Promedia 2.1 Desktop Speakers

nzxt

Bought Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers a year and few weeks ago. They sound great, but I'm sad to say that I'm having issues with them. When I turn the volume all the way down on the control pod both speakers still play audio faintly. Also when I plug headphones into the control pod the sound that comes out is somewhat distorted. You can also hear audio slightly coming out of the speaker while the headphones are plugged in. I never noticed this until now and called Klipsch, but they said I was a few weeks past the 1 year warranty. 

I did some research and it seems like their volume control pods are garbage. I've read threads on issues related to their control pods as early as 2003. Has anyone had the same issue? I paid extra for quality and instead got a headache.

Edited by nzxt

Ah man, this isn't what I want to be hearing! I just purchased the ProMedia 2.1 after going through an article on the top 10 pc speakers ( https://www.outeraudio.com/pc-speakers/ ) Although they listed them as 2nd on their list, the Promedia was quite a bit more costly but I liked that it came with a subwoofer. I'm really hoping your issue is a batch issue and not a standard problem? Were they doing this from the get-go or is it only a recent problem?

Edited by DougieDoug
spelling error

• 3 weeks later...
  • I have used them for prob 10 years on my computers and bought them as gifts for my kids. Have a set of Bluetooth in my shop that I feed with my Android cell phone. Have never had problems with them, even playing them loud, some people blow them though playing them at full volume. The only problem I have heard is the Bluetooth ones might suddenly start playing on their own, because they are always on, and if someone gets close to them with their phone set to broadcast a Bluetooth signal then they might start playing. Never had such a problem myself.
  •  
  • The price is pretty darn reasonable for something that for me has never failed.
  •  
  • I am pretty sure that when playing them through your computer, for max clarity one should turn the 'puter to max output and adjust the volume with the ProMedia volume control. That is certainly true if playing them thru one's cell, keep the cell volume set to max. Volume control should never be exercised through the preamp, only the amp. Cell signal and computer signals are akin to being preamps and the ProMedia is the amp.

• 1 year later...
On 6/15/2018 at 12:23 AM, M_Klipsch said:

I’ve had them in my office for eight years. I did replace the volume pod a couple of years back. Bought one new from klipsch for around $20. No other issues. They still sound great. 

Can you tell me your process for contacting support for that volume pod? I want to do the same.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Bikergofast said:

Can you tell me your process for contacting support for that volume pod? I want to do the same.

Welcome to the forum. That post is from a couple of years ago so I'm not sure if you will get a response. 

Hopefully someone will see this who has some recent experience. 

On 5/10/2020 at 1:30 PM, Bikergofast said:

I just had a look on the web site. They used to sell a replacement. I’m not seeing it listed now. It may still be available, but you’ll probably need to contact customer support. I’ve also heard of repair videos on YouTube, but haven’t checked them out. Good luck these are great computer speakers, except for this issue.  I find it surprising that they haven’t fixed it, or at least continued to make a replacement easily available.