Help with Klipsch Heresy Model h700

Chewy

So my grandparents had a pair of 1967 Model h700s, which are now in my hands. I wanted to hear how they sounded before I determined wether or not I would sell them, so I put my speaker knowledge to the test and looked for a 3.5mm port, but I couldn't find one, so I gave up. 

Questions:

1. What equipment would it take to connect these to something from this century? (I have no experience with speakers, amps, anything.)

2. Assuming they work, how much do these things go for?

Any information would be much appreciated, thanks.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place or anything.

IMG_3637.jpg

Edited by Chewy

Welcome to the forum, Chewy. You will probably need some sort of amplifier to do them justice. When I was waiting for parts for my amp, I powered my Heresy with a boom box. I detached the speakers the box came with and hooked the bare wires to the Heresy. They made sound, but were not anywhere as good as they are with a decent amp. With a proper source they are fantastic.

What are you using for a source?

As to value: Roughly $200-500 depending on cabinet condition and serviceability of the innards. Again, This is a rough guess. Other more expert forum members may have a more precise estimate based on relative rarity or desirability of a particular model. 

Thanks for the welcome. I'm kind of not sure what I'm going to use these for, I didn't expect to be getting new (50 year old) speakers. I've been playing Xbox on shitty TV speakers for a long time...

@Chewy,

Welcome to the forum.

You have yourself some beauties.  They are worth keeping for multiple reasons like they sound great and you would be holding on to a piece of your grandparents history.  Based on the one photo, assuming the rest of the speakers condition is at least as nice and they function properly, I would put the "value" close to the upper end of the given range from the previous post.  That value would be valid now as well as 5 years from now based on used price history over the last many years.

If possible, post more photos, top, sides, rear and without grills if they can be removed, don't force that if they can't.  Also, give us your general location, maybe a well respected forum member in your area(assuming there is a well respected member near you;):P) can stop by and help you get those babies purring like they are known for.

Bill

I would not sell them if they were from my grand parents. Those are some great speakers. They may need a few repairs but well worth it. Once you hear them working properly you will be floored I bet. Nothing under 2000 can keep up with them buy a good reciever or borrow one.  Accesories4less they have great ones around 150. 

But if you do sell them offer them on here first you will get fair price and someone who appreciates them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willland said:

@Chewy,

Welcome to the forum.

You have yourself some beauties.  They are worth keeping for multiple reasons like they sound great and you would be holding on to a piece of your grandparents history.  Based on the one photo, assuming the rest of the speakers condition is at least as nice and they function properly, I would put the "value" close to the upper end of the given range from the previous post.  That value would be valid now as well as 5 years from now based on used price history over the last many years.

If possible, post more photos, top, sides, rear and without grills if they can be removed, don't force that if they can't.  Also, give us your general location, maybe a well respected forum member in your area(assuming there is a well respected member near you;):P) can stop by and help you get those babies purring like they are known for.

Bill

Actually those I would think would likely be a couple hundred more for the pair if they both look like that.  Definitely keepers, even if you have no use for them.

5 hours ago, geoff. said:

Had velcro been invented yet in 1967?

If not, how is the grille held on?

Those are definitely some classy looking speakers!

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Grilles on those were wrapped around the motorboard and stapled to the rear side of it.  Then the motorboard was NORMALLY screwed to the blocks in the front of the cabinet.  The seal of the motorboard to the cabinet is not as solid as the ones from later where they were glued into the cabinet and Velcro was used to attach the grille cloth panel....but it was the common way to do things in the mid-1960's. 

I would just get an amp of some kind, or better yet, a receiver , and give them a listen....I am pretty sure your grandparents took good care of them from the one pic you posted, and they probably never overpowered anything so everything should still work fine.  I am not sure, but I believe they will BASICALLY have the same network in them (E) as mine from 1978 have, EXCEPT for the polarity reversal having been done for one of the drivers (I am not sure which one, but I think it is the woofer) having been done...and that can be done with a screwdriver in five minutes.  It is in the Dope from Hope stuff about the e-type network polarity change somewhere...circa end of 1960's/beginning of 1970's.

• Like 2

I have a single '67 H700 that looks just like yours.  it has a Type C crossover, shown in a pinned thread.  The woofer should be a grey cast aluminum E-V SP-12B, labeled K-22.  Tne squawker and tweeter are the same K-55-V and K-77 that Heresies had until about 1980.  The crossover has important differences that make it sound less bright than a Heresy I with a Type E crossover.  They are keepers!  Bare speaker wires go under the screws on the rear.  They should have a 15 to 100 watt receiver.  Your Xbox wull never sound so good. 

I managed to find an old receiver that my mom had and hooked up one of the speakers and it sounds great! I don't have any more pictures at the moment, but other than a few stains and scratches on the tops, the wood looks great, a quick sand/polish will probably make them look good as new. I'm definitely going to be keeping these assuming the second speaker sounds as good as the first. Thanks everyone for all the advice!

the veneer on these may be very thin so go easy on any sanding or you may go right through the finish...look around here on the Forum as there are MANY threads about care and feeding of your new Klipsch time capsules...nice way to honor your heritage is listening to Klipsch Heritage...enjoy!

Bill

9 hours ago, Chewy said:

I managed to find an old receiver that my mom had and hooked up one of the speakers and it sounds great! I don't have any more pictures at the moment, but other than a few stains and scratches on the tops, the wood looks great, a quick sand/polish will probably make them look good as new. I'm definitely going to be keeping these assuming the second speaker sounds as good as the first. Thanks everyone for all the advice!

Excellent decision. You will not regret it.