Sunn speakers ??? Khorn copy ???

Emile

I realize what the Seller has in those but it's not realistic to think you'd get the same money back out of them.  At that $2K price pointI would look for Khorns instead, for the sound and for the resale value.

Still, I give the Seller full credit for explaining what he has and how he came to that price.  He sounds very knowledgeable and honest.  You kind of have to when selling a basterdized speaker because you have to "sell" the sound since nobody else knows what they sound like.

• Like 1

Yeah; wasn't going to pay $2000 :D  Mostly wondering if it was worth an hour trip to check them out :) 

add-on: $2000 less $200 eBay fee less $300 shipping equals $1500. Maybe he'll take $1K ... need those like a hole in the head :D 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Emile said:

Yeah; wasn't going to pay $2000 :D  Mostly wondering if it was worth an hour trip to check them out :) 

There 35 minutes from you go take a drive... Tell the wife your going to buy

A.case of wine !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you are familiar with the Altec 9844 or Klipsch Jubilee, you know the benefit of dual 12" drivers in a curved front baffle

Uh....not exactly at least as far as Jube is concerned. These low freq cabinets are like @jwc 's mini punch(I think that's what he called it) that GotHover WAS going to make kits for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Sounds like the guy is wanting it to be like the Khorn or Jube, about as close to a correct statement by him is large wooden horn, nothing else is anywhere close. 

That design only goes down to 50Hz, well that sucks. Wouldn't pay more that the drivers are worth, if I needed the drivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is a p.a. speaker, much like (as the seller says) the front loaded horn of an Altec A7. They weren't meant to play low. Similar to the Yamaha speakers I picked up. Shallow, flat wall horn. Excellent 800-20khz compression driver, though.

images.jpg

• Like 2

I remember these coming out.  I don't think the company lasted too long but a few groups, mostly West coast, used them.  They weren't very durable for road use.  At that point in time it was a  lot of $$$ and they just couldn't do what a pair of LS did in the home or on the road.  For the $$$ you could pick up a pair of raw birch and beat the crap outta them!  LOVE my raw birch w/a couple lil beauty marks...  Takes me "home" to my safe place!    😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

I remember these coming out.  I don't think the company lasted too long but a few groups, mostly West coast, used them.

Sunn was big in the '80s then Fender bought them and sold the brand until 2001-2002. I recently heard a band using Sunn PA boxes with the same  midrange horn. Didn't sound bad but the high frequencies beamed pretty badly.

• Like 2

Maybe $300.

Just slapping together stuff and thinking it's worth that sum is rarely a valid move.

Properly designing the crossover to match the components and matching the components to each other with the crossover is the only way to go.  The front loaded horn without at least a lot of bass port assist will not be anything even comparable to folded horns used by Klipsch and others..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If anyone was serious about checking out those speakers, first two odd items is a1.2khz crossover with a k55 mid.  Why not a good two way design with a proper driver that can be used from 1.2khz and up?  Just a start, and not to mention the little $330 profit.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:23 PM, babadono said:
Uh....not exactly at least as far as Jube is concerned. These low freq cabinets are like @jwc 's mini punch(I think that's what he called it) that GotHover WAS going to make kits for.

I have 3 pair of the mino punches. They were easily better than k horns but not match to the jubs. With the CSW45O that is jub/mini punch compatible they tied the Jubs.  Dig deeper. JWCs design is horn loaded with a tratrix flair and ported.  Total pain in the *** to built but a real contenter to the jub/k402 combo.  And more importantly... so much smaller. 104db if I recall. 

I contine to have a soft spot for the LS. The Khorn can sound amazing, but placement is a real consideration. I have Jub clones. Likely the best speaker Ive very head... ALK crossovers and all, but the sheer size killed them off. Folded horns have a legitimate place in the order of things, but when balancing size and performance the size question becomes the weak link. 

The Sunn speaker looks like some bad PA close stuff I see all the time with DJs.

• Like 1