who replied. Really great information and advice. I will get some details on the type. Unfortunately I am in Springdale, AR and the speakers are in Little Rock, AR at my sister’s house for safe keeping till I get them up here. I will update with pictures from my sister and definitely update this thread as I go along. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Mudcat3434 said:

I will get some details on the type. Unfortunately I am in Springdale, AR and the speakers are in Little Rock, AR at my sister’s house for safe keeping till I get them up here. I will update with pictures from my sister and definitely update this thread as I go along.

No problem.  Take your time and post when you want.

This is more than a simple thread about speakers, you are dealing with the loss of your father.  I know when I lost my father I had a hard time taking care of his business, it was just something I know I needed to do but I just didn't want to, if that makes any sense.   When you are ready to deal with the speakers and would like some advice or support, we're here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudcat3434 said:

The crossover is type AA.

EDIT: I can’t get it to post a picture so I’ll figure it out when I’m not on mobile.

The AA Crossovers are well regarded. As others have mentioned, I would listen to them for a few months then think about getting the crossovers capacitors replaced.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Got them all set up and wow is all I can say. Best sound I have ever heard from a speaker (granted I am not an audiophile). It is amazing. The sound stage is just incredible and you FEEL it. Next step is to send the crossovers on over to Bob at some point for a rebuild. Thanks for the help everyone and I guess I am officially part of the Klipsch family now.

• Like 5

Firstly, condolences to you and the family.  There truly are great group of people on board this forum. Everyone was most helpful in answering my questions after I acquired my Epic CF-3s many years ago.
I too had a limited budget and am very pleased with the results I have had after asking questions.
I also live in Springdale and there is quite a bit of good used gear around the area for when the time is right.Enjoy the gift your father left you.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE - Well last update guys, until I decide to take the plunge into tubes or something :) At this rate it won’t be long. 

I took back that Yamaha reciever (within the grace period) and got a much better Denon X3300W for slightly more off accessories4less. Discrete amps for each channel. Lots of room for surround sound expansion if I choose to and most importantly pre-outs. Then sent the crossovers to Bob to be rebuilt and replaced the squawker gaskets and my goodness what a difference those updates made. The clarity and tightness? It is hard to explain what I am hearing that is different as I am no audiophile, but it just sounds cleaner. And those old gaskets were toast in that driver. Anyway the advice was great. Now I plan to enjoy them and go from there. Stevie Ray Vaughan never sounded so good.

Edited by Mudcat3434
  • Like 3